Battlestar Galactica

The Passage

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Dec 08, 2006 on Syfy

• That was one hell of an episode

Wow. As a Starbuck fan, Kat never really registered on my dradis (haha) except for an annoying blip, but honestly, this episode has made me change my perspective completely. This was sheer emotion at its best, as we see an episode based on a secondary character, who was generally set up to be hated.

No more. Kat really brings it home in this episode; that someone doesn't need to have a decorated history in order to be considered a good person, and considering her past, she had one hell of a redemption to achieve what I believe is probably the best character episode of the season so far.

Cheers Kat, may the spirit of your sacrifice inspire the Viper pilots for many days to come.
  • Decent episode. They finally killed off Kat and made some progress with Baltar helping the cylons.

6.7
    I've never really cared for the dynamic that was written between Kat and Starbuck. It just seems forced. In that respect I'm glad Kat is gone from the show. What I don't like is how out of character BSG was in this episode, namely the unconventional formula it used in killing off Kat. Her confrontation with Starbuck and challenge to be true to herself led her back into the arms of her old bad-guy boyfriend. While BSG is a different kind of show, this episode deviated a bit from its standard fare.

What I really enjoyed was the digression of Baltar and his acceptance of his role in helping the cylons, if only at a minimum to sleep with as many of them as he can.
  • Treading water

Maybe the thought of Jane Espenson, a writer from one of my all-time favorite shows (Buffy) writing for one of my current favorite shows set the expectations bar too high for this episode. I went into this week's Battlestar Galactica, desparately wanting to love this episode. I've been looking forward to this one since I found out Jane Esponson was writing for Battlestar Galactica earlier this summer.

So, imagine how bummed out I feel when I have to say--I really didn't like it.

Don't get me wrong--it's no where in the same neighborhood of bad that "Black Market" was last year. But in some ways, it committed a bigger sin--"The Passage" was just sort of there. It didn't elicit much more response of me than some of the later season seven episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation did. It wasn't necessarily a horrible way to spend an hour, but it wasn't necessarily a great way to spend an hour. Instead, the episode was just sort of there, full of good ideas, most of which should have grabbed my attention and held it for the duration of the episode, but none of them really ever came together.

I've enjoyed the various plot threads the new Battlestar is willing to explore. I liked that we're exploring the issue of what would happen if the food supply was to dwindle and how Galactica would re-supply itself and the fleet. And, yes, there was an obstacle between the fleet and the raw supplies for food here. But then again, this same plot thread existed back in season one's "Water."

Then you've got the whole subplot on the Cylon ship with D'Anna continuing to commit suicide in order to download. At least we got a nugget of information that she's trying to see the five faces of the other skin-job models. But it seemed like the whole plotline was brought up including Baltar's finding out about it and then summarily dropped. As I think back on the episode, did we even cut to the Cylon fleet in the final act? It does bring up an interesting dynamic that D'Anna trusts Baltar more than the other Cylon models, but is that trust well founded? The guy did betray his entire race to the Cylons, so what exactly makes you think he's not going to betray you to get ahead? I mean, based on his pattern of behavoir, there is only one person Baltar cares about and that is Gaius Baltar. He can change sides in a conflict quickly and will do so if he thinks it will lead to his continued self-preservation. So, why does D'Anna trust him? And what will Baltar do with this information? And is D'Anna headed toward being the sixth Cylon skin-job to be boxed? And if close to half the skin-jobs have to be boxed, what does this say about being a skin-job? And then we have the Kat plotline. I get that Battlestar is trying to do what Deep Space Nine did and have a rich tapestry of supporting characters. And, for the most part, it does. But I don't think Kat was necessarily going to be one of them. For one thing, she was brought in as a mirror to Starbuck, which worked well in the episodes we saw with Kat last year. And while Ron Moore and company had an opportunity to make her more than just the "anti-Starbuck" earlier this year when Starbuck was down on New Caprica, I think they dropped the ball big time on it. So, here we get to a storyline where we find out that Kat isn't show she says she is and she's got a terrible secret from the past. And before you can say "redemption" Kat is driven by guilt to redeem herself, even at the cost of her own life. Which this all could have been good if it hadn't all come up five minutes before. Yes, we had hints on how driven Kat was, as we saw with her issue with stims (thanks to the "Previously on..." we are reminded of this), but other than that, none of this was all that well set up or excecuted. It almost felt like they wanted to find a way to kill off a character and went, "Well, why not do Kat?" At least last year when Billy was killed off, he'd had a character arc and his motivation was a complex one. Here with Kat, it just seemed a bit too one-note. Which, considering how rich the tapestry that is Battlestar Galactica ususally is, that's a big shame. Also, considering how rich the character backstory could have been for Kat had they dropped these hints all along or even developed her a bit this season, it seems even more of a shame.

It still was not a horrible episode though. It was a bit misguided and bit too much of the "been there, done that" syndrome, but it wasn't terrible. It wasn't a complete and utter waste of an episode nor was it exactly breaking any new ground. It was just content to tread water, holding time and having plotlines revolve without any movement forward. Maybe it's designed to make us catch our breath for big things to come next week. I hope so. I can forgive one down week in a season and certainly Ron Moore and company have shown the ability to bounce back. Let's just hope they bounce back this week.
  • Another great example of how modern day Drama - SF should be showcased!

This week the fleet suffers from hunger and to quote the obvious: ''desperate times call for desperate measures.'' Sharon explores a star cluster containing highly concentrated radiation levels and discovers protein rich algee good enough to still the hunger. Admiral Adama figures out a plan in which they use radiation enforced raptors to lead the fleets ships to their destination. Meanwhile we discover Kat is not really the Kat we have gotten used to. Kara finds out the truth and Kat takes a journey for redemption. Baltar ''gets his detective on'' and continues on in the hopes of finding out the truth about the remaining 5 cylons (Im getting the distinct feeling Baltar is infiltrating the Cylon Base ship, maybe even subconciously, crazy as he may be). Again, whats so great about this episode is that we see a character going trough a huge personal development effecting not only herself but also the people around her. She finds herself. Like our favorite mad Scientist Baltar said: ''In the end all we want is to belong some place, to discover who we really are.'' Because of these subtle changes in direction the character Kat, we all learned to detest, steadily started to grow on me. The journey for redemption, the revelations all effect the pilots and its crucial. Its a symbolic gesture, a salute if you will, to the sacrifices these pilots make on a regular almost daily bases. Its the heroics, the grandure and ''The Good People'' that make a difference. It made me feel sad to see one of these people go. Tragic but very important episode. Isnt emotion the thing that makes you feel alive afterall? Everytime I watch another episode I know it will somehow move me, and make me feel small and vulnerable. Its something most other series have yet to achieve.
  • An alright storyline, made great, by fantastic acting.

After the great episode last week, this continued the seasons overall good trend. Although this wasn't my favourite episode, it did have some very good highlights.

Firstly kudos to Kat. I never really found her character interesting for I was more of a Starbuck fan in Season 2 and I just found her a nuisance. She was a real bore in Scar but in the end I felt that she made up for her poor peformances in the past. She was a real pilot, full of guts and determination. This episode showed how great episodes can be if they are focussed on minor characters. Everyone has a story that is deserved to be told.

Baltar and Number 3's storyline was also really enjoyable. I loved the feeling that Lawless and Callis had between eachother. I also am loving the Hybrid and hope that we can have more of it in the future. I really want to know what did happen to the other 5 cylons and hopefully it will be revealed this season!

In the negatives, I found that the relationship between Kat and Adama, although the writing and acting was brilliant, came out of nowhere and I didn't really know they had a relationship before this.

I also got confused with the whole star cluster idea and the ships jumping through it. I dont really think that they explained it well enough.

But overall Kats peformance was enough to give the episode a positive spin. She really made the story and it was touching to see the way she died and Adama reacted over it. She was a deserving CAG.
  • Pretty decent filler episode

Yes, this was a bit of a filler episode--but there's nothing wrong with filler episodes. Other people have said that the premise was silly and contrived, but I didn't find it that way. Aren't all fictional plots contrived premises? So there's a food shortage and the only way to fix things is through treacherous territory. We, as scifi fans have swallowed worse things than that.

I'll have to say that Kat has never been my favorite character. Unlike Starbuck, I have a hard time seeing Kat as a tough-as-nails combat fighter pilot. Maybe it was the voice, I don't know. But if a semi-regular character has to die off, Kat was probably the best choice. I like the fact that when she knew her secret was going to get out--and she would probably lose her place as a fighter pilot--she chose to go out as a hero.

It was really interesting to see how Starbuck dealt with Kat when she figured out her little secret. Boy, Starbuck is really quick to lower the boom on anyone else that doesn't measure up to her standards. I think that shows us that there is still a lot of unresolved issues in Starbuck. Maybe she will finally get humbled a bit and apologize to Lee for what she did. The little scene at the very end when Lee is looking at her seems to indicate that a resolution between the two is still coming. I'm glad, because the little "I missed you" in the boxing ring was not sufficient.

Gata was boring a hole in Tigh with his eyes when Tigh came back to CIC. I sure didn't feel like clapping for his return to CIC. Are we supposed to just forget about the stuff he did back on New Caprica? (human suicide bombers) In my mind, he needs to redeem himself a bit before I accept him back with open arms.

Now, the Admiral did seem a bit out of character when he came and sat next to Kat and said he would stay with her. He just told everyone last week that he didn't want to be their friend anymore. Stoicly coming in and saying what he needed to say would have been in line with his attitude last week, not this soft side that we saw. That would be consistent. But my personal opinion is that I liked the Admiral when he had close relationships with the crew.

Overall, I give it pretty decent marks. The best episode this season? Not by a long shot. But certainly not the worst.
  • Kat-centric episode which was very well acted.

The on-going animosity between Kat and Kara resurfaced again in this episode. It's pretty cool how the two of them were so similar and in the end they found something that both of them could "bond" together about. I think I'll miss the character of Kat very much - even though she was a drug runner etc she was really headstrong and loyal and Galactica need more characters like that.

It was nice to see a character developing plot, it was also very well written and shot IMHO. Also loved how we finally get some more glimpses into the mystery of the final five and that number three is not as mechanical as she once was.

I don't really know what to make of Espenson melding Greek and Roman mythology together i.e husband of Hera = Jupiter. Definitely wasn't a mistake - Lawless would've probably informed them of it (Xena, anyone?) - and they wouldn't have made such an obvious blunder anyway. Probably the BSG way of spinning known things just to go with the star signs as tribes etc. After all, all is not as it seems in this show.

Overall this episode was a refreshing change from the two that came before it, which I thought could've been skipped over.
  • The food runs out and kat has a secret

The food processors in the fleet go on the fritz
    the fleet knows (somehow) that a nearby algae planet could solve thier problems.
    Unfortunately the radiation in the nebula between the fleet and the planet is lethal.
    The raptors must lead the ships througth the soup
    to the otherside.
    after several trips the pilots start becoming stressed,sluring and a little unglued.
    During the last trip kat loses her ship and refuses to stop looking.
    Both eventually show up but kat is not long for this world.

okay i dont like kat
    the character is annoying and stupid
    the scar episode her other moment of glory
    was poor too
    she was a background ,secondary character like hot dog or gatea.
    An episode centred on her was always going to be a loser in my opinion.
    Not a good actor either the good things tigh is back and shares a joke with adama
    the crew deal with hunger in a variety of entertaining ways and we hear of trouble from the civilians
    we find out what xena is up to another okay episode weak central character
  • This season's "Black Market"

Late in the second season, the writers ran into trouble when they chose to generate a seedy past for one of the main characters out of whole cloth. The result was “Black Market”, an episode that suffered from the dual sins of poor characterization (Lee Adama’s sudden sordid lifestyle and checkered past) and an over-the-top plot (human trafficking in what amounts to a small town). Even Ron Moore expressed his dissatisfaction with the episode, vowing to do everything possible to avoid the same mistakes.

Unfortunately, “The Passage” is what happens when history repeats itself. In this case, the whys and wherefores are even harder to fathom. For one thing, the main writer was Jane Espenson, well-regarding from her time with Joss Whedon’s Buffyverse, which seldom relied on cheap dramatics or retroactive character changes. Even if the writer’s room had dropped the ball, couldn’t Espenson have gotten things back on track?

The victim in this case is “Kat”, Starbuck’s longtime nemesis. Kat has gone through hell to gain the respect of her fellow pilots, but much of that is undermined in this episode. Suddenly Kat is a troubled young woman with a checkered past, possibly responsible for the infiltration of Cylons into the twelve colonies. Interesting parallels with “Hero” aside, making her an ex-drug runner seems extraneous and unnecessarily damaging.

All of it has a point, of course. The audience is meant to realize that it’s possible to become a hero, even when you’ve started at the absolute bottom, that it doesn’t matter who you are, but what you are. At the same time, Kat is driven by her self-loathing and guilt into a long and painful death. There was no reason for her to choose that particular path, especially after so much time has passed, and so any “lessons to be learned” are buried under a mess of confusing and contradictory messages. By the time Kara lectures her about responsibility, it’s clear that some of the characterizations are way off.

Beyond the inexplicable characterization, there’s an unnecessary degree of technobabble, something that Espenson herself has praised the series for avoiding. As if to facilitate the decision to kill off Kat, the writers came up with a ridiculous premise that would allow for self-sacrifice and maximum peril for the Colonial Fleet. The problem is that the logic of the situation doesn’t hold water.

The audience is asked to believe that the fleet must go through the center of a deadly star cluster to reach a planet with enough food to stave off sudden starvation. To eliminate the most obvious of alternate solutions, the characters just dismiss the idea of going around the star cluster by saying it would take too long. Apparently it never occurred to anyone to send just the ships necessary for food processing through the cluster and send the rest around cluster on a safer route. Once the food is ready, ships can jump the shorter distance to where the bulk of the fleet is. That’s just one solution; many others come to mind with a little consideration.

This episode also provides the basis for another clash between Humans and Cylons, as Baltar gets some oracular advice from the Basestar hybrid. By linking the hybrid’s information with D’Anna’s dreams, Baltar manages to point the Cylons towards a possible marker for Earth. There’s also an apparent connection to the five unidentified Cylon models. While this leads Baltar down an interesting (and familiar) direction, it’s also incredibly contrived.

If D’Anna’s explorations of the space between life and death, guided in some twisted way by Baltar, had led them to some shared understanding, it might have worked better. That was already implied by her decision to engage Baltar and Caprica-Six in their unusual sleeping arrangements. Instead, the writers chose to dump some exposition into Baltar’s lap. Unless the writers manage to make better sense of that plot element, this contrivance could undermine confidence in the writing staff.

The episode wasn’t a complete loss, of course. The score was excellent as always, often lending more to a scene than the emotional context deserved. It’s been a while since we’ve seen the memorial wall, so I thought that was a nice touch. I had been expecting a return to that idea since the exodus from New Caprica, if only because there should be a lot of new content after the losses there. Even so, it’s a good example of what the audience was probably doing as a whole: searching for the seasoning that would make this episode easier to digest.

(As a sidenote: I also have a podcast associated with my various reviews called “Dispatches from Tuzenor”. Current episodes cover “Battlestar: Galactica”, so it might be something of interest. Go to http://entil2001.libsyn.com if you want to listen!)
  • This was more than a filler, it was a necessary road to a destination.

This had been a road we had been on for a long time. Kat and Starbuck had been at odds for a long time and for Kat it became a personal journey of self discovery. Who had she become and was it enough to escape a past that may not have been so steller? She had slammed Starbuck for drinking who in turn slammed her for using stems. Yet as they struggled through the journey into a hell no one could escape they both found courage by looking at each other. There was no reason for the story except to illustrate how powerful personal redemtion can be. It was a story of a woman looking to be a hero so that she could seek forgiveness. They cheered for her and in the end that was all she needed to believe that she was someone worth while. They got us to the Eye of Jupiter and in doing so taught Starbuck a lesson about the people around her and what my friends is wrong with that?
  • This episode is the perfect example of how Battlestar at its worst is better than most television series at their best (albeit, series I've watched).

What astounds me about Battlestar Galactica is the sheer amount of talent packed into it's cast, both lead and supporting, and its writing staff.

To compare this episode to another sci-fi program, namely Enteprise, well I watched every episode of that show, and I place it's best episode (the pilot, Broken Bow [also the only one I've ever rewatched]) comparably to "The Passage" for plotting and execution. The supporting actress, Luciana somthing or other, has more talent than any one who was on that show, even its lead Scott Bakula, who can't act to save his life. So for a television series to pull off a heartfelt (and don't lie, they did her death very well, it can't be denied) and compelling episode centred on one of its most minor characters (Kat's like an extra for Starbuck to bounce off, right?), it has to be applauded. This reminds me of "Downloaded", which is one of my favourite eppy's. In that episode the focus was purely on the Cylons, hardly anything in the fleet...and it was awesome. A show that can do such things is a very special show indeed.

So, yes the radiation cloud that couldn't be drove around might have been a little contrived (but that kind of drivel was like what...the entire basis of Enteprise Season 3), but that's it, the only bad thing. This episode gave us an enlightning glimpse into the past of the troubled character Kat. For me it tied up loose ends (Kats agression, uneasiness with herself, wanting to be someone else [i.e. Starbuck]), humoured me (Tigh and Adama's giggle fest was fUN-NEE, ha,ha) and as always satisfied. It's never failed, and I'm betting it never will.

To summarise, TVs never been so good and I hope Jane Epsomsom (sorry bout spelling) comes back to write some more. Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, gooooooo, Battlestar!
  • So sad.

After last week's tearjerker I thought the writers would let us off the hook for a while,but nah,obviously they enjoy us crying our eyes out.

Kat shouldn't have died,it took some viewers a long time to actually like her(me included),but once we did we really enjoyed her presence.The show is scarce in well-written female characters;I'm a bit pissed off they let her go.

Everyone was their usual selves this episode and that's good.Kara - tough on the outside,soft inside.Her interactions with Kat were engaging.

Admiral Adama was really touching in that last scene;I love his character,his wisdom,empathy and big heart.

Baltar was...well,I never know what to say about Gaius.He is a traitor and a selfish bastard,but James Callis does his work so well that I can't help but to be enchanted by this character.I hope Baltar chooses the right side in the end,and redeems himself.

On the whole the episode had a clear storyline,good acting and was captivating.Just please make it a tad more cheerful next time.
  • Still going strong

I still like this programme.I think it has a lot to offer in the way of a story, I also like the way they are telling the story of some of the minor characters. I think they should do a little bit more of this.

This episode like the last one felt very much like a calm before the storm type episode. I think this series has a few surprises left in it. I like Starbuck in this episode,she has annoyed me a lot lately and it was nice to see her being her again. Looking forward to the second half of this series if I am right about the quiet before the storm bit!!
  • Not one of the best but in a group right below it.

I am guessing with all the technology, one thing remains constant, the fragile nature of the human body. While some things kills us in an instant others kill us slowly. In this episode the fleet faces three. The usual one if the Cylons find them and wipe them out swiftly with nukes and blasts. The other is one we were made aware of in previous episodes but didn't really get into. The process of starvation and the slow lingering effects it has on people. The third is radiation. While some people are more immune to others, it eventually kills us all. This one episode does combine all thise threats quite nicely in one storyline and decisions made. There is dramatic sequences but very few action sequences.
  • Too much time on a secondary character and not enough on the storylines I am interested in.

I have never really been too into Kat and a whole episode about her was a bit more than I could take especially when what you really want to see is the fallout from Unfinished Business. I will say that I am glad there is finally something interesting going on with Baltar. I am curious about the Hybrid and can't wait to see where that goes.
  • Seemed an unnecessary episode, not necessarily filler, but still could be skipped.

I understand the need for filler episodes to stretch things out, develop characters and have fun. This seemed to do none of the above. We get almost no insight into Kat (she was a drug runner who lied, big whoop) then they arbitrarily kill her. It just seems when you only have 42,000 people left, life should be a very precious thing and recently they been killing off secondary characters like Star Trek kills red shirts. It had exciting moments, jumping through the cloud and all but there was little sense of tension from starvation. The one scene where the pilots are literaly eating crumbs didn't quite do it. Next, I see no point to kill of Kat. I guess she didn't renew her contract so she had to go. The problem I'm beginning to have is they're clearly demonstrating, even when you are down to damn near extinction of your race, it's still ok to kill a few. No one seems to "get it." Hello! You're IT! YOU'RE all that's left. When the last one dies, turn off the lights to your race!

Somewhere life has to be shown as being important and every one worth saving because that's all there is. Losing people in combat is tragic but accountable. Killing because they helped cylons, were traitors, or took too much radiation seems a bit too much.

With episodes like these, at the rate their going, they're not going to make it to Earth because there's going to be no one left alive.
  • The Passage

The Passage was a superb episode of Battlestar Galactica and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was a lot of beautiful space scenes, character development, and some dramatic intrigue. The Cylon Three or D'Anna has a secret which she shares with Gaius Baltar and it's very interesting. The Hybrid gives some clues, and I wonder if it has anything to do with the final five. Kat was great and what she did was heroic. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!!!!!
  • Great episode.

The Colonial fleet is once again facing food shortage. Athena aka Boomer flies through a nebula cloud to find a planet that is rich in natural resources. This is a very interesting episode, the fleet is searching for food, but along the way they might find a way to Earth. But the cylons have Baltar to guide them to the same place. The trip through the nebula cloud is a treacherous transit, lives could be lost along the way. This is a really good episode, the space effects were really good. This is what I love this show for, and it never disappoints.
  • Oh, a lot of tears and emotions..

Ok.. I decided after I had watched really cruel and tearjerker movie that I need something to boost my mood watch this - and instead making my mood better, this one decided to be another big tearjerker so I did cry again a lot.

The story itself - I think it was little too predictable from some parts but I liked the irony in some other parts and the whole concept - the have to find a way.. risk and to be in the place they wish not to be.. and all the hunger thing - eating paper and the joke Tigh made with it.. But mostly it was about Kat and a great ending for her story.. I specially loved the end - her picture put on that wall, close where she put the picture of the girl whose name they did not remembered..

Symbolic...
  • Give the writer some credits on this episode

Passage is about the meaning of a person's identity .In the film Sommersby ,Richard Gere preferred death in his new good identity to stay alive in his old evil self .Kat did the same in BSG and she died honourably .It does not matter who you were but it matters who you are now .Good to see the writer had the guts to develop a secondary character so liberally in one single epidsode .Yes ,it is not the cup of tea for everybody especially bad for hard core SciFi fans .Should we all grow up a bit to look at more serious issues in this show : human nature ,meaning of war ,discriminations ,survival in adversity ,faith ,identity ,etc .
    WHAT A GREAT SHOW .
  • Sometimes you have to grow up

The Galactica has a food problem, and to keep the fleet from starvation, they must make a desperate journey to a planet rife with algae to restock their protein stores.

Yummy.

But the episode is about the pilots, in particular, Kat, who encounters a man from her past. He attempts to blackmail by revealing her tainted history, and as a result, Kat embarks on a reckless course of action, risking her own life to \"prove\" herself-- to Kat, to Starbuck, to Adama.

Other reviews talk about Kat and say she\'s a secondary character and doesn\'t deserve a whole episode. Those reviews are hopelessly shortsighted. Kat may be a secondary character, but her impact is felt on everyone who is a major character.

Starbuck liked Kat in her position. She liked having Kat as the best pilot. She chafes at responsibility. Losing Kat would mean she would have to be a role model again, something she\'s not very good at. In addition, Kat and Adama had a special bond, as was evidenced at the end of the episode. It\'s the same bond Starbuck had with Adama-- a surrogate father/daughter relationship. Even though she\'s not in the episode much, Starbuck is a focus, if not the focus, of the episode.

Good writing can tell a story about someone without them even being present. We all impact the lives of those around us, even people we meet in passing. People like Kat. It\'s refreshing to see \"secondary characters\" like Kat explored and treated as people rather than expendable roles.

Moore and his writing crew are exploring a three-dimensional approach to writing a series-- not just scripting what happens to the main characters, but the impact of the actions of those characters, as well as the impact on those characters by the actions, the decisions of others.

In Star Trek: TNG, you never encountered that. A crewmember would show up for an episode, make some kind of impact, then never be seen or referrenced again. It was annoying in the extreme. Moore, who worked on Star Trek: DS9, incorporated that kind of non-linear thinking into the scripts, bringing in periphery characters of significant importance to the crew. On BSG, he\'s taking it to a new level and it\'s a welcome change, a deeper examination of a refugee community and those who defend and lead them.

If you just want plot advancement and interactions between the main characters, you should pick up some good books and concentrate on the secondary characters and see how they impact the main characters. If you want a great example of that in a Sci-Fi setting, check out \"Dune\" by Frank Herbert, arguably one of the best Sci-Fi works ever made. Appreciate the detail each secondary character gets. It\'s not just a storyline-- it\'s a universe. And to be honest to your universe, you have to acknowledge the contributions of all characters, minor or major.
  • Those who found Unfinished Business a little too radical (no guns, no space battles or crash-bang-(but plenty of wallops) might prefer The Passage.

For me though the story really did reveal the flaw in 48-minute teleplays - The Passage really did need to be split over two episodes, if for nothing else to allow the demise of Kat to be given the proper consideration it deserved - and Luciana Carro really did deserve a chance to stretch out for a lot longer - seeing as it was her last opportunity to act in the series.

In the first shot though we are being propelled forward at just too rapid a pace. The foods gone off (er...) the only grub is on a planet at the far end of a ludicrously radioactive nebula (not too sure about the scientific basis for this one)...the fleets ships have crappy electronics (er..) the paint jobs on the Raptors aren't too good (er...) Cat's got a drug/people running past (this storyline just never got going at all, other than to provide a flimsy excuse for Kat to self-immolate slowly). The remourseless pace is justified in recognising that this is a race against mass starvation, but I felt the pace was a race against the 48th minute being hit. There was no opportunity for consideration, pause...some of the special things that only BSG can do. One highlight was the Adama/Tigh scene ("there's a paper shortage") which almost felt ad-libbed (and was perfect). If it was ad-libbed it would be nice to see this encouraged. Give the actors a starting line, what they are supposed to achieve and a rough estimate of how long they should talk, and let them get on with it, with no script. There isn't a member of the cast who isn't capable of this - and no show on TV past or present could boast that claim.

The pace was such that Mary McDonnell was criminally underused in this episode, whilst Lucy Lawless/Callis and Helfer had a story thread that was simply being used to setup the next episode. Surely a few scenes of the stress being imposed upon the fleet could have been written-in?

And Kat herself? Dead and gone, with hardly a word. An emotional scene with Starbuck, and a brief one with Adama at the end. Yet she had more to say in Scar in Season 2.

Too rushed, with too many inconsistencies and too few "special" BSG moments. I was one who scored Unfinished Business with a "10" - and weeks after that was broadcast I've had time to view it again and again and I now count it as the 2nd greatest piece of TV drama in the last 30 years (and the greatest was a BBC series called "Edge of Darkness" - Unfinished Business was THAT good).

However the concern is that Season 3 is just too inconsistent - drifting from superb to mediocre from week-to-week. Actors like McDonnell and Park and Aaron Douglas just aren't being pushed enough with the lines and stories that they enjoyed in Season 2. The muti-faceted threads aren't there - last season we had the Caprica story (Helo and Starbuck and Boomer) and the Kobol thread (Roslin, Tyrol, Crashdown...) This year though we have none of that; Baltar is seperated from the presence of those he betrays/saves occasionally, and there is no ground-based thread to follow. Whilst the New Caprica thread was running there was a wider scope in the storylines, but now Season 3 (with some very notable exceptions) is too compressed, too insular...and sometimes, too rushed.
  • Though better than the previous few episodes, still lacking luster and charm.

7.7
    The highlights of this episode (there are a whopping two) are when Adama and Tigh are discussing the food and paper shortage and the second happens simultaniously when we have a little more information as to why number 3 is suicidal and Balthus gets a prophesy from the bathtub toaster of prophetic babble..... or B.O.A.T. (Bathtub Oracle And Toaster)
  • Allusions to Greek mythology continue...

The Hybrid: "The Husband of the Eye, the Eye of the Cow..."
    Hera was also known as "Bopis" which means "cow-eyed", which was the key for Baltar to unlock the nonsensical ramblings of the Hybrid. It's interesting how the writers choose which symbols and attributes of each god and goddess they commandeer for the show. The hybrid could easily have said, "The brother of the crow, in a peacock-drawn wagon..." Ok, obviously not as articulate, but Hera is also generally linked to the crow, and was often depicted riding a chariot, driven by peacocks.

She was also known for her jealous tantrums, and spiteful nature. Will the writers of the series tap into this aspect of Hera as she ages. Will the new generation of God's children be driven by vengeance? Possibly to wipe out both Cylon and Man?
  • What a coincidence about a Russian spy dying of radiation poisioning and Battlestar Galactica's food supply contaminated and needing to find a new source. The problem is the planet is on the other side of a Radiation filled Star Cluster.

Baltar finds out D'Anna's secret about spiritual enlightenment through the power of resurrection and tries to find out more about the missing 5. As the fist of truth closes in, and the energy of the fleet depleted to within a last breath of hope, you're kept on edge just waiting for the next bomb to drop. BSG has taken amazing leaps and bounds this season. Current issues play a major factor even in the future. Great episode!
  • Hmm.. they done got their mythology all mixed up. Otherwise thumbs up. As always..

Hera, wife of Jupiter? I think not. That\'s mixing Roman and Greek mythology. Juno was the wife of Jupiter, whilst Hera was the wife of Zeus.

You\'d think after jeez, how many years of filming Xena, that Lucy Lawless might have just corrected the writers on that little mistake.

Other than that niggle (but dammit, it\'s really irritating) I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Sure, it might come across as a filler, but look at the bigger picture here people. BSG isn\'t all about shooty shooty pew pew episodes. This is going to be one of those eps where you look back at the end of the season and go \'oh yeah\' now I get it.

This modern day BSG series just doesn\'t get any better. One of the best on TV imho.
  • I really wanted to like this weeks episode.

Let me start by saying that last weeks \\\"Unfinished business\\\" was in my top 5 Battlestar episode.

I like character development as much as the next person, but this episode wasn\\\'t very good. It felt like an excuse to get rid of \\\"KAT\\\". This episode is in my bottom 3.
  • The struggle of the fleet against starvation, forces them to undertake a dangerous trip ...

One of the reasons why I love this show, is that it is so real ... things like food, water, fuel, etc. that would be the most difficult obstacles to overcome in such a long journey, are constantly touched on.
    Whereas, in other shows these things are very much of secondary or tertiary importance (for example in Lost, which is a great show, the issue of fresh water or food is barely touched on - a quick fix was given and that was the end of that problem).
    The fact that starvation is spreading throughout the fleet, forces the Admiral to take a huge risk and take the ships through a high radiation zone.
    Kat is the protagonist of the show ... and although I was quite sad that she died at the end, it couldn't have been a better portrayed death than how they made it out to be.
    One of my favorite episodes of the season.
  • I was very disapointed with this episode. I thought that it left too much to be desired by the end. I don't know what the modivation was to kill off a character that saw limited use in the first place. Should we care? I didn't think so.

5.2
    I would have to say that this has been the worst episode of Season 3 for me so far. I know what some of you are saying, what about Hero or measure of salvation. They were very close as well, but this took the cake because all I wanted to see was something really great after so many fillers in a row. This story was not what I needed when I saw it. I don't even know if I can sit through it again when it comes out on DVD. I would put this in the same category with water, bastile day, and epiphanies, but not Black Market.
  • I couldn't see the point of this story. It was jumpy, poorly edited and contrived. The worst episode of the season by a long way. Hope next week is better.

A poorly written and executed story for me. The food shortage scenario was sketchy and unconvincing; the whole jumping into danger idea felt clumsy and forced, and the only reason it seemed to exist was that so one character could die heroically (and after we'd had a completely arbitrary back story appear out of nowhere so we could empathise with her before she bought it.)

I was so confused by the storyline and the pacing I lost the part where Three kept rejuvenating herself and the reason she did so. The only part which felt interesting was Baltar's interaction with the Minority Report girl - that has promise. More please.

Otherwise, it was silly. We never saw what Helo had done to deserve being demoted in favour of Adama's old buddy, nor why suddenly Tigh is miraculously fit for duty again. And why dump Lee in favour of Kat just because "she did a good job?" Had Lee done a bad one? Why sack him? Unless it was a posthumous symbolic gesture which sounds sappier than Adama normally appears, and out of character considering his speech in the boxing ring last week.

Oh boy. Character erosion. Is it appearing already?
< 1 2