With last week's episode being essentially a setup episode, expectations and curiousity were high as to what a Geata - Zarek coup could mean. Well folks, The Oath Part 1 does not disappoint. If anything, more happened than I expected. The Oath Part 1 has you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end. At a high level, Gaeta and Zarek begin their quest to take control of Galactica and the fleet. Here are the specifics:
- Gaeta get's his people armed by faking a fire and taking out communications on Galactica
- Roslin gets back into the game when she finds out what's going on and uses Baltar's radio to communicate with the fleet in an effort to calm things down.
- Gaeta's men take, Six, Athena, Helo, Hera and Anders to the brig, (bargaining chips?)
- Anders tells Athena that he doesn't know anything more than the rest of the Cylons
- Adama and Tigh escape from their security detail after being arrested and begin an attempt to take back the ship.
- Lee trades the tie for a gun
- Kara kisses Lee
- Tyrol helps Roslin and Baltar escape Galactica, presumably to the rebel Cylon Base star
- Adama and Tigh hold decide to stay on Galactica to buy time for Roslin's escape.
While nothing profound happens in this episode, it was definately was entertaining. The brutality of Gaeta's men in trying to take control of Galactica was surprising and refreshing. It was also nice to see that not everyone who is following Geata fully believes in the cause. Also, what's surprising is the sheer number of people Gaeta was able to amass in order to carry out his insurrection. Oh the magic of tv! Regardless, here are a few things I thought were interesting.
1. Sebastian Spence is credited as a guest star and has a 10 second scene. Why?
2. Adama and Tigh being badass with an assault rifle in one hand and a pistol in the other was really cool. Its been a while since we've seen the old man show his teeth.
3. Baltar actually having screen time was nice. Even better was him being the self serving Baltar from season 1.
4. The guy that takes Helo to the brig is a friend of the man Helo and Tyrol killed on Pegasus.
5. Roslin finally getting back into the game, it was about time!
To be honest, there isn't much more to talk about with this week's episode. It felt like the second part in a trilogy. Next week's should be a doozy.