Battlestar Galactica

Someone to Watch Over Me

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 27, 2009 on Syfy

• Advances the overall arc but...

3.5
    Disclaimer: I''m a fan. Seasons 1 - 3 and parts of 4 represent the most consistently brilliant SciFi I've ever seen in a continuing series on TV.

With the overall story arcs are finally coming to a close this episode does well enough in moving us along.

However, writers Bradley Thompson & David Weddle have provided us with some very dubious scenes on the way there.

The Chief frequently heads to the brig to re-connect with Boomer. Fine. BUT - in order to talk to her he must pick up the phone??? He's standing 2 feet away from her. They touch hands through the holes in the brig fencing. But he needs a phone to talk to her? Perhaps the "Cone of Silence" was on the fritz? Lazy and manipulative screenwriting at its worst.

Almost as preposterous as having us believe that someone with a rag tied in their mouth would be unable to utter nary a sound while the most disturbing thing a married person could ever witness was occurring right in front of her, 5 to 10 feet away. I guess nobody in the writer's room had a rag to do a sanity check that day...

Entitling the episode "Someone To Watch Over Me" is unfortunate. I suspect if Gershwin was forced to listen to the imbecilic cacophony emanating from the piano in this episode he'd have gone into construction.

The smoking in this show is way overboard. As great as this show has been, encouraging your young audience down a path toward a horrible death due to lung cancer is indefensible. Oh well - at least we looked cool before our lungs stopped working...

If it wasn't for the usual brilliance of Grace Park, Katee Sackhoff, the solid work of Aaron Douglas, and te usual outstanding efforts from Edward James Olmos and Michael Hogan, this ep would have been a disaster.

We get it - you're tired, it's been a long run, the show's ending soon. But come on guys - keep your head in the game!!!