Beauty and the Beast Forums

Monday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

This show's mythology is easily its weakest aspect.

harpier

[1]Nov 25, 2012
    • level: 9

I have no idea why I even started watching this show. CW shows rarely appeal to me, with the notable exception of Wednesday's Arrow and Supernatural block, and though having casually watched fewer than thirty total episodes of Smallville, Kristin Kreuk never impressed. But I watched anyway, and strangely enough I've found the show oddly watchable in spite of its (not unjustified) scathing reviews and extremely hostile critical reception. Kreuk is charming and likable, and her relationships with her family and her co-workers--especially her friendship with partner Tess (Nina Lisandrello) and flirtation with police pathologist/CSI-stand-in/narrative convenience Evan (Max Brown)--are some of the show's easiest and least contrived. Despite the absurdity of his predicament and one of television's worst haircuts (though credible, since he must presumably cut it himself), Jay Ryan brings some much needed humanity to the "beast" Vincent Keller.

The mythology, however, of a specially recruited GI into a genetics manipulation program to create super-soldiers is ludicrous, unimaginative, and entirely uninteresting. I really don't care about the history of Keller's narratively convenient condition, and implying a vast military conspiracy cover-up doesn't whet my appetite for it at all. This aspect needs some serious tightening up in order to capitalize on the show's more appealing components.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

caroleann93

[2]Jan 23, 2013
    • level: 3

This show is not the weakest aspect this show is the best and They won there first ever People's Choice Award for Favorite New TV Drama. And I love this show. So Please please give this show another chance.

Yaspaa

[4]May 10, 2013
    • level: 79
    Barrel scraping stuff. Teenagers need only apply.