Beat the Clock (1950)

CBS (ended 1958)

Beat the Clock (1950) Fan Reviews (3)

• What a workhorse this little show was. Bud, Beverly, Roxanne... All were working their tails off for the entire 30 minutes every week. I guess somebody had to give away those lovely B&W televisions with the exclusive "Halo Lighting."

Wow... If today's game show hosts and support staff worked as hard as Bud Collyer and his staff worked some 50 years ago, with all the high tech equipment we now possess, these game shows would inadvertently solve war, world hunger, and domestic abuse while spinning out their big winners.

The key.... Hard Work. While John Charles Daly was TV's smartest game show host over at What's My Line? Mr. Collyer was far and away the fastest and hardest worker, never missing a beat. Even when somethng did go wrong, Bud made it perfect. It just amazes to watch the crew do their thing so flawlessly, and then to realize that this game show was so popular, that Bud would happily provide measurements for viewers at home to build their own props to practice, in case they wound up on the show.

And being it was the fifties, innocence was the order of the day, even though some stunts required what could not get by today's television punmeisters without a lewd comment. Once a young married lady had to maneuver herself across 15 chairs without her feet touching the floor. To assist her, Mr. Collyer brought in the "seat lifters," 15 men from every field of the military. Even BUd made what might today be considered "lewd" stating that he didn't the seat lifters were going to mind the stunt (as opposed to the young lady's husband waiting on the sideline.) She completed the stunt with ease.. No one-gun salutes were detected. (Pardon my pun)

Of course if you got hit with whipped cream, you got your pic taken with a new camera, which you kept and were told to remember that their "special moment" was first on the roll of film. (I do wonder how many pictures were accidentally lost by those who forgot.)

None the less, this show was fun... as is. You could not throw the bells and whistles of today's technology into this and make it better. It was a delight to watch, especially when parents brought young children. They were so polite, well-dressed, and true little ladies and gentlemen, and Mr. COllyer in the midst of his breakneck pace was so kind to them and made them feel special. This was television I would gladly take over high-def war coverage 24 hours a day.

Thank you Bud... A true innovator of the game show.