Bear in the Big Blue House

Weekdays 6:30 AM on Disney Channel Premiered Oct 20, 1997 Between Seasons

Bear in the Big Blue House Fan Reviews (36)

• This is wrong. Just plain wrong.

A talking Been there, done that. I want the the 30 minutes i wasted watching this POS back. Shows like this are mainly to attract the viewers but instead, this is making kids just say "Mom WTF is this?". A talking moon is just as bad. Before the show ends, he goes to the top of the house & talks to the ******' moon. What a retard. Still, i want back those 30 minutes i wasted.
  • to many toddler shows

i admit i used to watch this show when i was 5.
    then i real ized that this show can put kids in the lonnie home for insanes. really if some one caught kids talking to a moon and talking to animals that are vicious like real bears at the zoo. i would'nt watch this if i were you.
  • It drove me insane

Okay. My classes tend to end early and when gas prices went up my school decided to end Fri classes, so I tend to be at home alot when there's nothing but "baby" kids shows on. This one drove me crazy. How people could tolerate this show I have no idea. When I saw him on the Wayne Brady show I wanted to scream. I could not stand that weird looking bear....
  • A show that teaches kids life lessons, I think.

The only reason I gave this show a ratong of 5 is this, the show may be stupid, and a little creepy, but it deos teach kids something. It is better than some of the shows on tv and Im proud to say, that when i was alittle kid( about 1, when i didn't know what good tevevision was) i watyched this show. Granted it did scary me a little, I mean, how could a talking moon not. But now, I know what is good or not and this show is definatly not. It about a bear(duh) and a bunch of other puppet things that live in a, bet you can guesse it, a big blue house. And at the end of every episode, the bear sings with the moon. One of the characters is a shadow. How does a smart person play with a shadow, I don't know. But then again, who said the bear was smart. Just look at his name, Bear. Real creative.That is my review. Thabks for reading it.
  • Freaky.

The entire concept was kind of freaky. I never really liked the Disney Channel back in the day, and this one was by far their worst show. Really annoying.
  • I hate Bear in the Big Blue House!!

I can not stand this show. Why? It's just like Baboon from I am Weasel! Horrible uncreative stories, terrible character names ("Bear?" Bland as anything!) and worst of all - annoying songs. An embodiment of what I hate about TV. I can't believe it has taken me this long to review it. I hate Bear in the Big Blue House!
  • It suprises me

It really suprises me how does has a bigger rating than fanboy and chum chum when i was younger this show gave me nightmares
  • use to like it when i was young... now it just scares me.

• Bear is a great show for the kids (and possibly parents)

Yeah, I admit, I still watch Bear on occasion. Its just a really cute show. It's a Jim Henson show, which gives me more reason to watch it. Bear is a great show that is perfect for children. Its got really cute characters and great music. Bear is just a great, loveable character. Ok, I wouldn't actually go out and buy the merchandise, but I still enjoy the fun of Bear in the Big Blue House. It's a great fun show for kids to interact along with (by interaction I mean Bear complimenting your smell, and facing the camera and talking to the veiwers). So, I give this show thumbs up!
  • I like Bear in the big blue house. I saw him down in Disneyland. He's think you smell good. I wonder when you goto his house. Does he give you a bear hug? He have a mouse is his house. He's small

There are some of Bear the big blue house on DVD.

You also meet him on Disney web site.

You can play games, draw, wight things, read book, etc.

Get spacesaver. Wallpaper.

Get color books.

Read books.

Get your kids plush toys at Disney Store.

You collet teddy bears.

Get your own Bear from Disney Store. Ok.
  • Not Sesame Street but warm, engaging and good for preschool kids

Watching it as at 17 I must admit that it is a good product that has the strengths of the genre but has none of the major weaknesses that you would associate with something like Barney. Bear is actually quite a warm character and he has a bit of personality behind him rather than just churning out phrases and corny clichés. The fact that the other characters are pretty good also helps as, although they are cute of course, they are not so sickly that I ever feared becoming diabetic from just watching it. It has a nice warm feel to it and Bear approaches the audience like a kindly Uncle rather than doing patronising baby talk. It isn't quite Sesame Street but it has more of that feel than the dreaded dinosaur. The characters all look good and are well delivered (although Shadow as an idea is just plain creepy if you ask me) and the voice work matches it all well.

Overall this is an enjoyable show for pre-school kids that can be watched by adults without getting annoying in the way that some others do. Like I said, not Sesame Street but effective nonetheless.
  • My son's show. He loved watching it.

My three year old son and I loved watching this in the mornings on Disney. Bear and the whole gang was a great show to wake up to.

Big friendly Bear inviting you into his big blue house to spend time with Tutter, Otto, Treelo, Ojo, Ursa and Ray. Stories or Nursery Rhymes were brought to life by Shadow and little lessons learnt throughout the episode were fun and exciting, albeit for a very young audience. At the end of every episode Bear and Luna sang the goodbye song. Goodbye, goodbye good friends goodbye. The moon, the bear and the big, blue house will see you very soon I know.

It will be missed.
  • My favorite show!

Well, as you can tell from my username (sweetojo), my banner, and my avater, which is a picture of Ojo, this is my favorite show. I love all the characters in it, and I love what you can learn from watching this show. You can learn a lot about friendship, teamwork, cooperation, creativity, and being healthy. You also learn to just be yourself. I think these are very important life lessons, and watching this show can really help you. It's also just a fun show to watch as well. The great music, the comedy, and all the cute, adorable characters. This is a cute show.
  • Bear is the best show on TV! Why can't they show reruns during the day when most kids are awake! My 1st daughter loved that show, now my 9 month old doesn't get to watch it! we are so sad!! Please bring reruns back!!

most kids aren't up at 5:30 AM!! Can they please show it during the day! My first daughter would dance to the show. she loved the characters. she had Bear for her 1st b'day theme!! Now, my 9 month old likes the stuffed animals and the tapes, but she doesn't get to watch it unless i wanted to wake her up at 5:30!! Whe are shows like Doodlebobs and Koala Brothers on all the time and what is up with the daniel cook thing, we turn it off and onto Nick Jr. Why can't Bear be in the lineup again. That show taught values, handled important situations and had characters that were nice to each other!! I tried everything to find out how to write these people. hopefully they will bring it back... The best children's cartoon!!
  • Okay... anywhere other than eBay I could get the plush?

Okay, seriously speaking. Though I've only watched the second half of a special, the storyline in the episode has pretty much struck me as pivotal and revolutionary. Few christmas specials I know of would dare touch on other relegions' holidays, let alone talk on the subjects of homeless folks (the only other that I can think of at the top of my head at the moment would be "Arthur's Perfect Christmas", which is pretty much targeted at older audiences). Bear clearly took the plunge, and should clearly be rewarded. It highlights about tradition, and the sub-story involving Jack, a homeless dog, was pretty touching.

The songs and singing are okay. Nothing grating and some of the songs are actually really good. The characters themselves are pretty cute, and behaves and speak realistically (compare to the wierd fake-ish accents Dora the Explorer speaks in). I like shows that has it's characters behave and speak realistically. Granted, some people are freaked out by the fact that Bear directly interacts with the viewers as if they're part of the gang, but those who're used to the likes of Blues Clues will find themselves pretty much at home with it.

I pretty much find it disappointing that there has not been any new episodes of "Bear" since 2003. Granted, Disney has brought back Bear by dropping him in a Playhouse Disney segment called "Breakfast with Bear", but I pretty much find that unjustified. Not only does that segment not airs outside the US, but they've dropped and forgone the rest of his friends. Bear is influental, and he desrves the same level of recognition awarded to the late Mr. Rogers. He also deserves a new season of the show.

Okay, now that I'm done with this, anyone care to point me in the direction of a Bear plush?
  • Before I had my daughter, I use to think Bear was rubbish.. but now I think its fab!

My daughter absolutely loves this show - out of quite a few shows playhouse disney air, and until I had her I thought it was/looked rubbish (mind you I was a bit old to 'appreciate' what Bear was doing at the time) - however now I think its one of the best shows ever written for kids tv! I think also disney (in the UK) have done good with editing so us in the UK get to see UK spellings/UK kids talking about stuff. It's just a shame its been cancelled for a while now... All I see now is repeats, but I do not mind.. I love it!
  • LOL I like this show LOL

This show is a GREAT show. I used to watch it when I was younger (like 3 years younger from 2005) and my favorite was the little blue mouse, Tutter. I liked him because I always LOVED small animals like Hamsters, gerbils, mice, etc. My brother also used to watch it and his favorite was Treelo. This is a VERY good show to motivate you to like the way you smell. LOL! He does REALLY like to smell people! I wonder why!
  • What can I say? It's a good show for kids

It's an ok show which I loved a few years ago. It's about a Bear living in a house with all his friends, yeah it sounds cheesy but it is great for kids to watch. It teaches things to them and helps them overcome things as well, so there is something good about the kids shows after all. To entertain children. At least it's educational!
  • Aw, isn't Treelo adorable? They really should air this in Denmark again. Not that you care.

Oh, when I was younger, 5-6 years ago, during my summer vacation, I used to watch this every day, and I was pretty much obsessed with Treelo, that adorable lemur. Actually, I used to draw him together with Dee Dee from Dexter's Laboratory, like they were friends.
    Anyway, it's kind of a childish show, but I guess that's just about what you can expect from a childrens show.
    And that Shadow's stories are kind of, um, dull.
    And I don't like Ojo either, 'cause in one episode, in which I believe Treelo befriended a tomato, I recall Ojo being a bit mean to Treelo. A big no no. Be nice to Treelo. He's so adorable! I like Tutter too, and Pip and Pop. The Bear, well, he's okay too. The Moon is, also, kind of boring in my opinion.

Anyway, that's just a review no one will read.
  • perfect for duvet days...

Okay. So I'm not the target audience, but as soon as I hear Bear welcome me to his Big Blue house with that cheery song I'm hooked. It's like that warm tummy tickle you got as a child eating buttered toast watching Children's hour when you got home from school.
    Unlike the tiresome purple Barney singing shows this has class, humour and great tunes. I like it when Bear sniffs the air and tells us we smell good- you don't get that with so-called adult shows.
    I think that the makers are the Jim Henson workshop and this shines through. They really know how to bring these characters to life and you forget that there are hands in puppets and men in bear suits.
  • I vaguely remember this show, but I do remember that I loved it.

Bear in the Big Blue House was such a classic. All the characters were so funny and loveable. Bear and Luna are the 2 that stick out in my mind. I also remember 2 little otter brothers (were they otters? :P) and a little mouse. It was so fun and educational at the same time, and that's what all little kid shows need to be. That's what made it so successful. And I loved all the songs they would sing. (From what I remember, they sang at least 3 an episode.) Bear in the Big Blue House was one of my childhood favorites.
  • Bring back the humanity

I agree with the user "bringbearback". Bring back the show. My childhood went straight down the void after the episodes ended. My spirit has to be lighten up again by this show. Please.
  • Best Playhouse Disney Show.

Bear In The Big Blue House is easily one of the greatest educational shows to show a child in my opinion. It's fun, and quirky while teaching kids the ups and downs of everyday life. Bear is the ideal main character for a kids show. He is kind, easy-going, and fun shows characters now-a-day should take a lesson from the Big Bear. And the music and puppeteering just are perfect. Bear is one of the best educational productions to come out of a channel.
  • Bring Bear In The Big Blue House, BACK PLEASE!!

I loved this show! I've seen all of the episodes since I was a little baby, and now since I'm 13 it is no longer on tv. I feel like my whole childhood has been washed away by a hurricane. All I ask for someone to do is just allow the shows that have already been aired back on to tv. Will someone please put Bear In The Big Blue House back on the air again, and you don't have to make new ones just rerun the old ones, please.
  • Wonderful, beautiful show

I absolutely loved this show for my children. It played at just the right time in the morning when my eldest daughter was due to go for her morning nap. We would watch the last bit together and I would sing along with the goodbye song which was the signal for her nap. I loved, loved, loved those few moments together and it will remain one of my fondest memories. I also adored Shadow's lullaby and recently acquired it after searching for it for years (my daughter is 10 now). I loved Bear (and I loved his house!) and the simple wholesome storylines, probably more than my kids did!
  • "Bear in The Big Blue House" is a wonderful show for kids... Disney needs to stop with the Timon & Pumbaa garbage and bring back the really good stuff like "Bear in the Big Blue House".

"Bear in the Big Blue House" is a wonderful, calm & still exciting show for young children. What a wonderful way for klittle kids to learn about the world around them. With bright colors that don't bleed your eyes, gentle voices and simple games & songs, "Bear in the Big Blue House" was a dream come true for a television Mom like myself. No need to feel guilty letting your kids watch tv when the programming is ideal like "Bear" was. When Disney pulled it, I almost cancelled my Disney Channel subscription in despair. I want them to bring it back before my youngest child is too old to enjoy it. Then again, I'd watch it every day, every hour it was on if it was on today and I'm 38! Please, Disney... Bring back "Bear"!
  • I still watch this, and I'm almost 19!

I've been watching this show since I was eleven years old. I know it's weird for someone my age, but I don't really give two craps. This show inspired me.
    Before I started watching this show, I was lonely. I had friends, but I never knew how to communicate around them. I was too shy, too unsure, and I never really realized how beautiful friendships are.
    One specific character taught me these things. Besides Bear, Ojo also helped me. When I first started watching the show, Ojo was the first to wake me up and make me smell the coffee. For one thing, she's a girl, like me. For another, she's so kind and sweet. Even though she sometimes gets pissed off at her friends, she doesn't mean to hurt them. A part of growing up is learning how to communicate with the people you love. But she's so sweet and loving. You can really tell this in some of the mose heart-warming episodes like "Friends For Life," "Friends At Play," and "Love Is All You Need." She and her friends have situations, but they always get solved with Bear's help and some very comforting words from Ojo.
    I know - I know! It's weird for an 18-year-old to watch this, but if there're people out there that want to make fun of me for it, they can go ahead and poke! I just hope they know what they're getting themselves into. They don't listen to the message of Bear in the Big Blue House, so they'll end up flipping burgers at McDonald's. Then they'll get fired for burning the burgers.

I love Bear in the Big Blue House!!!
  • Good

• bring this great child learning show

i wake up in the morning and every time i watch this show. i felt like disney was the best channel. when it was almost got cancel i turn on the tv and watch this show last year and i remember how disney channel was in 1997 or 1990 to 1999. i call disney channel great tv best tv in the 90's. i miss this show i get them on dvd but it does not feel the same thing when i was kid. this is better then barney show this show has no human got big bear in big blue with his little bear friend and others. i was search the tv to record this show on tv and it was no on tv. i got mad they took this great learning channel. yeah playhouse disney and disney channel back in time was great good shows and good times. now this year is so hard to watch disney channel now they add real people acting weird. bring the old times back disney.
  • Nobody knows that I have this on DVD...

Lol. I know what you're thinking, I'm crazy. But it's true, at twelve years old, I still love Bear In The Big Blue House, and I am proud of it!!! 0_o It is an educational show for little kids, so I don't see why people wouldn't give it at least a five. Pip and Pop are so cute, I can't seem to detatch my eyes from the screen when they appear. This is a show that I may always love, no matter how old I am, this I don't know. But how dare they take it off Playhouse Disney, that was the only decent toddler's show; let's not discuss the Wiggles. :'( I miss this show; but I guess my childhood will have to end sometime. *sigh*
< 1 2