Beast Machines Forums

FOX (ended 2000)

Where did Beast Machines go wrong?

RaizenYusuke

[21]Jan 13, 2007
    • level: 28
    kakashirulz wrote:
    Not me. I think beast wars was much better. the people in that were much more true to themselves then in beast machines. Rattrap was more cocky less shifty. Cheetor played the part of a teenager just old enough to think for himself. Not a brat. ect. ect.
    Rattrap had the same personality he had in Beast Wars though.The only differences was that since he had no weapons he couldn't really dish out punishment like he could back in the Beast Wars.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vegnegun

[22]Jan 14, 2007
    • level: 11
    Beast Machines went wrong? I loved this show, and still do. Okay, I admit, I didn't, and still don't, like the new designs for the Maximals as much as I did in beast wars, but you can't judge a book by its covere eh? Anyway, I don't think Beast Machines went wrong at any point, with the exception of the maximal forms... 

PrimeGod

[23]Jan 20, 2007
    • level: 4
    kakashirulz wrote:
    Not me. I think beast wars was much better. the people in that were much more true to themselves then in beast machines. Rattrap was more cocky less shifty. Cheetor played the part of a teenager just old enough to think for himself. Not a brat. ect. ect.
    Well in that situation, it was only normal for characters to become darker.

Batman>marvel

ISpeakTheTruth

[24]Jan 21, 2007
    • level: 33

PrimeGod wrote:
    kakashirulz wrote:
    Well in that situation, it was only normal for characters to become darker. Batman>marvel

Also how long did you want Cheetor to be a teenager? He had to grow up eventually and this series did it very well.

LLXC

[25]Mar 10, 2007
    • level: 5

Add...

Optimus went psycho...blaming himself for losing the Beast Wars and allowing Megatron to do what he did to Cybertron.

Lack of weapons for the maximals.

Even less characters than Beast Wars.

A_US_Marine

[26]Mar 16, 2007
    • level: 1
    In Beast Wars Optimus had serveral chances to defeat Megatron, especially after he became Optimal Optimus. But he didn't. HE would always cower back to his base, so in a way he did loose the beast wars. I loved Beast Machines. The animation was great. The charater models where wierd but no problem. The best thing and defining part of Beast Machines over Beast Wars was that B. Machines acutally had a story line and not just a bunch of dump, pointless filler episodes. Nearly the entire series of Beast Wars using the same old 1980's story design. Good guys beat up bad guys, bad guys retreat shouting they will get their revenge next time. I understand fillers keep the show going, but beast wars kinda took it to the extreme. The Vok's inclusion in Beast Wars made very little sense. At the end their purpose was a little clear. Beast Machines had a great story line that always continue from one episode to the next. I loved how it wasn't just one robot being blown up all the time (waspinator) and I love the humor Megatron's generals had. Jetstorm was exceptionally funny. I was kinda sad to see him go. Then their was the plot twist of Rinox becoming evil. That was exceptional. Evil Rinox was an excellent actor. All of the actors this time were great. WHAT I LIKED MOST OF ALL ABOUT BEAST MACHINES. No one was wimpy or a coward like in Beast Wars. Thrust was the least powerful of the group, but he made up for it in his dedication and determination. Not too mention he had a cool bad guy voice. Beast Wars was great when I watched as a kid, but Beast Machines is even better with its more adult style design. just my two cents.
    Edited on 03/16/2007 2:26am

Alphrin

[27]Mar 19, 2007
    I don't think Beast Machines ever "went wrong". Sure, there were some things I would change, but it still provides a spectacular ending to the story started in Beast Wars, and I personally love the directions they went with each of the characters.  

interstella

[28]May 19, 2007
    • level: 5
    I definitely have to disagree... I thought the writing was terrible, the characterization was terrible. I can't see how everyone was alright with how Rattrap acted. He was never a traitor and he hated traitors in Beast Wars, and then in Beast Machines he seriously goes to Megatron because he's all insecure like every other episode. Sorry, man, that's not Rattrap. And I thought Rhinox's "twist" character development was bad too. Plus badly written. Mainly the way everything was written was just awful. I'm sure they could have gotten away with the developments if they had better scripts, like maybe keep the people from Beast Wars. But if they had kept those people then obviously they wouldn't have had a problem with bad characterization. Whatever!

Skyler0

[29]May 29, 2007
    • level: 13

I suppose the only reason I hated Beast Machines was because of the character designs, and for that reason alone, I might have completely underestimated the cartoon's storyline.

Silly me...

jv2k10

[30]Jul 10, 2007

When Beast Machines originally aired I skipped over it. I don't quite remember why I did, it was either because I hated the design or that it aired at the same time as a show on WB that I wanted to watch more. Regardless of this fact the transformers movie made me feel like rewatching beast wars and after I finished watching that excellent series yesterday I decided to move on to Beast Machines hoping that it would be something that I stupidly shrugged off in favor of Pokemon. After watching 5 episodes of it I may force myself to finish it but I'm just not liking it.

It wasn't because of the character models, the darker tone, or the fact that cybertron was organic like so many other people say. For me the reason is the change in the characters I knew from beast wars, the step down in writing, and the change in the way the action took place. In beast wars we had a bunch of shootouts and interesting factions battling each other for territory, resource, and new transformers. Beast Machines is different. Megatron is alone and for some reason that can only be explained with "Well he's crazy now", hates organic life. Optimus has turned into a zen master who manipulates energy, and the maximals focus more on melee than they did before. The action went from military to kung fu flick and Mainfraim can't animate fight scenes to save their lives making the action seem kinda clunky.

Of course what I hate most of all is how the show crapped all over rattrap. He went from an experienced wisecracking 00 agent type to an annoying whinny coward. It doesn't help that his robot mode looks idiotic and for whatever reason they gave him an inability to transform. This wouldn't have bothered me so much if I hadn't watched half of the first season already and he still isn't able to transform. It doesn't help that they brought in some newbie kid and he manages to do it immediately.

Zen master aside Optimus' attitude makes sense, Black arachnia is amnesiac and we didn't get much characterization of her post maximal form, and cheetor's growth was natural. Ratrap was the only one I've seen so far who is badly handled.

Edit: After watching episode 6 I gotta say it isn't so much that the show was bad, it was just not as good as beast wars and too radically different. It would have probably been better if it wasn't a direct sequel to beast wars with the same characters.

Edited on 07/10/2007 1:43pm

An00bIS22

[31]Oct 18, 2008
    • level: 8
    I agree, it was just to radical compared to Beast Wars, it just took a dive into another direction. Im not saying it failed or wasnt good enough(if it was a stand alone show then it would have been great) just that everyone expected a sequel to the Beast Wars's style...
    And no, i dont hate Botanica, i think shes quite unique as a character in the Transformeres universe.

I wish they could make a sequel to the series ( a darn good one) with 2008-2009 GCI characters, it would just rock the daylights out of these crappy series that air right now.

baskok

[32]Jun 4, 2011
    • level: 9

I just got annoyed by the really ugly character design especially that overgrown optimus gorilla with his weird neck and huge hands rattrap wasn't much better . A sort of powerless freak on wheels. The first season with thrust jet storm and tankor was getting really repetitive. All about explosions and chases. Oh and that weird oracle and destiny story line was copied from the movie matrix. Does anyone remember cybertron being organic or having earth like fossils on it? I gotta hand it too the creators i still enjoyed watching this show because know i could finally find out how it all ended.

Edited on 06/04/2011 7:15am