Battlestar Galactica

Sometimes a Great Notion

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 16, 2009 on Syfy

• Sometimes a Great Notion

Sometimes a Great Notion was a perfect episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this entertaining episode because it had action, touching and emotional scenes, lots of character and plot development. After discovering a nuked Earth every on deals with it differently and the final four Cylons start to remember a strange yet familiar past. Clues to who the fifth and final Cylon is were given, but the ending through all notions out the window and I liked that it will keep me guessing. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • A triumphant return

The previous episode ended with the Colonials and renegade Cylons standing amidst the ruins of a world called Earth, just moments after the remnants of Humanity celebrated their potential deliverance. The better part of this episode is devoted to the psychological fallout of that crushing blow, and the results are stunning, to say the least.

This is not a happy episode. In fact, this could be one of the most depressing hours of television in years. Not one person is happy, not one person is remotely satisfied, and not one person is left unscathed. What makes this such a powerful and perfect episode is that the audience can understand the characters' reactions. In a sense, we're all reeling from the realization that Earth is not what it was supposed to be, and that there is no obvious direction for the future. Worse, they all know that Father Cavil's faction of the Cylons will be showing up sooner or later, and there will be no magical resolution to that problem.

Dee's suicide is shocking in the moment it happens, but after re-watching the episode, the writers did a very good job of leading up to it. Dee's loss of hope is palpable from the very beginning, and her "date" with Lee seems as much about saying goodbye as it is about pushing Lee in the right direction before checking out. If it doesn't seem to quite make sense, I think that's intentional; Dee is not in her right mind, so it's hard to grasp her rationale in detail. It's simply obvious that the discovery of a formerly Cylon-populated, ruined husk of Earth annihilated her mental stability.

Dee is essentially our window into the psychological torture experienced by the entire Colonial fleet. Her death is the break between the façade of civility and the unbearable truth. Adama completes the picture; those who look at Dee's decision and wonder if that's what they should do as well. Frankly, I'm shocked that there weren't more suicides. If Adama had pushed Tigh into killing him, I imagine it would have all been over.

As it is, there's now a massive power vacuum. Roslin has all but checked out and the primary religion is under serious question. Lee could make a case that he should stand in Roslin's place, but I expect Zarek to make a move sooner or later. After all, he was the one who pushed Lee into the limelight in the first place; he has definite ambitions. I also expect Baltar's new religion to become a lot more prominent in the days to come, as the Colonials cast about for something to believe in.

Amidst the crushing despair, there were amazing revelations. Nearly everyone is taking Earth for granted, but it may not be what it seems. Baltar and the others conclude that the thirteenth tribe consisted of Cylons, both Centurions and "skinjobs", and that they arrived on this particular world and called it "Earth". Does that mean that it is, in fact, Earth?

It's quite possible, given the cyclic nature of the story, that thousands of years ago, they were also searching for Earth, hunted down by their own Cylons. Who's to say they didn't end up finding a burned-out Earth themselves? They could have simply found a new world, called that Earth in memory of the "original". And then, like now, they could have gone about the business of merging Humans and Cylons into a race of beings like Hera and Nicholas.

After all, the bones were Cylon, but why does that necessarily mean that they were Cylons as we know them? They, too, appear to have lost the ability to resurrect, or the survival of the Final Five wouldn't have been so extraordinary. And because Tigh and the others were known since they were younger, and they aged like normal human beings, it stands to reason that their own resurrection was not in the usual Cylon style.

This harkens back to one of my original theories, one I've mentioned several times: that the Final Five are Human/Cylon hybrids from the previous cycle who managed to persist until the next cycle. How that happened is still to be determined, but it must have involved some kind of regenerative program. Perhaps it was something that the Five sent into space before the end came. One might suspect that the nuclear destruction of Earth came from the previous cycle's analogue to Father Cavil and his Cylon faction.

Something tells me that the restoration of the Final Five is directly connected to Kara's restoration. Kara was dead, her Viper destroyed. That being the case, how was she reborn? Everyone assumes that Earth is completely dead, but someone (or something) had to resurrect Kara and her Viper. Perhaps something that didn't see or know the difference between man and machine? Something that was programmed or designed to recreate members of a Human/Cylon hybrid species?

If so, the whole question of the fifth Cylon's identity becomes moot. That individual is no longer a factor; how they came to be in this time is a lot more important. Kara's very existence is more important than Ellen Tigh's true nature. Piecing together the puzzle of what the Final Five really are, how they survived, and how and when they came to intersect with the current Cylon population is the major mystery to be resolved.

Not that the question of the final Cylon wasn't front and center. This is another aspect of Dee's suicide; they were clearly using Dee as a red herring for the revelation of the fifth. The same applies to Kara (though, admittedly, I believe she's connected to the Final Five in some way). Just the fact that the writers were able to keep the central mysteries front and center, while dealing with the despair of the fleet was such depth, is a testimony to the excellence of the episode.

From the script to the performances to the direction to the score, everything came together to make this one of the best episodes of the series in a very long time. This is easily the best episode of the season, even topping the powerful "Revelations". What makes this truly astounding is the realization that there are nine more episodes to go until the end.
  • The shocking part had nothing to do with Starbuck or the Cylons.

Ok, so we were all naive enough to think that Starbuck finding her own body or finding that the cylons were the 13th tribe were the really big parts. But no: Dee, after having a great day with her friends and family, shoots herself because she feels no hope for herself or humanity. This episode just may have been the worst-and best-part of my night. I mean, it was so surprising to see her just pull out that gun from out of nowhere and put it to her head. I've rarely seen a show be so gusty as to show a character kill themselves off just like that. The suicide is so realistic; she had probably had this planned out for the entire day. Some people may think this was way too graphic even for BSG; those people must realize that for this show to work, it must be real. Why shouldn't someone who's lived with such loss and despair want to kill themselves to spare themselves even more of it?
  • It makes Razor look like Highschool Musical in comparison!

Not that I've ever seen Highschool Musical, but you get the point!

BSG is show that always manages to floor me. It'll have its odd hiccup, but I've rarely watched a show that has managed to remain this consistent, this surprising, this bittersweet, for four years running.

"Sometimes a Great Notion" is a hellish experience - there's hardly a moment to catch your breath. It's must-see TV, no matter what you think of science-fiction, this kind of storytelling should be seen by everyone!

Throwing up more questions than answers, even though some of the answers are shattering in themselves, there are moments that make you realise that perhaps you need to brush up on your BSG history. So the 13th colony were ALL cylons? That's a kick in the teeth, and from that moment on I was expecting the worst of everything. What the frak is Starbuck? While I predicted she'd find her own rotten corpse, I was not expecting Leoban's reaction. What exactly does the harbinger of death mean exactly? Is she a rogue cylon, of sorts?

This episode, just like Cally's swansong, signalled Dee's death the minute the previously on BSG was said. I knew right away she was a goner as the episode paid a lot of attention to her within such a jam-packed and pivotal hour. However, I did not see how it would happen. Her death really hit hard, I was expecting an accident or something of the like to occur. But for her to take her own life? And her last words were, as with most of the episode, bittersweet. She wanted to hold onto this feeling she hadn't felt in years...forever. Gut-wrenching stuff.

Other highlights include Roslin losing all faith and hope; Adama giving up and hoping Saul will allow him the easy way out and take the shot; that beautifully silhouetted scene of Kara cremating herself; and, of course, the flashbacks from the final four. This was just cracking stuff!

I had no clue Ellen was the fifth cylon, and as cliff-hangers go, I've never felt so indifferent. "Really, her?" "HOLY frak, her!". I simply have no idea where this series is heading, but if it can keep up the quality and standards of this very episode, we're in for one heck of ride!

The entire cast did an amazing job here, the direction was solid, and the score really elevated this grim tale to something extraordinary. Bring on the rest of the final episodes!
  • BSG the show that turns your best hope into your worst nightmare.

Wow is the only thing I can say about the episode. That and Frak me. I was fooled, Ron Moore. You fooled me. I thought that Dee was in fact the final Cylon right up until the moment she grabbed the gun and pulled the trigger, and then, well ok so its not her then, right?

The rest was just as good. Watching Ma and Pa (Roslin and Adama Sr) fall apart was amazing. They've been the rocks of the show since day one and now they have lost everything including their faiths in themselves and their part in the universe. It was sad and beautiful to watch at the same time.

Saul Tigh keeps impressing me. He's finally come into his own. It's ironic really he's finally managed to become the man he's always wanted to be. And the revelation that Ellen is the final Cylon was a surprise and yet....are we looking at an epic romance here? To souls who always seem to find each other? It makes their love, romance, ultimate ending all the more tragic because not only did Saul Tigh kill his wife for collaborating with the cylons, not only did Cylon Saul Tigh kill his wife for collaborating with the cylons, but now Cylon Saul Tigh killed his cylon wife for collaborating with the Cylons.

I have no idea what to call that little piece of Intel.

The stuff on the planet was good too, with Tyrol and Anders remembering stuff. I'm a little disappointed that Tory didn't remember something, but hey we still have 9 more episodes. I would love to see her in flashback.

Plus there was Starbuck and Leabonon. Oh boy. The background stuff was good too. Loved the "Frak Earth" graffiti and how moral had completely broken down on the ship to the point where people where fighting in the halls.

Great episode. Just when you think it can't get any darker. You remember what show your watching and the sit back and enjoy this dark dark ride.
  • With season 3, Battlestar Galactica reinvented itself. With season 4, it did so again. With Sometimes a Great Notion, for the second time.

Like William Adama has come to understand, the only place to look to is the future. That is the mantra of season 4.5, and the first episode starts this off by systematically deconstructing its characters, plot arcs, even episode structure. The show is in a hundred places at once, the only connection, but so powerful -- the grief shared by all.

Roslin, Adama, Lee, Kara, Leoben -- what these characters have always shared is a profound belief in their destiny. With Sometimes a Great Notion these beliefs are not merely called into question -- they are all destroyed, one right after the other. It's a tremendous episode with power-house performances from the entire cast (especially Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell) that addresses so many arc questions as to seem almost surreal. Every scene promises a new development, character or otherwise.

Yet despite the reveals, there are plenty of mysteries to keep us going. Is Ellen truly the Fifth Cylon, and if so, what does that mean for Kara? How did the original Final Five travel all across the universe to disperse amongst the Colonials, and for what purpose? It's clear that the show is on a mission, but where is it taking us?

And, perhaps more importantly, in what shape will our beloved characters be as we all ride the current together?
  • I was afraid to watch this one... scared it would not live up to my expectations... but it was far better than I could ever hoped... and it was far darker that I could ever expect!

Here we go again... I don't wan't to spoil anything in this text... so I try to be carefull with this. This was the darkest shade of dark I have EVER seen in a tv-show, it was mind blowing with lots of dark revelations... some I could expect (Starbuck revelation) some I would have never thought of (final five backgrounds, Dee and Apollo, the 13th tribe). It is hard to get ones head around this... so many moments where I was close to tears seeing this desaster consume the very good in this strong characters who were now stripped of their armor... their hope... and who became so fragile. It's going all down the toilet... in a very cruel way...
    There were very few happy moments...but these moments only served to bring even more darkness...
    I can't believe the guts of the writers... amazing.

Only querrel I have with this one is the happy family moments, which seemed so out of place (the Helo Family).

See this! It's a masterpiece of televison entertainment! So say Me :)
  • Good but not a happy episode.

Despite the long and otherwise agonizing wait all this time the mid-season premier was a fine example of what makes Galactica great. Its has twists and turns. There are many reasons why to watch this episode. One of them is the fact that it reveals the answer to many questions we held so close and it doesn't fail to raise a few. In and of itself this episode is a happy one, but not all of the good ones are. You want to believe that everything will be okay in the end of the series but after what has happened in this episode, you feel that it won't. And on a level regarding Edward James Olmos's character, what happens is disappointing. This episode is not for those who want a "happy, everything is fine" episode, because it's not. This episode is dark, very dark and at the last few minutes it leads to a happy and sad ending.
  • Battlestar Galactica goes down a deep, dark path in Season 4.5 but is all hope really lost? Or are the writers going where no show has ever gone before? A dark story and a powerful one. (Spoilers follow)

I thought this was a great episode and a spectacular start to the last set of episodes. I think the final Cylon is actually Ellen and that she isn't just an older version of Number Six. Why would Number Six age but none of the other Final Five?

I wasn't expecting the 13th Tribe to be Cylons at all. As for how they could tell, we've already seen Baltar come up with some sort of biological test in previous episodes that let him differentiate between human and Cylon tissue. The exact differences haven't been explained. At this point, the definition is getting a little fuzzy but we'll probably have more details in the upcoming episodes.

They did signal Dee's suicide by featuring her in the "Previously on" segment. Just like Cally, the character disappeared for many of the previous episodes. Then when she dies, she plays a major role in that episode. But I still wasn't expecting her to shoot herself when she did. I thought maybe she had turned the corner when she went on the date with Lee.

The episode was threatening to turn into one of the most despairing and bleak episodes in TV history but there was a small glimmer of hope at the end when Adama pulled himself together and started the Colonial fleet on a new quest. If not for that new mission, this truly would have been going where no one (or no TV show) had gone before.
  • And so finally, the Sci-Fi Channel quits playing ceaseless, self-obsessed ratings games with their most ardent viewers and delivers the second half of Battlestar Galactica's final season.

And so finally, the Sci-Fi Channel quits playing ceaseless, self-obsessed ratings games with their most ardent viewers and delivers the second half of Battlestar Galactica's final season, a year since it was actually made. The wait has been absolutely perilous: between the end of the third season and the start of part one of the fourth, there was an agonising ten month gap and then, ten episodes in, the bastards cut our viewing enjoyment short for another ten months. The wait has been so great that, arguably, the weight of expectation on these final instalments is too much to bear. Can the production staff deliver the goods? Will they answer all the outstanding questions they've left dangling for the past four years? Will we get a regrettable happy ever after or a more satisfying, and realistic, emotional and physical bloodbath? From the trajectory that the narrative begins to take in 'Sometimes A Great Notion', it looks like the latter is far likelier. No question about it folks, this is damn tough viewing. If you like your characters to be one dimensional black and white ciphers, turn away now. If you want to see everyone picking up the pieces, holding hands and 'getting on', I really don't think the remainder of this season is going to be for you. You see, things have gone completely and utterly **** up. The Universe is fracked. There's no hope. We're all going to Hell in a hand basket and the best we can do to blot out the pain is give in to the illnesses already ravaging us (Roslin), drink ourselves into oblivion (Adama) or shoot ourselves in the head and have done with it (Dee). Jesus Christ, this is depressing stuff. The rock that the Galactica crew's hopes have been pinned on since she first uttered the word 'Earth' in the pilot is now burning the prophecies that formed the backbone of her beliefs and ain't taking anyone's calls. When your President's given up the ghost, you know you're in trouble. Kudos to Mary McDonnell for giving a superb performance throughout: she's particularly excellent when she confronts the Galactica crew (and the fleet) immediately upon her return from the nuked Earth. All it takes is a stuttered sigh and a whispered 'get me out of here' and the emotional effect is magnified twentyfold. Then there's the other major authority figure, the Old Man, who goes completely off the rails after one of his crew tops herself and has an alcohol-fuelled 'heart to heart' with Sol, which ends with him getting the XO to point a gun to his head, goading him on to pulling the trigger. Not easy stuff to watch but it's effortlessly brilliant all the same. You feel every nuance of these characters' pain and that's no small feat. The successful combination of superb dialogue and out-of-this-world performance really cannot be understated: someone give Bradley Thompson, David Weddle, Edward James Almos and Michael Hogan all the awards the world can muster. Now. And spare a thought for Kandyse McClure who manages to pull the wool over the eyes of every single one of us in depicting Dee's final moments. Granted, this is as much to do with the scripting as anything else but she's magnificent anyway. The fateful moment where she pulls the trigger is among the best, and most shocking, in the show's history. I'm still not sure I've quite recovered.

Some have accused 'Sometimes A Great Notion' of being slow to start; I couldn't disagree more. The narrative movement certainly isn't fast paced but that's hardly the point. This episode is about the repercussions of having all of your hopes and beliefs completely and utterly obliterated in an instant. Time is therefore needed to take stock of the situation (the opening ten minutes), work through the pain (the next thirty) and come to some form of conclusion (last five). The considered narratalogical structure, to this writer, is exactly what is needed. And in any case, amongst all of the emotional trauma, we discover that the 13th tribe were all Cylons (didn't see that one coming), that the final five lived on Earth in its last days, that Starbuck's Viper is on Earth with Starbuck's body in it (how is THAT one possible?) and, possibly, the identity of the final Cylon. If it is Tigh's ex-wife, I'm happy. It could be a red herring, of course, but time will tell. So yeah, a pretty darn packed hour, all things considered. And when you combine these revelations with the unquestionable strength of the character-led material, you have an absolute corker of an episode. As if any further evidence were needed that Battlestar Galactica is the best science fiction show on TV, here it is in one bitter, twisted, difficult package. Watch and weep.
  • This was a truly beautiful episode. This is why I watch BSG

This was a truly beautiful episode. It was sentimental without being pathetic. It`s weird how a sci fi show can reflect the human spirit so accurate, how only in extraordinary instances we return to our humanity. It was truly a beautiful episode. It was dark, but not hopeless, it was sad, but not excrutiating. The story just flowed. There was nothing forced about it. And remember this is a show about people and robots in big spaceships that fly around galaxies, but yet it is so spiritual. It`s nice to see that people who can plot out and make true a great fight or battle scene can also create an episode like this without overdoing it. In this episode every single character came alive.
  • Galactica is back and wonderfully depressing as ever. Best show on television.

After such a long wait, Galactica is finally back for its swan song and it really is pulling no punches. This show is so dark it is actually perfect for a small network like sci-fi (also reminds me of Mad Men on AMC) Although they may not get the exposure or ratings as a big network, a show like this could never be done on a network. Its too bleak and shocking.

The episode is among the best of the series, but that praise is becoming almost reduntant as there are so many great episodes. I do not know if this is the best show "ever", but it is clearly the best sci-fi show ever (sorry trek fans)

Dee killing herself was shocking in the execution, she was happy when she did it, which was the most shocking thing of all. There was no downward spiral or story arc to prepare you for it. She just had no hope anymore and wanted to hold on to the happiness she felt forever.

If you read the internet, Ellen being the final cylon was not a great surprise, but the flashbacks of the final five back on the planet were really well done and had a "Lost" feel to them. I am looking forward to finding out what they really are.

That is also true of Kara as she found her body and her ship, which was the source of the transmission the followed. Leoben truly looked dumbfounded by what he saw. It has been implied he knew what Kara was, but even he now has no clue. It may be that she is now like the final five in that she is immortal. It certainly seems the final five just get reborn after they "die" and they do not need a body to download into like the other cylon models.

The theme of the whole episode was hope being smashed, as Dee, Adama, Rosalyn, Leoben, the crew and the other cylons clearly have nowhere to go and no hope of a future.
  • Intense, as would be expected for the possible finale. I'm very glad that the writer's strike ended soon enough for them to finish off the show.

Depressing. And bleak. I am very glad that this episode was not the finale. I mean, sure there is a little bit of hope in Adama's speech, but its just so bleak. And we never would have found out what happened to Kara. Or really what the cylons mean. Who are the original humans. I mean cylons are almost indistinguishable from humans. Who can say that they are more human than the Colonials. It's an interesting question.

Dee shooting herself, now that was unexpected. She had seemed so happy. And when Adama walked though the halls, and there was broken furniture, and fights going on everywhere. And Roslin just loosing her mind, burning the manuscripts that she had followed for so long. Kara's dead body. That was a bit shocking. And the look on Leoban's face. I am starting to feel like she might be the embodiment of the cylon god or something. As to Ellen being the final. Well that works. I think that whoever it ended up being would have ended up being anticlimactic, so I'm glad they didn't draw it out too long. It's interesting that Tory and Anders, and Tigh and Ellen were both originally couples.
  • FINALLY¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ THE TWO MOST WAITED THINGS OF TV HAPPEN. Battlestar is back in tv and we know who the final cylon is

After waiting months......finally its here, Battlestar galactica, the best mother fracking tv show. Every time i watch this show i understand why tv exist. I mean even so its not the best episode (is hard to say only one) the suicide of D and the revelation of the fianl cylon in one same episode its impressive. The kill one of the more lovable (not great one even so..) characters and bring one of the character we all love and hate at the same time.
    I dont now whow to say thank god for these show, i was tired with the disapointment of heroes and lost. The one and only great show on Tv is this one.
  • After a long hiatus, the best show on TV returns. Was it worth the wait? Find out after the jump.

Was it worth the wait? In a word yes. Last night's episode reminds the viewer that Battlestar Galactica is without a doubt, one of the best shows on TV ever, period. Battlestar Galactica, how I missed you!

Much like the reveal of the final four of five Cylons, last night's episode takes everything you thought you knew, and flushes it down the toilet. I'm not talking some lame barely clears the bowl flush. I'm talking the Space Shuttle vacuum flush.

I don't like to reveal spoilers, so I won't. No invisible text, or warning headers. I just won't talk about specific plot points. We are shown the immediate few days following the discovery or a devastated Earth.

Sometimes a Great Notion is meant to be experienced. The shock, awe and heartbreak the episode dishes out to the already beaten down fleet, really is something to behold. You really feel for these characters. There are some truly noteworthy scenes that will go down among the best in the BSG repertoire of great scenes. Adama and Roslin have a fantastic heartbreaking scene, as do Adama and Tigh as well as the opening ninety seconds where there are no words, just complete and utter shock.

Without giving away what specifically is revealed, here are some questions that are answered.

- How long ago Earth was devastated
    - How the Earth was devastated
    - The source of the mysterious colonial signal that led the fleet to earth.
    - The identity of the final Cylon

Now, that may seem like a lot of answers for 42 minutes, but the number of new questions raised, and the impact of their forthcoming answers is mind boggling. I had already wondered how Ron Moore and co were going to wrap up all the loose ends before last night's episode. Now I have no clue. The final nine episodes will undoubtedly be painful for the Colonial Fleet and Cylons alike. I can't wait to find out how it all ends.

The best is indeed yet to come! And that's saying a lot.

More at www.theplurp.com
  • The fleet is left helpless and hopeless at the discovery that the Earth they sought is a lifeless rock.

This terrible, emotional path is exactly what the series needs as an endgame. Characters who have changed (Tigh, Lee Adama, and others) are finding their reversions and revisitations to earlier times (sorry for the vague natures, trying to avoid spoilers).

The sadness, helplessness and hopelessness that the entire fleet faces upon their arrival at "dead" Earth is addressed, and although it takes a back seat to the major plots of this episode, it gets its due representation.

I was skeptical about the new season, but I have in no way been disappointed. While the "Final Cylon" answer has been given, the allusions to future episodes promise to keep the intrigue alive.
  • A really dark and depressing episode..

After long waiting, finally a new episode and to be honest, it was one of the most depressing episodes of the whole serie.. I really have never felt so much lost hope and such an revelation - the Earth is wasteland and the only thing that they have been reaching out is lost..

And I think they gave it too away that Dee is going to die one or another way but to be honest, I was not prepared for it in that moment... That was just shocking and cruel.. showing the hopeless feeling they all have.

And Roslin.. her burning that book and giving up her treatment.. feeling like she betrayed everyone.. Very powerful scene and again, so depressing..

I think the main problem with this episode was that it was so hard to watch, and it left such a heavy depressed feeling after the ending...

And Starbuck fining her body.. that was weird but I am still convinced she is not cylon.. nor is Ellen..
  • There has to be something beyond a nucleur frak holocaust, which is what they are now needing to look for!

They faced the Earth barren and wasted, broken under the foot of a melt down. Do we really know what happened to the 13th tribe? Were they really the Cylons? I am not sure we have been given the answers, just as I am not totally certain that Helen is or was the fifth. What I do know is that Adama and Saul stood together and said lets move on because that is all they can do. Dee took the easy way out, she had one moment of joy and decided that there would be no others so why bother! What ever is to come, what ever sad moments await... hope can not give way to that kind of despair because they can't afford it. So Cylon, Human they move on together and perhaps that was what was supposed to happen all along!
  • All hope is lost when the fleet discovers Earth is nothing more than a charred nuclear wasteland. Frustration turns to nihilistic despair, and the harried survivors find their faith put to the test in this beautiful yet bleak storyline.

The makers of Battlestar Galactica have always been experts at mind-blowing plot twists which alter the very fragile and limited moments of normal order in the fleet, but the revelation of the charred & nuked remains of scorched Earth may turn out to be the greatest test of faith the human survivors have ever faced. If anything has been a constant within the show, it has been the undying faith and hope in the existence of Earth, the home of the mythical Thirteenth Tribe of Kobol, as the one shining light piercing through the dark & hostile atmosphere of endless trials & tribulations. Now, the remaining 39,000 survivors of a once prosperous society have found their travails were all for naught, and a thick fog of despair hangs in the air over the disturbing revelations. Even more frustrating is the perplexing mystery of Earth itself. The discovery of some unusual Cylon remains on the planet raise more questions than answers over who, or what, the 13th Tribe really was.

It proves to be too much. Upon their return to Galactica, Roslin and Adama face a hanger deck full of hopeful crewmates, anxious to hear the news of their mythical refuge. Normally, the steely-eyed Roslin never shies from a moment to step up to a challenge, but here she can only shake her head subtly, frozen with the prospect of destroying the last bastion of hope for the weary travelers. "Get me out of here," she mutters to Adama, and the place is in uproar with anxious questions, only to find their beloved leaders retreat into a dark depression.

The visuals of lost hope are powerful and stunning, anchored by the consistently solid score of Bear McCreary. Ponderous & discordant variations on the once soaring themes of the show echo the fear of the unknown displayed through the tense interactions of the characters. All of the answers they seek reveal more frustrating questions. The mood is emotionally provocative and wears very heavily. The crisis of faith, the loss of social order, the gray bleakness of Earth's nuked skies all paint a vivid and beautiful portrait of the collapse of the human spirit, but it takes its toll through watching it unfold. Perhaps this is more to the show's credit that it evokes so powerfully the very emotions it portrays onscreen, but for viewers it amounts to being stabbed in the heart a thousand times, or as Ronald D. Moore puts it, an emotional sucker punch.

Some of the storyline feels clumsy and forced. Bill Adama's confrontation of his friend and ex-o, newly discovered Cylon Saul Tigh, falls for all of the usual clichés associated with depression in Battlestar Galactica. The Admiral snags a sidearm from a guard and drops in uninvited with a bottle of booze. Pouring enough to kill a small horse, Adama tosses the weapon on the table and barks, "Sit down, Cylon!" at the somewhat bewildered Tigh. The scene stands well enough on the outstanding acting talents of Edward James Olmos (Adama) and Michael Hogan, but the dialogue sounds crude and forced, a bit clumsy considering the show's typically high standards. Those standards certainly were not applied to revealing the identity of the final Cylon, tacked on to the last five minutes like an extra edition of the news. It comes in so unexpectedly, it feels as though the writers did it by accident. Nothing frustrates more with this show than the flubbing of key plot points, especially considering the hype many of these revelations get through the constant repetition throughout the show. In going for the surprise, the scene skipped creating the appropriate tension to buildup to the revelation, which is why it comes off as flat and uninspired.

Despite its flaws, Sometimes a Great Notion gracefully probes the ends of the human spirit, seeking an answer to the greatest tests of faith. Highs: Provocative & powerful imagery reflected through McCreary's musical variations; post-apocalypse is where Battlestar lives; emotionally gripping

Lows: Emotionally exhausting; frustrating revelations only raise more questions; clumsy & forced in places; one-dimensional character presentation.

The Verdict: Powerful, relentlessly dark probe of the human spirit
  • Characters deal with the reality of Earth. Starbuck begins to question what she is. We find out something about the final cylon.

This episode was okay, I guess. First and foremost, I was really disappointed in learning about the final cylon. I mean, how many episodes had we spent prior to this wondering if it was Starbuck or one of the major characters. Instead, it turns out we've already killed her. I thought that was just a low blow by the writers, and very anticlimactic. I did like the Starbuck plot twist, but then again, I love anything that Kara Thrace is. Right now, I think this show is going through a lull, and I hope it picks up before the season ends.
  • What has happened to this once excellent show?

I'm not sure what happened in this episode. It seems like lots of things took place, a couple of them rather shocking but all in all, a nothing episode.

The writers have only one ace left up their sleeves: who is the fifth cylon? But this cannot form the basis of an entire show. The characters are now walking zombies, with no purpose, and although they seem to walk as quickly as they ever did, they're never going anywhere, nor do they do anything when they get there.

It's horrible to watch a show I used to love but which is now less than ordinary. They should have found a way to wind up the series ages ago. Endless wandering is dull narrative, no matter how many spaceships you are blowing up.

Not sure if I can even bother myself to watch until the end.