Battlestar Galactica

Sometimes a Great Notion

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 16, 2009 on Syfy

• After a long hiatus, the best show on TV returns. Was it worth the wait? Find out after the jump.

Was it worth the wait? In a word yes. Last night's episode reminds the viewer that Battlestar Galactica is without a doubt, one of the best shows on TV ever, period. Battlestar Galactica, how I missed you!

Much like the reveal of the final four of five Cylons, last night's episode takes everything you thought you knew, and flushes it down the toilet. I'm not talking some lame barely clears the bowl flush. I'm talking the Space Shuttle vacuum flush.

I don't like to reveal spoilers, so I won't. No invisible text, or warning headers. I just won't talk about specific plot points. We are shown the immediate few days following the discovery or a devastated Earth.

Sometimes a Great Notion is meant to be experienced. The shock, awe and heartbreak the episode dishes out to the already beaten down fleet, really is something to behold. You really feel for these characters. There are some truly noteworthy scenes that will go down among the best in the BSG repertoire of great scenes. Adama and Roslin have a fantastic heartbreaking scene, as do Adama and Tigh as well as the opening ninety seconds where there are no words, just complete and utter shock.

Without giving away what specifically is revealed, here are some questions that are answered.

- How long ago Earth was devastated
    - How the Earth was devastated
    - The source of the mysterious colonial signal that led the fleet to earth.
    - The identity of the final Cylon

Now, that may seem like a lot of answers for 42 minutes, but the number of new questions raised, and the impact of their forthcoming answers is mind boggling. I had already wondered how Ron Moore and co were going to wrap up all the loose ends before last night's episode. Now I have no clue. The final nine episodes will undoubtedly be painful for the Colonial Fleet and Cylons alike. I can't wait to find out how it all ends.

The best is indeed yet to come! And that's saying a lot.

More at www.theplurp.com