Battlestar Galactica

The Passage

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Dec 08, 2006 on Syfy

• Pretty decent filler episode

Yes, this was a bit of a filler episode--but there's nothing wrong with filler episodes. Other people have said that the premise was silly and contrived, but I didn't find it that way. Aren't all fictional plots contrived premises? So there's a food shortage and the only way to fix things is through treacherous territory. We, as scifi fans have swallowed worse things than that.

I'll have to say that Kat has never been my favorite character. Unlike Starbuck, I have a hard time seeing Kat as a tough-as-nails combat fighter pilot. Maybe it was the voice, I don't know. But if a semi-regular character has to die off, Kat was probably the best choice. I like the fact that when she knew her secret was going to get out--and she would probably lose her place as a fighter pilot--she chose to go out as a hero.

It was really interesting to see how Starbuck dealt with Kat when she figured out her little secret. Boy, Starbuck is really quick to lower the boom on anyone else that doesn't measure up to her standards. I think that shows us that there is still a lot of unresolved issues in Starbuck. Maybe she will finally get humbled a bit and apologize to Lee for what she did. The little scene at the very end when Lee is looking at her seems to indicate that a resolution between the two is still coming. I'm glad, because the little "I missed you" in the boxing ring was not sufficient.

Gata was boring a hole in Tigh with his eyes when Tigh came back to CIC. I sure didn't feel like clapping for his return to CIC. Are we supposed to just forget about the stuff he did back on New Caprica? (human suicide bombers) In my mind, he needs to redeem himself a bit before I accept him back with open arms.

Now, the Admiral did seem a bit out of character when he came and sat next to Kat and said he would stay with her. He just told everyone last week that he didn't want to be their friend anymore. Stoicly coming in and saying what he needed to say would have been in line with his attitude last week, not this soft side that we saw. That would be consistent. But my personal opinion is that I liked the Admiral when he had close relationships with the crew.

Overall, I give it pretty decent marks. The best episode this season? Not by a long shot. But certainly not the worst.