Battlestar Galactica

The Captain's Hand

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 17, 2006 on Syfy

• Asylum.

Well, I quite enjoyed that, another mostly standalone episode but still very entertaining and there were a couple major advancements to the running plot.

I kept flip-flopping on what I thought of Roslin's decision to outlaw abortion, at first I was pissed, then I felt for her, then I was pissed again. Went back and forth like that for awhile. Either way I knew after the first time watching that I enjoyed the plot, as it provided a nice dramatic counterpoint to the action and suspense of the Pegasus storyline. I would have loved for this to have been the final straw so I could right her character off completely and under any other circumstances besides extinction of the human race, I would've been(and stayed) furious at her. But if I can truly believe Baltar's numbers, than I can't help but agree it's a necessary evil. Then there's the fact that Adama was the one to really put the idea out there, plus Roslin was clearly struggling with the decision. So in the end I think I might just have gained some respect for her because she had to make such a difficult decision and one I would have had to agree with. I was definitely behind her(if only for the rest of the scene) after her line to the Geminiese delegate, in fact I think it was the first time I really felt like applauding Roslin. The vehemence of her words(and eyes) was intense.

Roslin: "You have your pound of flesh and I suggest you take your victory and you move on."

Baltar seizing the opportunity to break stride with Roslin and announce his candidacy was a nice reminder that he's definitely back to his old, snake-in-the-grass self(not that the nuke didn't help to bring that point home). It almost makes me feel bad how behind him I would've been just a short while ago, and that it wouldn't have just been from a dislike of Roslin. He's so charismatic and I like his character so much that it's easy to forget that self preservation(or even worse, his own happiness) is always his number one priority(See 33), and I can only imagine how that would impact his decisions if he became president.

I liked the plot involving the Cylon's phony distress call, some of the scenes almost had a sci-fi horror feel to them. Especially the scene with the two intact Raptor's occupants all dead. The mystery of what actually happened to them combined with the reveal of the Cylon trap had me on the edge of my seat. The suspense built up nicely throughout and led to another intense firefight. I liked getting to see the Pegasus in action again. Aesthetically speaking I actually prefer it to the Galactica(call me crazy), I think it's much more aggressive looking on the exterior(which makes sense considering the storyline had it as the "evil" Battlestar), whereas Galactica seems more defensive.

I thought Garner's "Damn the torpedoes!" attitude made for some interesting scenes between him and Apollo. Though his voice sounded like it had been recorded to cassette and played back at increased speed. Apollo's scenes in the CIC played well with the firefight happening outside and Garner sacrificing his life down below(though that was a little hokey), combined they made for some entertaining moments. I like Apollo taking command of the Pegasus, if only because it finally means there is someone running it that Adama can trust(I hope).

A good mix of drama, action, and suspense.