Battlestar Galactica

The Passage

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Dec 08, 2006 on Syfy

• This episode is the perfect example of how Battlestar at its worst is better than most television series at their best (albeit, series I've watched).

What astounds me about Battlestar Galactica is the sheer amount of talent packed into it's cast, both lead and supporting, and its writing staff.

To compare this episode to another sci-fi program, namely Enteprise, well I watched every episode of that show, and I place it's best episode (the pilot, Broken Bow [also the only one I've ever rewatched]) comparably to "The Passage" for plotting and execution. The supporting actress, Luciana somthing or other, has more talent than any one who was on that show, even its lead Scott Bakula, who can't act to save his life. So for a television series to pull off a heartfelt (and don't lie, they did her death very well, it can't be denied) and compelling episode centred on one of its most minor characters (Kat's like an extra for Starbuck to bounce off, right?), it has to be applauded. This reminds me of "Downloaded", which is one of my favourite eppy's. In that episode the focus was purely on the Cylons, hardly anything in the fleet...and it was awesome. A show that can do such things is a very special show indeed.

So, yes the radiation cloud that couldn't be drove around might have been a little contrived (but that kind of drivel was like what...the entire basis of Enteprise Season 3), but that's it, the only bad thing. This episode gave us an enlightning glimpse into the past of the troubled character Kat. For me it tied up loose ends (Kats agression, uneasiness with herself, wanting to be someone else [i.e. Starbuck]), humoured me (Tigh and Adama's giggle fest was fUN-NEE, ha,ha) and as always satisfied. It's never failed, and I'm betting it never will.

To summarise, TVs never been so good and I hope Jane Epsomsom (sorry bout spelling) comes back to write some more. Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, Battlestar, gooooooo, Battlestar!