Battlestar Galactica

Sometimes a Great Notion

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 16, 2009 on Syfy

• With season 3, Battlestar Galactica reinvented itself. With season 4, it did so again. With Sometimes a Great Notion, for the second time.

Like William Adama has come to understand, the only place to look to is the future. That is the mantra of season 4.5, and the first episode starts this off by systematically deconstructing its characters, plot arcs, even episode structure. The show is in a hundred places at once, the only connection, but so powerful -- the grief shared by all.

Roslin, Adama, Lee, Kara, Leoben -- what these characters have always shared is a profound belief in their destiny. With Sometimes a Great Notion these beliefs are not merely called into question -- they are all destroyed, one right after the other. It's a tremendous episode with power-house performances from the entire cast (especially Edward James Olmos and Mary McDonnell) that addresses so many arc questions as to seem almost surreal. Every scene promises a new development, character or otherwise.

Yet despite the reveals, there are plenty of mysteries to keep us going. Is Ellen truly the Fifth Cylon, and if so, what does that mean for Kara? How did the original Final Five travel all across the universe to disperse amongst the Colonials, and for what purpose? It's clear that the show is on a mission, but where is it taking us?

And, perhaps more importantly, in what shape will our beloved characters be as we all ride the current together?