Beast Wars Forums

(ended 1999)

Why did DInobot have to go?

Proximity42

[1]Jun 21, 2006
    • level: 4

Hello,

I am a huge fan of the BW series and my all time fav character was Dinobot. I recently d/l'd the Code of a Hero show and I started asking myself questions.

I was just wondering if there was any real reason why he had to go? It was bad enough him and rhinox weren't in as much fights becuase of the non-transmetal deal, but why did he have to die? When I watched the show I also kept asking myself "Geeze why doesn't Optimus, Ratttrap, and Cheetor just kick it into high gear to get there faster!"

I never really watched much of the Original Transformers because I was too young. I watched the Unicron movie and I cannot wait until the Live action movie on it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Darc0666

[2]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 14
    I agree. Dinobot is one of my favorite characters.

omegadinobot

[3]Jun 28, 2006
    • level: 1

I think he had to go because it was crucial to the season three episode line.

just think if he hadn't gone, the predacons would have lost the battle faster. dinobot wouldn't have attacked blackarachnia during the episode after feral scream or before sometime. she would have not returned and been destroyed silver bolt would have gone on a rampage at whoever gets in his way. gone nuts and probably self-destructed while holding megatron so he couldn't hurt anyone. and without Megatron the other predacons would have gone into dissarray and all been destroyed either by the maximals or by selfdestructing themselves out of pressure. sorry just one possibility.

airraptorxrc

[4]Jun 29, 2006
    • level: 28
    omegadinobot wrote:

I think he had to go because it was crucial to the season three episode line.

You're probably right about the character's death being crucial to the plot; however, I think it had to do more with the Agenda Trilogy than the third season. Think about it; given Dinobot's personality, do think that:

1) Blackarachnia would have escaped to reach the Ark?
    2) Would have allowed Silverbolt to beat on him without a response? I have no doubt in my mind that it would have been Dinobot, not Cheetor, who would have sent after BA, and he wouldn't have stopped by Silverbolt's quarters on the way.
    3) Would he have allowed Ravage to live? Or Megatron for that matter?

There are probably are a few other events in "The Agenda" that I have missed that would have been different if Dinobot had been allowed to live.

Clockerevac12

[5]Jul 2, 2006
    • level: 10

It was Important for him to die so the Future wouldn't be Changed and The Bots would of Lost the war and The Preds would rule But Still their Presence will live On

R.I.P Dinobot 1996-1998 He loved Bashing and Thrashing Preds

TheSwordDancer

[6]Jul 9, 2006
    • level: 6

I do believe for the shock factor Dinobot had to die.  With him being one of my fav characters, I was currently shocked.

But, let’s be honest, we all knew he could never go back to Cybertron with the others, he was a warrior and a Pred who wouldn’t have wanted to die any other way.

As for plot line, if the episode Dark Glass: had been made, I believe his second death in Nemesis part 2 would have had a way bigger impact too.

Darth-Revan45

[7]Jul 18, 2006
    • level: 20
    TheSwordDancer wrote:

I do believe for the shock factor Dinobot had to die.  With him being one of my fav characters, I was currently shocked.

But, let’s be honest, we all knew he could never go back to Cybertron with the others, he was a warrior and a Pred who wouldn’t have wanted to die any other way.

As for plot line, if the episode Dark Glass: had been made, I believe his second death in Nemesis part 2 would have had a way bigger impact too.

Amen, But I think Dinobot could of just smashed the disk with his hammer instead of killing himself, but it was the best episode of any transformers cartoon. Watching Dinobot beat the entire Pred squaron and saving the human race but sacrificing himself in the process. and if they found him right after the disc was destroyed why couldnt he have waited. lot of questions. Mainframe should make that one eppisode for us.

DarkPaladin1000

[8]Oct 8, 2006
    Man, I just watched that episode and I almost cried when Dinobot died and the other Maximals were standing around him.

Clockerevac12

[9]Oct 14, 2006
    Dinobot was going to Be In Transtech

kwydjebo

[10]Oct 27, 2006
    From a fan point of view, it does suck that a very pivotal character like Dinobot gets his spark snuffed out, but it does add a certain sense of jeopardy to things.
    For the most part, its been second string characters, or third that have died in the series, Air Razor, Tigertron, Scorpinox, Terrasaur. Meanwhile more important ones, Optimus Primal, Tarantulus, have "died" and come back.

This is typical for most shows, however killing off a major character (SPOILER You will see Dinobot, sorta, again in Season 3 SPOILER END), and in a significant manner (Take that Bendis) does create an atmosphere for the show....who's next? Cheetor, Rattrap, Black Aracnia?

Of course there is also the Waspinator, and Inferno Characters who are constantly being destroyed ...usually in some slapstick manner, and put back together

airraptorxrc

[11]Oct 30, 2006
    Clockerevac12 wrote:
    Dinobot was going to Be In Transtech
    Transtech was a "prequel" series, one that was intended to take place before Beast Wars. But because Beast Machines was a commercial failure, it was cancelled in favor of the filler RiD series.

Proximity42

[12]Nov 28, 2006
    • level: 4

Yea I cried a bit too man. Partly because he had sucha cool storyline about him. Every other person just seemed there for the hell of it but he had substance and it felt genuine with him. It still pisses me off when I watch the show I kept thinking "Damnit man just go into stasis lock you've done all you can" lol

Aldrius

[13]Dec 7, 2006
    His character had come full circle. He became the hero he had always intended to be... there was nothing more they could really do with him, and he was too cool to become a side-character.

RaizenYusuke

[14]Dec 8, 2006

Dinobot would have been interesting to show what his life would be like back on Cybertron.After spending so much time with the Maximals he has adopted some of their ideals.He spared Quickstrike's life when in season 1 he would have finished him.We never really grasped what he or who he was.He only went to the Maximals because he thought Megatron messed up.He only stayed because he felt Megatron's plan was insane.

Were his ideals still that of a Predacon or Maximal.Dinobot can easily have gotten his sentence reduced since he helped Optimus'crew on Earth and help preserve history.The Predacons could have seen him of doing what was necessary to stop the insane Megatron.He could have still been able to stay a Predacon.My question is what would Dinobolt have done if he had returned to Cybertron gone Predacon or stayed Maximal?

Aldrius

[15]Dec 13, 2006
    Predacon. The bulk of the predacons were at peace with the Maximals (or seemingly so).

Alphrin

[16]Mar 19, 2007

Dinobot had to die for various reasons. First, it was pivotal to the plot. Destroying the golden disc drastically altered the course of events that occured afterwards, as did Dinobot's absence. Second, it showed the writers weren't playing around, and that things were getting serious. The story was continually getting darker and darker, and if you don't have characters die off then no one will take it seriously and it'll just look like a joke (I.E., like in many other American cartoons that never kill anyone off). Finally, it added to the drama of the show. It was shocking and unexpected, and as a result Dinobot's death is one of the things that makes Beast Wars stand out from nearly any other American cartoon (Gargoyles and the DCAU are the only other cartoons that are on the same level, really).

So, yes, it was sad that he died, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  

Scorporsaur

[17]Aug 11, 2007
    Well y did scorponok and terrorsaur have 2 die? they would hav looked ace transmetal

-JRL-

[18]Sep 24, 2007
    • level: 9
    I thought it was a great ending. It would've been too "let's keep it happy for the kids" if he had survived. So with him dying it established him as a hero with honor.

primallynx

[19]Nov 22, 2007
    • level: 14
    This is one of the greatest episodes in all of Transformers.

Black70

[20]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 11
    It's not fair for Dinobot to go.