Battlestar Galactica

Taking a Break from All Your Worries

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 28, 2007 on Syfy

• Dee: "It’s not a marriage, Lee. This is a lie."

Kara loves Lee. Lee loves Kara. So why aren’t they falling into each other’s arms? Why do they continue to struggle holding together marriages they don't truly want? I know writers love to pull out sexual tension between characters for as long as possible, but Kara and Lee’s relationship is becoming more frustrating than romantic for me. I lamented for Dee this episode, because no matter what Lee says, he will never be satisfied with their marriage until he consummates his love for Kara. And the long gazes between Kara and Lee are just driving me nuts. Stop hurting Sam and Dee already, and get it over with you guys.

There were many powerful scenes this episode. Gaius admitting he wants to be a Cylon; Six manipulating Gaius into suicide; Gaeta stabbing Gaius in the throat. (Obviously Gaius' storyline was the strong point of the episode.) The scene that wowed me the most, though, was Roslin loosing her cool during her interrogation with Gaius. Roslin screaming completely caught me off guard, and I was seriously ready to believe Roslin would toss Gauis out the airlock. Thrusting the pictures of the dead families from New Caprica in Gaius' face was extremely effective. The scene definitely kept my eyes glued to the screen, and both McDonnell and Callis delivered excellent performances.

The psychological torture stuff was interesting. We learned that Gaius isn't a one of the final five (at least according to his imaginary Six, who it was fun having back again), but Gaius still believes he is "chosen" by God for something special. The hallucinations themselves were particularly attention-grabbing. Especially the one where Gaius woke up in a resurrection ship (good red herring, writers) and then the sixes began tearing at his skin. Shuddery.

Final Notes and Quotes

- Survivor Count: 41,403

- Roslin decided Gaius should have his trial. The woman ceases to surprise me.

- Did I sense romance vibes between Adama and Roslin there in that ending scene?

- This was the second time Edward James Olmos directed an episode. The first was season one's "Tigh Me Up, Tight Me Down."

- The crew built a new bar on Galactica. I guess with Cloud Nine gone, there was a lack of refuges for unhappy spouses to drink away their marital problems.

- Chief and Cally have been fighting. I hope that's only a temporary thing.

- I liked the little "bonus scene" Sci Fi added on at the end of the episode (there's more to it if you viewed the complete scene on the web). I was wondering what had happened to the Six Galactica had captured.

- Roslin: "We tried the stick. It's time to try the carrot. The thing he's most deeply afraid of is that even if he talks, we'll kill him."
    Tigh: "Smart man."

- Kara: "Kara Thrace and her special destiny? That sounds more like a bad cover band."

Final Rating: Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I was definitely eager to see it a second time. Let's go with a good 3 out of 4 stars. - Tim Bronx
    www.motionpicturereviews.com