Battlestar Galactica

The Hub

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jun 06, 2008 on Syfy

• JUMP!

Quintessential viewing, "The Hub" is exactly the reason I watch this show. The penultimate episode to the first half of the season encapsulates everything that makes BSG one of the most successful and critically acclaimed sci-fi shows out there. The acting was raised to another level entirely here, with Mary giving an exceptional performance as Roslin jumps from reality to a tour of her subconscious. It's beautifully played and powerfully handled. Moments like the bickering between Baltar and Roslin can only mean one thing: a Jane Espenson script. After a difficult episode that skidded a little too much off track, she wallops out one of her best scripts in quite some time, that pretty much has it all; it's humorous, poignant and rather philosophical, offering a perfect example of finding a nice balance between everyone involved. From the subtle moments involving Sharon and Helo, to the hilarious mislead D'anna spills about one of the final five, even the action scenes carried that extra bit of oomph, "The Hub" has it all. I may be in the majority here, but I sincerely think it even manages to upstage the finale, which is a strong episode that unfortunately feels a little rushed.