Battlestar Galactica

Someone to Watch Over Me

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 27, 2009 on Syfy

• Kara's life goes full circle as the mystery of the Cylons starts to unravel. Meanwhile Boomer goes boom.

Like a Norman Rockwell painting. I'm not quite sure what that expression means. And yet as you watch this episode literally unfold like a flower or something. That's what this episode I guess is all about.

When you look at a painting everyone is going to have their own opinion about it, which isn't necessarily wrong or right. But it's how it makes you feel. That I believe is what this finely directed slow piece was trying to relay in this very artistic very illuminating episode.

And one other note about this episode. Is that I believe they have tried to do similar episodes to this before and failed. I believe they got it right this time. Which is kind of also what this episode is about too. You live your life. It's not whether you ended up with the right person, or made the right choices, but you just live and than you have to live with the consequences.

It starts with Kara in a sort of rat race of ship life. One of the best things about this episode is they have her doing this boring speech and they somehow made it very interesting all due to the directing. I have never seen anything like that on television before.

It continues as Kara faces a kind of Freudian dreamlike reality where she faces her daddy issues through the face of a pianist. This leads back into her Harbinger of Destruction monicker as her last piece she plays on the piano is moving the story along into a crescendo.

Meanwhile there is a second slow build equally important storyline. In this one Boomer who is locked away for various murderous crimes is about to get the death penalty via the Cylons. There is a very interesting thing they did with this. I believe the writer Thomas Harris wrote about something called a hidden room. Where you go to if your stuck in a place for too long of a time. I have never seen this put onto film before. Battle Star Gallactica is truly way ahead of it's time.

I felt the con coming the second she spoke to the Chief in the brig. And yet the episode was so well directed that even if you didn't believe her there was a lot of feeling there and not everything was a lie. Even bad people err...Cylons have human...err Cylon moments that show their humanity..err you know.

Well of course the con reared it's ugly head and a very significant person or two died or did they? I'm actually not sure, but the ship has definitely seen better days. And one last special mention. The adulterous moment in this episode was surreal. I have never seen anything quite like that on televion either. 3 episodes left. God I wish I wrote that wrong and it was really 30. Frack!