Battlestar Galactica

Someone to Watch Over Me

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 27, 2009 on Syfy

• Probably the best episode of the season, so far, and one of the best of the series. Incredible, inventive, and refreshing. A joy to watch.

As someone very interested in the cinematic aspects of TV-making, I highly enjoyed this episode. The imagery, metaphors, camera angles, lighting, and music were fanfrakkintastic! They told a story we rarely get to see, even on BSG.

I highly suggest everyone go read Bear McCreary's blog on how he made the music in this episode; it's amazing. Just search for his name on Google. What I find most fascinating is that the song in the show isn't even "All Along the Watchtower." It's a variation of it based on the "Final Five Theme." That was a stroke of brilliance.

This episode was in-the-making for a long time; they started making it a year ago (though I don't know exactly when they finished it, but it took almost a year for it to go from idea to finished product). The show's composer was even on set for the shooting, to get the music just right. Seriously, read the blog.

My favorite scenes were the opening sequence, which conveyed a beautiful brand of monotony, the dream sequence, which was chilling and even revelatory, and the reveal that the song Starbuck is trying to play is "All Along the Watchtower" (well, kind of). I also LOVED the reveal that the man was Starbuck's dad. It was so subtle and sweet, and it seemed to provide closure for Starbuck. This was very much so a Starbuck episode, and anyone who says it doesn't do anything for character development is missing the point of it.

I could go on, but I'll stop there. I can't say enough about this episode!