Battlestar Galactica

The Oath (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 30, 2009 on Syfy

• "And even at that, we get some cracking character moments and the kind of punch-the-air TV that's been absent for too long from our programming."

By the Gods, this was one frackin' brilliant hour. My feelings towards Feelix have gone from "he's an OK secondary character" to "I want a bullet between his eyes" and they're supposed to: The Oath not only works from a fireworks point of view, with guns a-blazin' and Kara kicking arse (she's baaack!), but every action in this hour has been building up over the past four years. As people have noted, there's hardly a random face to be seen: every member of this coup have been in the show, no matter how minor their role, and it only serves to flesh out the series and makes for fantastic confrontations.

Highlights:

Starbuck back in action. FINALLY.

Roslin back in action. HURRAH.

Tigh and Adama are back in action. EPIC.

Heck, EVERYONE is back in action!

It's rare a show can pull off a no-holds-barred episode without falling to criticisms about shortcomings with story, but the series has more than had its fair share of character driven episodes, all paving the way for the kind of thrills this episode has on offer. And even at that, we get some cracking character moments and the kind of punch-the-air TV that's been absent for too long from our programming.