Battlestar Galactica

Someone to Watch Over Me

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 27, 2009 on Syfy

• Given that we are only two episodes away from Battlestar Galactica's swansong, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the production staff might be upping the ante.

Given that we are only two episodes away from Battlestar Galactica's swansong, you'd be forgiven for thinking that the production staff might be upping the ante, spearheading the drive towards the hopefully explosive and revelatory closing hours with something rather more epic than this introspective, character-examining instalment. But then, that's Battlestar for you, confounding expectations and generally succeeding in giving us what we actually need, rather than what we think we do. 'Someone To Watch Over Me' is a beautiful piece of television, no two ways about it. The marriage of well written, believable dialogue for a soul-searching Starbuck with Bear McCreary's glorious soundtrack works wonders, and then the effect is multiplied by taking the latter from the diegtic to the mimetic, finding a suitably moving place for it within the plot. Granted, it really doesn't make all that much sense and you can bet your bottom dollar that any semblance of an explanation as to why the notes from a song that Cara's dad played her when she was young appear to be some galactic co-ordinates will be suitably avoided in the coming weeks, but hell, there's just so much to enjoy here that it hardly seems to matter. Amidst the quiet mood set by this storyline, and the corollary with Tyrol and Boomer, there is a wonderfully executed surprise too as Cavil's ploy to kidnap Hera comes to fruition and, like the Galactica crew, it almost passes under our noses. Typically fine, fine stuff.