Battlestar Galactica

The Oath (1)

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Jan 30, 2009 on Syfy

• Gripping but worrying

Season 4 is beginning to worry me, and I'm probably going to be at odds with the rest of the reviewers here. While what is happening on screen is doubtless compelling and highly dramatic, and shows a lot of development for certain characters....

....I have to say the whole "rebellion / mutiny / uprising" theme doesn't wholly ring true for me. Which is odd, because I've generally found the political machinations of BSG and the character of Tom Zarek to be utterly compelling previously. I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" with "The Oath", or "A Disquiet...." before it; certainly there are some loose ends with Zarek that have to be tied-up. Where I do have concerns is that unless all of this is leading to a major revelation that clearly propels the entire story forward, then we're losing a lot of valuable story-telling time simply dealing with the Zarek arc that might better be otherwise used. What kind of revelation am I talking about? Well, I honestly have no idea - but I'm desperately hoping that it will bring about (and via a final confrontation with Brother Cabot, et al) that revelation that there are in fact NO humans....that EVERYONE we've been following these past four years are forms of Cylons. I've posted my thinking on this in the "Theory & Speculation of Earth/Caprica" thread in the forms, and I'm aware that I'm going right out on a limb making such a bold statement. However, leaving aside my theories as to how and why this could and should be...such a revelation would give a far more solid dramatic context to the "uprising" than we presently have. Certainly if in "Blood..." through "Deadlock" we simply get a rapid resolution that leads to Zarek's death, etc., without some major turning-point occurring in the story arc that propels us full-bore towards "Daybreak", then I think the longer term verdict on this arc could be "Good drama, but story padding"..... I await the rest of the season with fingers crossed.