Beauty and the Beast Forums

CBS (ended 1990)

Anyone else love Season 3?

malicedoom

[1]Jan 17, 2007
    • level: 10

Every once in a while I bring this subject up to fellow fans to see if anyone else feels the same way.  I love B&B but have always been one of the few that felt the final (shortened) season really was OUTSTANDING.  I realize the writers had their backs up against the wall with Hamilton leaving the cast, but thought what they came up with was very strong and pulled me in - my interest was at it's peak for B&B in season 3.  It's such a shame it wasn't given more of a chance to succeed (and it truly wasn't).

Anyone else?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

joshjr

[2]Jan 24, 2007
    • level: 12
    I watched this back in the day it originally aired but diod not watch with any consistancy so I don't know how it ended or anything like that.  If they release all seasons of it then I will watch them though.

Donna48

[3]Feb 25, 2007

I'm sorry, but I didn't care for the third season. I know it caused quite an uproar in the fandom and I certainly am not trying to stir things up here, but I just thought Father and Vincent were written out of character in so many episodes. I know they were trying to reach a different audience, but to me, it wasn't the show that I loved anymore. I'm glad that you liked it though. I know the third season did have fans, but sadly I have to admit that I was not one of them.

fotofxmom

[4]Feb 25, 2007
    • level: 5
    I vaguely remember the 3 season. I missed several episodes due to classes and back then too poor for a VCR. Recently I did some research when I found out the season 1 was coming out on DVD. I have since bought and watched season 1 DVDs. I admit Vincent has stirred my heart again. But after hearing the doom to season 3 I hate to ruin a good thing with a bad ending.

Fantasea

[5]Apr 14, 2007
    • level: 4

You are not alone. I have always felt that season 3 was BATB's shining hour. Hamilton may have left everyone in the lurch, but everyone else stepped up to the plate and delivered bigtime!! The finest acting I have ever seen in any film or TV show, and it still stands today. Everyone in the cast stepped up their game. I thought they showed amazing grace under amazing pressure in season three. If anyone avoided seeing season three you missed a lot. After all, it was LH who walked out on all of them. Perlman, Dotrice, Acovone, Anderson, the entire cast, deserved emmy's for the job they did in season three.

Fantasea

Donna48

[6]Apr 16, 2007
    Fantasea wrote:
    You are not alone. I have always felt that season 3 was BATB's shining hour. Hamilton may have left everyone in the lurch, but everyone else stepped up to the plate and delivered bigtime!! The finest acting I have ever seen in any film or TV show, and it still stands today. Everyone in the cast stepped up their game. I thought they showed amazing grace under amazing pressure in season three. If anyone avoided seeing season three you missed a lot. After all, it was LH who walked out on all of them. Perlman, Dotrice, Acovone, Anderson, the entire cast, deserved emmy's for the job they did in season three.

Fantasea

* My post contains spoilers so please don't read it if you haven't seen the series yet.

Apparently if memory serves me correctly, Linda Hamilton left because she was in the middle of a divorce, pregnant and having personal problems. So leaving the show was something she had to do for her own well being. As for the third season storylines, the fact that Father left the tunnels, knowing that Catherine was dead, Jacob was kidnapped and Vincent wasn't dealing with it at all, is so out of character it was almost laughable to me. I'm not trying to start anything here, I'm just stating my opinion. Also Father, who devoted his whole life to make a place of safety for people in the world below, to suddenly want to leave in the midst of so much tragedy for a woman, is just in my opinion, something the character that I came to know wouldn't do? Not to mention Snow, who came into the tunnels with the intent of killing everyone who got in his way. As for the Jo Anderson character, she touched Vincent more in the first few episodes than Catherine did in the first two years of the show. Don't get me wrong, the actress was very good in the role, I liked her. She was very interesting. However, I was not a fan of the changes that were made to the other characters who were on the show from the very beginning. The show became full of violence and I really didn't like that they (the writers) made Vincent a sort of killing machine. It made the show unwatchable to me. It was obvious to me that the writers were trying to reach a target audience of male views between the ages of 18-30. Again, I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just giving my opinion.  I'm glad you thought the third season was good though. Different opinions are what makes the world go round, and keeps the discussion flowing.  

Edited on 04/17/2007 6:07pm

koberfan

[7]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 28
    I watched season 3 and thought it was great! The cast really came through, even with Hamilton leaving!

donnii79

[8]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    I LOVED season 3! In fact I was very bummed when I found out that it was coming to such an abrupt end! I liked the ongoing story, and how all the pieces were made to fit together! I think it was a very brave change to the overall format of the show, but I enjoyed it immensely. I think that the series took a big chance in doing so, especially after such a drastic cast change with Linda Hamilton leaving the show. I think it also tied very nicely in with the challenge that Vincent had been dealing with at the end of season two, particularly withte conflict within between being a violent creature, and yet so loving. Sure, there were out of character moments for most of the main cast. But, in reality, after such a devastating loss as the one felt by the characters after Catherine died, wouldn't most have moments such as those. I think the third season really highlighted what an impact catherine had, and showed how her love had changed everybody. It would have been interesting to see the story continue!

MrDouglas

[9]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 5

Count me in among the season 3 fans; thought most others were as well; as a matter of fact I was genuienly surprised when I first came to the internet and discovered that there were some people out there who actually hated it

Anyway, what I loved about season 3 was the fact that we were introduced to a much more pro-active character like Diana Bennett, someone who was actually her own person and didn't just sit in her apartment every evening waiting for Vincent to show up on her balcony. Catherine Chandler was more like the eternal "damsel in distress", always getting kidnapped and such, then being rescued by Vincent (who usually came tearing through a brick wall or similar) at the end of every episode

Edited on 07/15/2007 8:21am

missraye

[10]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 18
    I'm one of the ones that did NOT like Season three... to me the magic had literally bled out of the show... the once in a lifetime of Catherine and Vincent seemed so easily replaced. It was very hard for me to 'see' that and not be turned off.

malicedoom

[11]Jul 16, 2007
    • level: 10
    I could not agree more about the "much more pro-active character Diana Bennett".

Granted, I of course loved Linda Hamilton's Catherine and it was the only reason the show had the magic it did, but I truly appreciated the 'shift' they took with Diana and the fact her character was stronger in so many ways.

Donna48

[12]Aug 3, 2007

missraye wrote:
    I'm one of the ones that did NOT like Season three... to me the magic had literally bled out of the show... the once in a lifetime of Catherine and Vincent seemed so easily replaced. It was very hard for me to 'see' that and not be turned off.

I'm with you missraye. As much as I liked the Diana character, I didn't like the direction the show took after Linda left. I watched the show for the romance and once Catherine was gone, in my opinion, so was the magic.

Edited on 08/03/2007 9:47am

JeanPepus

[13]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 6
    Instead of making a such set of episodes that looked like simply filling,they should have ceased the serie after the second season.Or even,they could have made an effort to find out an other actress to replace Linda Hamilton as Catherine Chandler.No one can make me think that was impossible to get another beautiful actress to incarnate the "Beauty" of that show.For me,the third season was simply either a mistake or a shame.Because,it was completely unconnected with what the show had been in both first seasons.

oreopicture

[14]Oct 24, 2007
    • level: 2

I agree with what Donna48 said above. I was really disappointed in the 3rd season. It wasn't really bad, but it wasn't the same show at all. *sigh*

It would have been nice if the show could have been put on hold and then resumed when/if Linda Hamilton could come back, but of coursethat would be too risky and expensive for the studios/network. Linda Hamilton was great in Terminator 2, but she got so muscular that it would be awkward to have her return to the Catherine role.

You know who else could have played Catherine? Linda's twin sister.As I understand it, she doesn't act, but she did appear for a few seconds in Terminator 2 as the T1000 impersonating Sarah. I love that about James Cameron. Instead of using special effects to createthe doppelgangers in T2 (like the jail guard at the vending machine), he hired twins. He may spend 100's of millions of dollars on his films, but he doesn't waste a penny of it.

sweetgirl06

[15]Dec 27, 2007
    • level: 1
    i am new here . do u know any good messager board? do u know any Beauty and the Beast the t.v show

havoc_cat

[16]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 3
    Here's a link to a page on the Winterfest site that lists a number of different email groups as well as website and links to the 2008 convention sites.

http://www.beautyandthebeast-tv.com/winterfest/fandom/findfandom.html

Other than this forum the only one I know of that see's much activity is the one at imdb.com. Any of the Yahoo email groups can essentially be a message board if you want it to though. Join the group, indicate you don't want to get any emails and then read the posts on the website.

Velsbaby

[17]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 1

I never did get to see the end of the series. I plan on renting the season 3 very soon. I do remember how upsetting the series became after Catherine died. Vincent was not the same, nothing was the same. The magic was gone. I hope the end of the show is not as upsetting. I will be watching.

I wish they had never ended the show. I am still looking for a man with Vincent's inner qualities. I think that will only be found on screen. They had a perfect love. Awesome!

lacphanbbfan

[18]Feb 17, 2008
    I am rather new to these message forums but I just purchased all three seasons of Beauty and the Beast and wondered if there were still any fans out there. I watched it when it went on the air twenty years ago and has brought back quite a few memories. I notice there are different reactions to the third season. I must admit it definitely left all of the fans of the show heartbroken to see Vincents love taken away. At the time they were going to cancel the show after the second season. However, cbs producers were getting petitions and letters from fans to bring the show back. I will never forget when Ron Perlman was a guest on David Letterman show to announce that the series would be coming back. When he failed to mention anything about Linda, and that they were going to add some new characters to the show, I knew the show would take a different route. Season three is very powerful it tells us that nothing lasts forever. Due to the fact that this was a decision that had been made late in the season(usually it starts in September) the show did not start until December. I was very glad to see this on DVD because I actually had not watched the last two episodes, they did not air them until six months later. Like a lot of fans of the show I hope that maybe a movie could be considered in the future. Ron Perlman has said he would consider. I am not going to say that season three would have been my choice to end the series. If love and loss good and eveil is what you are looking for you will find it.

CatherineV

[19]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 3
    Season three just came out on DVD this month I believe. I liked it, but not as much as Season's One and Two for obvious reasons, no Catherine. I think it was done well, but it was a disappointment to those who loved Catherine and Vincent.

lacphanbbfan

[20]Feb 19, 2008
    I agree, there could never be another Vincent and Catherine. However they stayed true to Linda's character through out the season. Even though Vincent was in search of his son the pain over Catherine's loss was always there. Unlike some shows who kill a character and the name is seldom mentioned again. Would anyone agree?