Battlestar Galactica

The Hub

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jun 06, 2008 on Syfy

• If the previous episode didn't work because it was predictable and uneventful, I challenge anyone to have predicted the mess that was this episode.

Of all characters, we get Elosha to accompany Roslin in her (yawn-inducing) visions. The point of them is clear; however we could do with just the one scene instead of several separate scenes which appear incoherent at first. It's also a disappointment on the production side that the visions featured Roslin going back to the same place, and through a boring corridor. Who knew Roslin's mind could be so unimaginative. Gaius and Roslin talking to the hybrid was obviously meant to be humorous, but came out over the top. This is a shame not only due to misuse of the hybrid as a plot device, but also because those scenes (and the scene in which Baltar's dying) were extremely out of character for Roslin, and even Baltar. McDonnell and Callis deliver some of their worst performances in the show, whispering and making little sense, but with the quality of the script, who can blame them. We are re-introduced to Three, via a non-consequential scene with One and Boomer. If the best thing the villains of the piece can come up with is trying to convince someone to end the war, where's the conflict? Three is somewhat interesting; However, her little mind-**** with Roslyn, which in other episodes would be presented as menacing, comes, yet again, as over the top (and McDonnell's wooden acting in this episode was almost enough to convince me Roslyn is a cylon. I pray that anyone who will have to consider her for an Emmy will not see this episode). The whole eight-Helo thing seemed forced. I doubt they'll be referencing that again. Roslin betraying the cylons would probably be referred to, but at this point there's not much more the cylons can do. I don't mind the quiet, more personal, Battlestar episodes on occasion (though one could argue that this shouldn't be the case in the final episodes, or the episode where they destroy the resurrection ship). But this episode only did disservice to the characters and the audience.