Battlestar Galactica

The Ties That Bind

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 18, 2008 on Syfy

• Another intense and powerful story for BSG. While Kara seeks her own path to Earth and the Cylons sink into civil war, a young crew member discovers a dark secret about a loved one. An emotional roundhouse punch to the gut, especially the final scene!

Simply amazing.... That was my first reaction. That's still my reaction to this fantastic episode. A weak scene or two didn't detract from the impact of the main story involving Cally. (Spoilers follow.)

That final 10 minutes was incredibly tense and powerful. Not what I thought was going to happen at all. There were a lot of signs throughout the episode that Cally would commit suicide, possibly through the use of the antidepressant pills she got from Cottle. (One spoiler article that I saw accidentally had stated that Cally would commit suicide in this episode. Looks like the writers faked out those spoiler revealers although they did give away that Cally would die.)

Then I wondered if she would take Nicky along with her, thus leaving Hera as the only Cylon-human hybrid again. A lot has been made of Hera as the future but no one makes much of a fuss over Nicky, since only the four "Final Five" Cylons know that Nicky is a hybrid.

I wished Cally had had at least a couple minor appearances in the earlier episodes this season just so that her sudden central role in this episode didn't come across as unusual as it did. But that's a minor quibble.

The power of that final confrontation between Tory and Cally made up for some of the slower bits with Kara aboard the Demetrius. That's why I rated this a 9.9. If an episode can give me chills like this one did, then it deserves a very high rating. I took one-tenth of a point away for the relatively weak scenes with Kara. The Lee-Zarek-Roslin story was also pretty sedate. It sets up an ongoing battle between Lee and Roslin but not too much happened in that storyline in this episode.

But this wasn't about Lee or Kara. It was about Cally as she was finally featured throughout an episode for the first time in a very long time.

I see that other people recognized the Star Trek: The Next Generation reference too. I picked up on the weapons locker number immediately but I was too wrapped up in the story to submit it. Two other people submitted it. I also wonder about another item in the story. The freighter was named Demetrius. If you've read the online novel that I've been working on for the last 12 months, you would know that one of the original characters I created is named Demetrious Karkheris. I first posted that name online back in September I think. I wonder if someone on the staff read some of it and threw out the name of the freighter as a wink. If so, then I think that's incredibly COOL!! (Even if that's not the real story, let me think it is for a while. Hey, I've got an ego like everyone else.)

If people wanted to nitpick at anything, I guess they could talk about some of the arguing and also the four-way split among the stories of Cally, Kara and the freighter crew, Lee's new role in the Quorum of the Twelve, and the Cylon civil war, which left little time to explore each story in depth. But I don't mind that too much. Cally's story more than made up for any minor flaws and I just have to say that the final scene with Cally and Tory was just outstanding. A scene like that could make up for flaws in several episodes. Fortunately, with BSG, there aren't that many dramatic flaws, so the scene brings the story up to a 9.9 for me. Sad to see Cally depart though. Anyway, the episode is a must-see for BSG fans!