Battlestar Galactica

The Captain's Hand

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 17, 2006 on Syfy

• Good, But......

But how in the hell is "eve" part of the word "receive" unless you're spelling it wrong? Pretty sloppy. They could have done a LOT better with that.
  • LEE AND DEE WHAT WHAT WHAT??????

Excellent episode. I absolutely loved the Cylon battle and the way Garner had to save the ship.

The abortion storyline was perfection, a brilliant political issue to put Baltar in the presidential race.

But, let me just say, Dualla and Apollo DO NOT WORK. It's blindingly obvious how entwined Starbuck and Apollo's souls are... they are absolutely meant to be together. Just look at their final scene. That scene was beautiful. Beautiful. If this wooden relationship with Dualla continues and Starbuck and Apollo do not end up together... I will die!!! but the writers still have two full series to sort it out, don't give up hope!

STARPOLLO FOREVER!!!!!!!
  • The Captain's Hand

The Captain's Hand was another perfectly entertaining episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching because there was a lot of action, drama and character development. It was interesting to see Garner in command and how much he disliked Apollo and Starbuck, though in the end he came through for the Pegasus. The space battle scenes were awesome with the Cylon Base ships and Pegasus. It was touching when Admiral Adama promoted Apollow to Commander. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Great episode.

Starbuck and Apollo are now assigned at the Pegasus under the command of an inexperienced commander. Things are routine aboard the Pegasus until two raptors go missing. The inexperienced commander orders Pegasus to rescue the missing raptors only to find themselves in a middle of a cylon trap. Apollo rises on the occassion and saves the day aboard the Pegasus. This is perhaps a pivotal episode for Battlestar, the action scenes were awesome, the effects were mind blowing. The writers made this episode very watchable and exciting. I really had a good time watching it. This is one awesome episode.
  • Asylum.

Well, I quite enjoyed that, another mostly standalone episode but still very entertaining and there were a couple major advancements to the running plot.

I kept flip-flopping on what I thought of Roslin's decision to outlaw abortion, at first I was pissed, then I felt for her, then I was pissed again. Went back and forth like that for awhile. Either way I knew after the first time watching that I enjoyed the plot, as it provided a nice dramatic counterpoint to the action and suspense of the Pegasus storyline. I would have loved for this to have been the final straw so I could right her character off completely and under any other circumstances besides extinction of the human race, I would've been(and stayed) furious at her. But if I can truly believe Baltar's numbers, than I can't help but agree it's a necessary evil. Then there's the fact that Adama was the one to really put the idea out there, plus Roslin was clearly struggling with the decision. So in the end I think I might just have gained some respect for her because she had to make such a difficult decision and one I would have had to agree with. I was definitely behind her(if only for the rest of the scene) after her line to the Geminiese delegate, in fact I think it was the first time I really felt like applauding Roslin. The vehemence of her words(and eyes) was intense.

Roslin: "You have your pound of flesh and I suggest you take your victory and you move on."

Baltar seizing the opportunity to break stride with Roslin and announce his candidacy was a nice reminder that he's definitely back to his old, snake-in-the-grass self(not that the nuke didn't help to bring that point home). It almost makes me feel bad how behind him I would've been just a short while ago, and that it wouldn't have just been from a dislike of Roslin. He's so charismatic and I like his character so much that it's easy to forget that self preservation(or even worse, his own happiness) is always his number one priority(See 33), and I can only imagine how that would impact his decisions if he became president.

I liked the plot involving the Cylon's phony distress call, some of the scenes almost had a sci-fi horror feel to them. Especially the scene with the two intact Raptor's occupants all dead. The mystery of what actually happened to them combined with the reveal of the Cylon trap had me on the edge of my seat. The suspense built up nicely throughout and led to another intense firefight. I liked getting to see the Pegasus in action again. Aesthetically speaking I actually prefer it to the Galactica(call me crazy), I think it's much more aggressive looking on the exterior(which makes sense considering the storyline had it as the "evil" Battlestar), whereas Galactica seems more defensive.

I thought Garner's "Damn the torpedoes!" attitude made for some interesting scenes between him and Apollo. Though his voice sounded like it had been recorded to cassette and played back at increased speed. Apollo's scenes in the CIC played well with the firefight happening outside and Garner sacrificing his life down below(though that was a little hokey), combined they made for some entertaining moments. I like Apollo taking command of the Pegasus, if only because it finally means there is someone running it that Adama can trust(I hope).

A good mix of drama, action, and suspense.
  • Finally, the cylons are back.

Finally, battle sequences with the cylons. I would have given this episode a 10 but the first couple of minutes made me sick. I just wanted to turn the channel when I saw Lee and Dualla together. They do not work. Baltar and Six are back even though for a short while. Their performances as always were excellent. With the exception of Cain, how did any of its recent commanders even get the chance to command. They were complete idiots with the last one almost causing the death of everyone on the Pegasus. For a moment when command was relinqueshed to Lee so Garner could get the FTL drive on line, he looked like he was in shock and didnt know what to do. BUt after assessing the situation, Lee really shined.

Thank God Lee was given permanant command of the Pegasus. Hopefully, that will keep him and Dualla apart. Also, the final scene with Lee and Starbuck was very touching and I think needed to mend their relationship after averything that has happend recently.
  • This made up for the last few lacklustre eps. Apollo and Starbuck have mended their fences with each other. The Pegasus is still a paranoid thorn in Galactica's side. But things are looking up.

This ep was action packed.

Pegasus lost a couple of Raptors. Which the new Captain of the Pegasus promptly blamed Starbuck for - and we got a little more insight that I wanted on what is arguably the most chemistry free couple ever to appear on TV.

I'm not at all convinced about this new relationship between Apollo and Dualla (they are a truly boring couple) so when we got a look at them in a rack together it was certainly the calm before the storm.
    We did however learn that Apollo had been promoted to Major.

Then it started to pick up.

The Beasts new Captain ran a close tie with Col Tigh (no pun intended) as the most inept person to ever take command - of anything!

Starbuck and Apollo finally seemed to make their peace after a fairly rocky season, and while he was on a role Apollo took the prize for the fastest rise up the promotional ladder in the history of the colonial fleet.

Captain through Major to Commander of his own ship in a few days. Not too shabby at all.

Despite my flippancy, there were some terrifically dramatic moments throughout, not the least of which was the matter of the Geminon stowaway who came to Galactica for an abortion, Roslin's criminalisation of abortion, and Baltar throwing his hat in the ring in the upcoming Presidential elections. Oh, and the Pegasus Captain redeeming himself somewhat by dying while performing an heroic act.

All in all, I think this was about the best ep since Resurrection Ship, despite the aforementioned appearance of the most boring couple :)
  • Great Improvement compared with the last 4 episodes, even if this episode is filler by 80%.

***This review details –» this is a "I" perspective, based in what I like and recognize to be good or interesting, this is not a "god" where the guy thinks what he thinks is the true or the "you" perspective where I know what you will like and what you don´t.***

It seems that this episode focus is about Lee again, but contrary to his last centered episode, this one really rocks. This simple Storyline begins simple and through the episode the development is really superb, full of action and a great closure.

Presentation Phase - » (8/10) interesting,
    Complication Phase - » (9/10) this story development is great,
    Climax Phase - » (9/10) high tension, action and great effects,
    Ending - » (9/10) the closure couldn´t be better, but of course, making Lee a commander was forced.

Details/Progress (To point A to B) -» (9/10) this story gets to the point,
    Time and Scene Management - » (10/10) even if it is filler, almost all the scenes were well done and managed, rare,
    Plot Details/Holes- » (9/10) almost fine, didn´t buy the fact that the commander was the only option to go there, but I understand, is because of the plot.
    Storyline -» (9/10) beautiful,

Drama - » (8/10) good points and light drama,
    Action -» (9/10) there is a part full of actions and beautiful effects,

• A episode with everything

I really liked it - it was the full package with it's best. We have Lee, overcoming his shooting and now he is going on Pegasus to sort out some problems - and main one is Starbuck who is mad to the world again and with everyone - and mainly it looks it is about Lee and that he cannot stand that engineer in the front of the fleet, but there are some more.

So we have some drama and emotions but even more - we have action, great battles, visual effects and great story. And we have the president's election question and I think we all knew where it is coming - Gaius does whatever he is told and president has an worthy opponent to stand against.
  • Action and More Action.

This episode is about leadership. Its hard to believe in the course of only a half a dozen or so episodes we see four command changes in the captaincy of the Battlestar Pegasus. We get to see so many different command style and judgments that affect not only the crew but to the rest of the fleet. In this episode we get to see how a commander that only see things that are black and white, on or off, yes or no. Once again we see lack of command discipline not only in the ranks but from the higher echelons. We also get to see a lot more of the rivalry between the two battlestars. Ultimately we get to see Admiral Adama make the moves that everyone watching is expecting.
  • Lee is the only one that can handle Battlestar Pegasus in the show, other that Admiral Adama and he has the Galactica. Promoted to Major then Commander. This is the best show on the Sci Fi channel. Keep the great episodes coming.

All of the characters are well written and great acting. You have all of the realistic characters in this show. Love, secrets, and lots of action and twists around every FTL jump. Can\'t the only thing I can\'t believe is that Admiral Adama would promote a man who has NO COMBAT experience to Commander because of rank. But in the end, he picked the one that was best for the job. Starbuck needs to be CAG for the Galactica, Pegasus on the other hand I have no idea as to who should be CAG. I love this show.
  • Hey, Ron! nice to see "Battlestar Galactica" is back!

After the drought of the last few episodes, it is good to see nuBSG once again cranking out the stuff of excellent drama. In the Captain's Hand we have everything that made the first season so watchable: a potential Cylon threat; a crisis within the civilian community; more undermining of the "status quo"; new growth for key characters.

The only blot on the landscape lay in the fact that some of the tension - notably aboard the Pegasus - had to be manufactured within the episode itself, rather than forming an organic growth of seeds planted in earlier episodes. Commander Garner's problems with Thrace (even allowing for the off-kilter way in which she has been handled of late by the writers) is a case in point: he is more an extension of Tigh than a character established in the aftermath of Black Market; he we seen more of Garner beforehand (rather than weebling around with the likes of Scar and Sacrifice), then the problems between him and Thrace could have been given more layering than a simple, "I'm an officer, she's a frack-up."

This aside, most of the episode was excellently handled. The Cylon lure is exactly what we might have expected during the first season, and utterly in-character. It also raises some interesting questions:

- Was the trap designed to specifically snare the Pegasus, or merely an attempt to get one or other of the battlestars at a disadvantage?

- Did the Cylons know the fleet was close to hand when they set the trap, or was it happenstance?

- IF the Cylons knew the fleet was close to hand, does this mean they are once more shadowing it?

All three questions are clearly inter-related. Pegasus herself is potentially the more dangerous of the two battlestars, but she is handicapped in having an inexperienced CO. If the Cylons wished to return the status quo within the Colonial fleet (i.e. leaving it with just Galactica), then offing the Pegasus while she was in the hands of a man without any combat / tactical experience would be too good an opportunity to miss. If the trap was laid specifically for Pegasus, then it opens up significant new opportunities for future stories.

However, it is the political manoeuvrings that most held me. The question of abortion vs. survival put a whole new slant on things and fell neatly into the whole arc of BSG that it was an obvious and natural outgrowth of the story from which to springboard Roslin's crumbling position and Baltar's (long-hinted) further "betrayal" of those around him.

All in-all, a well-paced story, well-executed and which (hopefully) sets up future arcs. What a pity it either didn't come a little sooner in the current season, or that the writing of the previous episodes wasn't up to this standard.

• Back on Track!

After a few sub-par episodes (though still excellent in comparison to most shows), BSG is back. My only complaint is there is just so much going on it occasionally feels rushed. I would have liked more time to know the latest Commander of the Pegasus before he met his end - much like the two before him.

Lee is in command. And Baltar is crazier than ever - but he is now crazy like a fox.
  • The misstep of a good man

Woo-hoo! Way to go, Commander Lee Adama!

I appreciated the undercurrent of tension between Lee and Kara, considering that Lee must be struggling to forgive her for shooting him, and Kara must be struggling to forgive herself. It certainly made their relationship even more complicated all of a sudden.

What a nightmarish dilemma... the whole civil liberties issue! I would seriously hate to be in President Roslin's shoes; although, her rationale for banning abortion is deeply thought-provoking. It's like the opposite of China's situation where the government wants to curtail the birth-rate due to explosive and unsustainable population growth.

My one gripe about this episode is that I'm really curious about the number of fatalities during the Cylon ambush. There were 49,584 survivors at the start of the episode, and then President Roslin's whiteboard read 49,579 after the Cylon ambush. That means only five people died in the ambush? It seems quite a stretch in my opinion. This means that there were no fatalities other than the 4 crew members of the two lured raptors and Commander Garner who died sacrificially.

I suppose it's possible the full number simply hasn't been reported yet. I'll just have to wait and find out the answer next week.
  • The tension is mounting.

Another solid episode. This episode feels like the Battlestar Galactica of Epiphanies. There is a lot going on, and there is not much time to do it. But somehow, the episode weaves through with powerful one-on-ones, great battle sequences, and interesting storyline developments.

Personally, I think this is the best episode since Epiphanies. I like my Battlestar Galactica when there is a clear ensemble effort. Despite the rather small roles of Olmos, Hogan, and Helfer and the non-existent one from Park -- this episode felt like a group effort. Fine work was found from James Callis (That last scene was a gem), Jamie Bamber, and Katee Sackhoff (who is impressing me more and more with each passing episode). The last scene between Lee and Starbuck was a gold mine. Not an ounce of sap -- just gut honesty and mutual admiration with a tinge of intimate tension.

As much as I enjoyed a look at personal confliction with leadership (and a great effort by guest John Heard), the underlying subplots are what made this episode for me. The abortion subplot, I thought, was tastefully and appropriately done. I can't think of an issue that could spark quick and detrimental political fallout in our society more so than this one -- makes sense to have it on BSG as well. And what a bewilderingly brilliant way to bring Baltar into the race. Ooh, I'm loving the slimy slope this storyline has the potential to trek in.

I like the look this latter half of Season 2 has had on personal conflict. No one has done it better than Katee Sackhoff, who has made her character one of the most complex and engrossing "good guys" in quite a while. Her performances are edgy, mixed with recklessness and fear, with a facade of an arrogant lack of discipline. Jamie Bamber has had a bit more screen time but a much more complex evolution to endure. During the rocky and unfortunate Black Market, purposeful personal backdrop seemed forced and unnecessary. Yet somehow, Bamber has endured the hardship and made his character convincingly complex and multi-dimensional. This episode, along with Sacrifice, has helped.

The return of Callis and Helfer was welcome. These two work so well together. Even with the reduced screen time, both are scene stealers. I thought Callis was especially on target in this episode (He rarely is not, but this is a standout in his repertoire). And McDonnell, as usual, was superb. It's amazing she can portray a character with a level head AND a sense of hopeless chaos at the same time.

The main storyline was itself entertaining and revealing -- and it was nice to see a Cylon battle, albeit brief, in the process. The tension is mounting, my friends, in what promises to be a most entertaining way to round up Season 2.
  • "This week... on a very special 'Battlestar Galactica'..." (Excellent episode except for the Garner character-arc conclusion...)

I guess I'll skip (mostly) right over my feelings on how I thought this episode contained some of the finest sequences the show has yet provided (the entire Pegasus vs. three base stars offered up untold treasures, not the least of which included Jamie Bamber's performance in the moments after he is unexpectedly handed command of the recently nuked Battlestar). Instead, I'll just get to the part about the whole Garner-saves-the-ship-in-an-all-too-familiar-formula-in-order-to-save-the-ailing-Pegasus.

As audiences and critics alike have discovered, BSG has succeeded on a variety of fronts this season in becoming one of the most compelling shows on television. This, I cannot help but agree with... I don't think the show has ever been better. The reasons I've heard given for this triumph often revolve around the whole "no, it's not a science fiction show, it's a _human drama_ show that involves some sci fi elements". Although I can see the argument for this, I don't believe this is why the show has become so interesting. Instead, I would credit the basics that strengthen and help any hour-long drama on television become a lasting success... intelligent writing that deepens characters, taught plotlines that move the action forward, and key performances that merge actors and their dramatic counterparts into a single being. (The kick-ass space dogfights don't hurt either, FWIW...)

So why did the show cop out and use such a cheesy device to save the Pegasus? After unflinchingly dispatching two commanders of the Pegasus in such unexpected, compelling ways... why do the obvious (and unnecessary) thing and have Garner's character absolved by saving his ship and crew?

Okay... I have to agree strongly with the decision to have the recently promoted Major Adama suddenly and unexpectedly thrown into the thick of the fight. The brilliantly directed sequence not only forced Apollo to deal with command of a Battlestar under attack with fairly grim odds of survival, but it also re-enforced the Galactica-Pegasus crew schism. Admittedly, we've seen plenty of confrontation between the crews dating back to the Tyrol-Helo insty-court-martial (all of which I expect to continue to build to a future breaking point), but the purpose of this scene seems to be about Apollo. Frankly, there's been enough evidence of tension between the men and women aboard the Beast and the Bucket that using this scene for that purpose seems besides the point (perhaps, as intended by the producers of the show). So, I'm down with the whole Apollo-has-the-con thing. And then Garner exits (stage left, even)... and begins the laborious process of doing exactly what I feared he'd do.

He saves the ship. At the cost of his own life. In a scene lifted almost directly from "Star Trek II", with low tech spanners and hammers substituted for dilithium chambers and... other Star Trek nonsense.

Why?

Certainly not for lack of alternative ideas from the producers of this stellar show (pardon the pun)... at least, not as evidenced by the originality they've demonstrated in helping previous jerk-off Pegasus commanders kick the bucket. So why does Garner require absolution for being a dick?

In considering alternative paths to the Pegasus' FTL drives getting back on line, the only reason I can see goes back to one of the basics I mentioned earlier... character.

Garner had to bite the dust... granted. But did he have to do the heroic deed himself? He could have had a "best boy" down in the engine room, someone that appreciated engineering and had a knack for mechanics (again, as Apollo noted, he related to machines, not to people)... or even a team of engineers that the audience was exposed to earlier in the episode. I like this idea, as it gives us characters to relate to... characters to put in jeopardy that we'll care about while they're tring to save the Pegasus from a Cylon armada attack.

But that doesn't really solve the cheesy-ness problem. It's still Garner's character arc they'd be completing. Not satisfying.

So, considering another alternative, we could have had a nameless crew of engineers working together, desperately trying to solve multiple desperate problems while Lee shits himself on the mayhem-filled bridge. It focuses the audience attention on Lee and the space battle... and Garner can still get the axe.

I suppose this approach is at least more satisfying than the ho-hum "can Garner twist all three knobs by himself in time?!?" But I also have a problem with the anonymity of the Pegasus crew miraculously saving the day.

As I started with... the show has hit its stride at the end of this second season (and, might I add, come a LONG way from what I regarded as a sputtering start in the mini-series and early season one... back when I considered myself among the GINO crowd). The writers, directors, and Mr. Ronald D. Moore have clearly demonstrated they can make this show rock.

When they're ready for a better solution to the Garner disappointment, they can give my agent a call.
  • Fine example of why I watch the series.

Absolutely fabulous episode. It had everything from a 10 min cylon battle to politics.
    The new commander though a very brave man is not exactly the best strategist. He falls prey to a typical cylon trap.
    This is a milestone episode for Lee Adama, 2 promotions in one episode and now he gets to command the Pegasus, that’s awesome.
    The abortion card was not a good idea, I’m sure the writers could have certainly thought of a something better for baltar to announce his presidential candidacy.
    The presidential race is gonna get very interesting now, Baltar and Zarek vs. Madam President. By the way a new secretary to the president has also been appointed.
    The cylon war was amazing, and the graphics were as good as always.
  • Two Adamas in one fleet? It's madness. This epidosde riddled with character tension, plot movement, and a 10 minute battle with the Cylons.

Certainly not the best episode this season, but definitely hard to take your eyes off near the end. It starts off when two raptors go missing in a training mission. Starbuck wittingly figures out that they were probably lured into a trap by the Cylons and Apollo agrees with the hypothesis.
    When the commander of the Pegasus breaks orders and follows the missing raptors, he leads the ship into danger, when three cylon bases appear in a trap. Luckily they make it out.
    The scene with Apollo and Starbuck making amends seems to be heading somewhere, but will no doubt be set back soon.
    With Apollo as commander of the Pegasus, I believe he is hindering the fleet by not being a fighter pilot, even though new pilots will probably take his place.
    The battle with the Cylons however shows Apollo will make a fine commander, like his father. He has the ships attack one of the cylons full on into the center of the ship damaging it severely.
    I can only assume, by the direction our heroes are headed, that Apollo will find being a commander is not so easy or appealing as it may seem. Dr. Baltar will no doubt be the new conflict to deal with, for he will no doubt cause the president problems and do anything to become the new president.
  • Plot threads continue to percolate

Ron Moore wasn’t able to produce a podcast for this episode, which is unfortunate. I’ve found it educational to hear the perspective of the creative minds behind an episode after having seen it and evaluated it for myself. In this case, I enjoyed the episode for many reasons, despite a few things that gave me pause, and it would have been nice to hear what the writers were trying to achieve.

This episode served to remind me that time has been moving in leaps and bounds since the end of “Resurrection Ship: Part II”. This accelerated timeline helps to move some things along while retaining a certain degree of continuity. The writers wanted to bring the election issue to a head at the end of the season, and that needed to be about eight months after “Bastille Day”. That required a quick pace. Also, time had to pass for the Cylon fleet to regroup, send out scouts to find the human fleet, and then bring forces into position.

All of that makes sense to me, especially since it explains why so many internal issues have come to plague the Colonials of late. Decisions are catching up to people, and it’s creating a rift. There’s a growing distrust of the military and Roslin. There’s been a subsequent rise in power for Zarek. The past few episodes may have been flawed at times, but taken in context within the story arc, they set the pieces in place on the board.

One big issue has been the Pegasus, and that is at the center of this episode’s nightmare. Adama was placed in overall command of the military within the fleet by Roslin, which doesn’t necessarily demand the respect of Pegasus personnel. Garner is a mixture of a green command officer thrust into the spotlight too early and all the negativity regarding Galactica and Adama rampant among the Pegasus crew.

It’s far too early to tell if Lee is ready for command, but he demonstrated a sense of politics when he refused to speak ill of Garner, despite his enormous shortcomings. Garner’s end was somewhat cliché, but it was engaging to watch. The timeline ought to give the fleet enough time to repair Pegasus to a sufficient degree, but the real issue will be Lee’s command and how it plays to the underlying distrust of Adama within the fleet.

I found the abortion question in this episode to be perfectly sensible, and Roslyn was all but trapped by the issue. It gave Baltar the perfect opening, especially given the fact that Zarek had the perfect issue to champion (individual rights) as the power behind Baltar’s candidacy. Recalling that Baltar is in league with Gina, who may also be in league with Zarek, the finale could end with an effective coup. After all, the Cylons would benefit greatly from having Baltar in power, thus facilitating whatever their true objective might be.

That said, I was a little put off by how quickly Lee was promoted to command. For that matter, Starbuck was also placed in a command role too quickly, given her recent troubles. That’s a sign of the fleet’s desperation, sure, but it’s also a bit quick for my taste. And while I was impressed by the fact that the Gemenon religiosity demonstrated some disturbing aspects, I was annoyed that Roslin’s apparent prophet status didn’t come up. Still, those were minor issues for an otherwise strong episode.
  • Don't wash you captain's hands of this episode!

(Apologies on the crappy summary thing.)

Good Ep. I'm feeling a little like we're getting back into BSG territory again, which is a good thing.

Doc Cottle gets some...well, I don't know what he got, but I'm intrigued about his behavior.

Baltar and Six return with...well, I wouldn't call it a vengance, but they return at such a time and in such a way that one can only go NICE!*Baltar's running for president?! I want a campaign button and I want it now!*

The Abortion card was a nice one to play. When it started in the episode I was curious where they would be going with it...and it took a complete turn from where I thought it would go, but I'm here to tell you I am completely okay with that. This new direction is very fulfilling.

Then of course, we have the Pegasus. The monkey on our back's since resurrection ship. We get to delve a little deeper into re-acclimation issues. And we get to see a great Admiral Adama mistake in action, leading to one of the finest death scenes this show has had. (And there have been many of late.)

Great battle scenes. Good tension. A handful of HS moments. And some eye widening decisions that lead to fervent speculation.

Basically, In my opinion this is a good episode with great movement on more than one plot thread. It begins the set-up and build for the season finale (which I wish had begun three episodes ago, but better late than never.)

Alright, Ready Alert fighters...season 2 is coming in for a landing.
  • The enemy within...and without! (spoilers)

After a number of episodes in which the remnants of the human race seemed intent upon finishing themselves off (with terrorists wanting to appease the enemy & more terrorists accusing the military of appeasing the enemy), the Cylons return to give our flawed heroes reason to band together once again.

Unfortunately, that did occur rather late in the episode; in the meantime we had more internal strife in the form of Gaius Baltar, making use of a potent political issue to figuratively stab President Roslyn in the back, live in front of the media, for good measure. Also, we learn the crew of Pegasus is still having trouble learning to work & play well with the crew of Galactica, which is especially awkward, considering that Galactica is the presumptive flagship of the fleet.

All in all, a good episode & a transitional one. Where I differ from a number of other reviewers is finding the introduction of the abortion debate to be quite fitting in this episode's (and this series') context. People, there are fewer than FIFTY THOUSAND human beings left! Did you never think that abortion might actually be a legitimate issue these survivors would have to face?! Are you all a bunch of rightwing nutbags?!?!

Abortion is a human problem. Religious intolerance is a human problem. These are the last vestiges of the human race, for all we & they know. Fifty thousand people is a pitifully small gene pool.

The characters of this series are terribly flawed & conflicted, yet noble & heroic; in a word, human. Just because they have near-miraculous technology at their disposal does not make them perfect. After all, with all of our wonderful technology, we are far from perfect...think about it.
  • We have a Commander Adama...again!

Lee "Apollo" Adama is the Main of this episode.

Two raptor crews get lost and the commander of the pegasus tries to find them, allthoug Admiral Adamas orders were to wait - The commander dies, because the Pegasus is trapped by the cylons, raptor crews are dead - Apollo takes command in the battle, and has big success - after jumping back into safe zone he gets promoted by his father and is now Commander Adama - not Major - and the new Commanding Officer of the Pegasus.

All in all a real good episode. Seeing Apollo as the new commander just rocks!
  • A Brilliant watch

Adama and Dualla at begining thumbs down for tackyness i like the relationship but they are not showing it right. and while im moaning Adama with basically two promotions in the space of 45 minutes. Zarek and Baltar scheming together, brilliant. Pegasus in cylon attack thumbs up. Balter announcing himself as presidential candidate.....need i say more for this epic show.
  • Pegasus rules when this episode prepares us for the finale.

This episode shows that this show can get even better. After the last episodes which I can't declare as fillers since they showed us so much of the fleet's life and humanities struggle with itself, the big plot is progressing again.

That the Pegasus would get problems with losing three leading officers in such a short time(lets include the officer Cain killed herself according to Fisk) was clear and that the old man sends his two best mans, Starbuck and Apollo to seemingly very needed, giving the new commander's inexperience. But the Pegasus's Admiral is still Cain, a fact shown when the word of Starbuck's insult is given to Garner or when the marine arrests Apollo who represent Admiral Adama's authority on the ship.

Through Garner's mistake the Cylons' trap snaps shut and in the following battle he is consequently killed. Again Moore shows that Galactica isn't about showing space fights by centring the battle on the proceedings in the ship and not the, yet wonderful animated war outside. Lee being promoted to the Pegasus's commander is even so consequent, since this way Admiral Adama has someone in command on this ship whom he can trust as who already has earned himself the trust of the Pegasus's crew by leading them in a battle.

The other part of the episode is even so, if not more importand and begins with a Gemenese girl seeking help to abort her baby on board of the Galactica. We gain a bit insight(and yearn for even more) in the diffencese in the twelve colonies culture(s) when the leader of the Gemenons' is claiming her back as her parents' "property", something the President isn't ready to accept.

It ends with a controversial decision of her concerning the personal rights of the women in the fleet and in the outbreak of the open war between her Baltar(after having been assured help by Zarek) when this announces his own campaign for presidency in the upcoming elections, elections which may not just decide over the future of the fleet, but humanity itself.
  • A good episode. After all this is a filler episode.

Serious stuff is happening here. The president is forced to hardest decisions. Adama makes his first big mistake, when he makes his decision about the new Pegasus commander.
    But why Apollo gets the command of the Pegasus now? I mean he isn’t the highest ranked officer and in the fleet. I mean that just looks for personal favourites.
    Starbuck is mocking again everyone. But this time she can show everyone again what excellent combat officer she is and what exceptional pilot too.
    The last conversation between Apollo and Starbuck brought their situation exactly to the point. Especially it characterised Starbuck better than any description ever could.
    Baltar reveals his intentions when he tells that he will run for president. We all could expect that, but as again, what has the imaginary number six to do with all this? She’s the perfect counterpart to him.
  • Galactica back to what its best at. War, Command and cyclon Intrigue.

I haven’t been impressed with the previous few episodes; in fact it’s all been painful viewing ever since the backside of resurrection ship. The past few episodes have lingered too much on one side of the show, be it internal fleet affairs, or viper stunts. The Captains Hand sees a return to galactica at its best, a seamless blend of many different narrative strands whilst not leaning too heavily on any particular one. Questions of Ethics and politics combined with full out battle make this a classic episode. Throw in the rise and fall of command and some positive character development and suddenly BSG emerges back onto my golden list. Here's to hoping it’s the shape of things to come.
  • On the whole a good story but!!!(spoiler)

What the hell did writers bring up an abortion debate for, surely they could have introduced the vice presidents throw for the presidency some other way???
    The cylon trap was a little predictable and I find it a little silly a commander would risk his ship in such a manner although it did allow for Lee's promotion to commander, now what will happen with his relationship with Dee? Will she be transferred or will this allow starbucks plain to see jealousy and affection for him to come out more?
    On the whole this was a good episode although the writers took short cuts in my opinion trying to bring the season finale up to speed. As a BSG fan I would like to see some more cylon activity, planning, collaborators and maybe even some more models, Bring on the Cylons, Give me more Cylons. I want to see the Cylons get represented and their agenda some what represented more.
  • Filled with moral fiber!

It seems the Pegasus has found some stability in its leadership. I don’t think Lee will meet the same fate as Billy any time soon; be that death or Cylon.

We open with Adama and Tigh discussing the new Commander of the Pegasus, an administrative officer named Garner. It seems Garner has functioned in an engineering type capacity, never leading troops in battle. He, however, is the best choice and off we go.

First up: two Raptors break radio contact with Pegasus and vanish with little trace, save for a few garbled words. Starbuck is the CAG and isn’t notified of the disappearance until she and Apollo hear it from Garner. Garner blasts Starbuck for not knowing sooner, and she responds with insolence and heads for her pilots. She yells at them and they confirm that she has been intentionally undermined by Garner; her troops instructed to tell her nothing, as she is not from Pegasus. Newly promoted Major Lee Adama is assisting the new Commander in the reclamation of the lost Raptors and gives Kara and the pilots a strong tongue lashing, telling Starbuck to think out of the box, and all of them to get in gear. Starbuck obeys, and comes up with a theory, based on the broken bits of the last transmission from the lost ships. She tells Apollo that she thinks the Cylons sent out a distress beacon to lure the Raptors to their demise. Apollo apprizes Garner of the potential trap, but the Commander wants to jump Pegasus to where the ships were lost. They call Adama, and Garner tells him what his intentions are. Adama asks Lee what his thoughts are and Lee, somewhat reluctantly, voices his and Starbuck’s opinion that it is a trap. The Admiral concurs and orders Garner to send in a team of Vipers and Raptors to check it out. Angered, Garner directs Apollo off the bridge.

Meanwhile a young woman has hidden in a cargo shipment in order to see Galactica’s chain-smoking curmudgeonly Dr. Cottle. Adama questions the stow-away and finds she is there to abort a pregnancy. The good doctor ultimately advises the young lady to ask for asylum; consequently she is not sent back to her parents. The spokeswoman for the girl’s colony has an audience with President Roslin demanding abortion be outlawed and the child be sent back to her parents, or she will lose the colony’s votes. The representative is told that the girl will not be turned over and abortion will not be outlawed. Laura’s new assistant rattles off the inevitable ramifications and is off to do political damage control. The Admiral over-hears most of this and remarks that the new assistant just isn’t Billy. The President agrees. Laura fought for women’s rights to control their bodies for many years back on Caprica, and is firmly entrenched in her beliefs. Admiral Adama reminds her of the statement: “We need to start having babies if our species is going to survive,” as he gestures to the human population scrawled on the wall behind her.

The disgruntled and inexperienced Garner decides to disobey Adama and orders the Pegasus to jump straight to the lost Raptors. Before the jump is made Lee relieves Garner of his duty, calling upon the guards to arrest him. However, they stay loyal to Garner and escort Apollo from the bridge. Pegasus, of course, jumps into an ambush. Three Base Stars are there to meet them and the first salvo damages the faster-than-light engines. Garner is the only man who can fix them, so he turns the command over to Apollo. Who hesitates, but settles in quickly and turns the Battlestar toward the Base Stars. One is destroyed by “the Beast’s” first volley, and they turn to the next. While the fight rages Garner crawls into some compartment in the engine room. The foreshadowing of his death is quite heavy, but he fixes the problem before the oxygen run out and trades his life to right his wrong. Apollo orders a jump and they are safe.

Starbuck and Apollo make their peace during the episode. There is some tension over him standing in support of Garner during her disobedience and due to the bullet she accidentally put in Lee’s chest. They hug, like friends, after swapping two or three “I’m gonna kiss you” gazes. [This is a bit out of line, what with Lee and D already getting it on earlier in the show. Those two seem to be getting around a quite bit these days.]

Apollo is called to Adama’s quarters and is promoted yet again, this time to the Commander of Pegasus. That was a no-brainer. Starbuck is recalled to Galactica so Adama can keep an eye on her.

The President holds a press conference and has decided to outlaw abortion to help in rebuilding the human race. At the press conference where this is announced The VP – Gaius Baltar, after a consultation with Tom Zarek and #6, betrays Roslin and throws his hat in for the presidential election, on a pro-abortion platform. [Is Baltar a Cylon? Could it be that obvious? I am really curious to see the other models. Maybe Billy? Zarek? Any ideas?]

This was a very good episode. It brought the last few together nicely and moved the storyline forward too. The action was quite entertaining, though the look of the battles seems much more ferocious than the end damage. The characters are developing nicely and there are many back stories left to resolve. In my opinion some of the recent ones have been a bit trite, but the story arc still has me gripped. This series is good on so many levels; it has my vote for best sci-fi show currently in production.

• A comment or two on what was not explained (spoilers)

Does anyone find it odd that only a handful of people are dead when the Pegasus was hit with several nuclear missiles? And one small crack in a bulkhead... Obviously there was more damage. I think the Pegasus was severely damaged, hundreds must have been killed, and then there is that pesky radiation problem. Never mind the nepotism of promoting Lee so quickly and putting him in command of Pegasus over Tighe...

While I enjoyed the show, I think there are some writer flaws creeping in, continuity problems in the story... I hope they are addressed in the near future.
  • More plot turns!!

This episode was fantastic. I love the fact that Lee was really in his element and kicked some booty!!! He really showed that he's a wonderful commander, I'm glad he was promoted. It seems that the position of the Commander of the Pegasus is a bit cursed, I think Lee will break that curse. :)

I love the way they're setting us up for a big finale and cliffhanger with the elections and the race between Gaius and Madame President. This looks to be the beginning of some very exciting episodes. Well Done!!!
< 1 2