Battlestar Galactica

The Ties That Bind

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 18, 2008 on Syfy

• This episode gives a taste of the darkness to come.

In the first episode, they blew up the Pixus. Over 600 souls. And now there is one less soul in the fleet. The episode seemed so surreal in parts, that I almost had trouble believing that they would just kill off Cally. But I believe that this is a taste of things to come. Sure they might find Earth, but who is they? Who will actually survive to see it? This episode shows how all the characters are cracking; breaking into tiny little pieces that can't just be easily put back together. The optimistic moments that could always be found in even the darkest episodes, the little jokes cracked, the tender moments, seem to be decreasing in frequency. Apart from the one scene where Adama is reading to Roslin, the rest of the characters seem to be falling into a downward spiral; being drawn into the maelstrom. Cally's death was beautiful, and Tory's expression as she pushed the button was terrifying. It seems like it might be a race between her and Tyrol to see who goes completely crazy first. Tigh on the other hand, seems remarkably sane. And Adama has to endure the loss of one in his family. Why do I feel that this will be nowhere near the last? That he will be left alone in the end. On the cylon side of things, everything is not going as planned. The centurions are obviously already starting to think, and likely starting to resent being subservient. Maybe Natalie's idea was good in the specific situation called for, but it is most definitely not going to help in the long run. And the stage has been set for the return of D'Anna, so I guess we will see where that leads.