Battlestar Galactica

Someone to Watch Over Me

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 27, 2009 on Syfy

• Shakespearean soap opera at its best.

THAT'S how wou do characterisation, THAT'S how you build suspense and use pathos; not with a "Chicago Hope" soccer mom tearjerker from last week, but with a hard, deep look at the psyche of the characters, the longings and the fears; you tie it up in a story where they know what is to gain but we don't, or they don't know what's to lose but we do. I am continually impressed by the provess of Katie Sakhoff. Not only has she emerged as the absolute best young character among the heavyweights Olmos and McDonnell, but there doesn't seem to be an end in sight to the depth of her character.
    I was equally impressed by tight, foolproof writing of the episode; they though this one completely through; the crechendo of the song she plaid was a magnificent shiver-through-the-back moment and if there was ever a true pivotal moment in the episode, man, that was it with a bullet.
    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold." - said Shakespeare at his best, and where I never expected BSG to rise to such an occasion, we are surely getting there now, both actually, with the ruination of the ship and the (impending or true) death of Roslyn, and figuratively, with characters driven to the ends of their respective spectrums.
    A fine, fine uverture to the final arc, and if we are to take a look at the bard once again, I am expecting it to be venomous, bitter, violent affair. Here we go.