Battlestar Galactica

The Oath (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 30, 2009 on Syfy

• I never thought I would feel so much anger for Felix Gaeta. Is this what the human race has come to?

As Battlestar Galactica nears its end, we are treated to perhaps the most emotionally charged episode of the entire series. From the first second, I knew this was going to happen, but I didn't anticipate how emotional I would get, nor did I expect certain people to be involved in the mutiny. William Adama was displayed as a man who cares deeply for his crew. He had their respect and loyalty, and they obviously cared about him a great deal as well. For them to turn on him like this after everything he's done, it's heartbreaking. Boomer shot him because she was a sleeper agent, but what excuse do Racetrack, Skulls, and Seelix have? The entire time, I was burning with anger towards Gaeta. I can understand his animosity towards the Cylons, but for him to turn on the man he has served with all this time? This kind of betrayal is unforgivable, and it also makes me sad to see him fall so far. Adama has done nothing but protect the Fleet, and while there are times when he lets his passion obstruct his vision, he has always remembered what's important. Adama knows that Cylon technology is their best chance at survival. I don't think he's forgotten the Cylon holocaust, but he knows that a conflict with the Cylons is something he can no longer afford. Adama knows this, but Gaeta won't accept it. I can't wait for him to pay for what he's done.

One of the greatest things about this amazing ep was Kara Thrace. For her to go back to being the kick-ass tough as nails Starbuck we know and love, it was a reminder to why I love this series so much. My favorite moment had to be in the hangar deck. Skulls, the next time you wanna say "frak you" to someone, make sure it's not Starbuck, or at least don't say it to someone with a gun in their hand. Idiot. I would've loved to see Racetrack get shot too.

Lee Adama has always been one of my favorite characters. When the time comes, he's got it where it counts. Him and Starbuck together was quite a sight.

There were many scenes that were tough to see. One of which the Agathons being thrown in the brig, but not without Helo being knocked out. After seeing them in their quarters playing with Hera two episodes ago, it really upset me to have this happen to them. What really got my attention was Gage, one of the men who gangraped Gina, the Number Six infiltrator aboard Pegasus, and his thinly veiled threat towards Sharon. If this guy rapes her I'm likely to hate him as much as Gaeta. The question is, if it does happen, will Helo be able to come to her rescue like the last time?

Could you tell though, that Gaeta seems to be somewhat hesitant despite his crossing the line? Zarek sounded disappointed upon learning that Adama was still alive, and even though he ordered Narcho - another traitor - to destroy the Raptor headed for the Basestar, he showed a hint a hesitation. It may not matter. He's committed treason, Adama has sworn that there will be no forgiveness. There is no going back for him.

Speaking of said Raptor, Roslin and Baltar were both on it. Earlier they called each other out on their religious stances, with the both of them accusing each other of not believing in their own preachings. In the end, Roslin needed his help. They both want this to end.

Through it all, Adama and Saul Tigh did not forget one thing: their oath. They stayed behind to make sure that Roslin and Baltar escaped. For Tigh to risk his life for his best friend proves the kind of man he is, loyal to the end.

One of the greatest shows in TV history is about to end, and if this is any indication, it's going out on top. Brilliant episode from beginning to end.