Beauty and the Beast Forums

CBS (ended 1990)

Anyone else love Season 3?

vetivera24

[21]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 3

I was and still am a big fan of the show. I could listen to Vincent talk for hours. I love the relationship aspect of the show but Vincent was a powerful force representing the ideal of love. I would have given Ron Perlman an Oscar for his role. Recently I have had a chance to review the three seasons. What a treat! I never thought I could watch season three again but somehow I could and I think it is because they stayed true to the character of Catherine. I did not like the killing but I believe that in time Vincent would have been less violent and more engaged in the raising of his son. How he dealt with Snow showed that he was capable of using cunning rather than force.

I did like Diana in second viewing. I remember her well but it was more like 'how dare she' during the original episodes but 20 years later I am older and wiser and more capable of forgiveness. Linda Hamilton has acknowledged her addictions and bipolar issues. This could have made for a very difficult time on set for her with a pregnancy. She appears with Vincent on Season two DVD and shows herself differently but committed to the show.

Before getting back into this show, I read a short story in which someone fast forwards 20 years. Catherine survived her morphine overdose and was put into a witness protection program to save her life. She finally returns to NYC and somehow is reunited with Vincent and her son. Because I read this first, I think it helped me to enjoy season three feeling that she was out there somewhere. . I would love to see that made in to a movie to give closure to all BATB fans.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lacphanbbfan

[22]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 4

I am definetly older and wiser but there is still that part of me that enjoys a good romance . If it means watching BATB or Phantom of the Opera (another one of my favourites). I realized just how old I'm getting when I saw Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman during the introduction on season two. I really have not seen Linda in a lot of movies other than T1 & T2 and Dantes Peak (although she has been in quite a few). I too have enjoyed the series especially the third season more today than I did 18 years ago . I think a lot of it was disappointment that the show was ending made it sad to watch at the time. One can always hope for a movie. Anyone have any connections to the producers? They brought season three back because of the female fans writing letters and petitions. We can start something new.

vetivera24

[23]Feb 26, 2008
    Yes I would love to see something too. Perhaps we could write to Ron Perlman. He seems such a sport about the show. In the beginning the producers wanted to reduce his looks year by year to make him more human. It would be nice to see a softer gentler Vincent emerge due to the influence of raising his son and of course his abiding love for Catherine and have her return in a manner that is plausible. The witness protection plan seems like a great story line.
    But, the book will be out in July according to the author and maybe that will spawn some action.

lacphanbbfan

[24]Feb 27, 2008

I will have to watch out for this book. I think I read that somewhere in another forum. I cannot remember the name of the author. If you should find out can you please post it. It would be interesting to see if she brings justice to this love story. There is something that I have noticed watching the last season, I was hoping that the painting Kristofer Gentian did of Catherine and Vincent on "When the Blue Bird sings" would be hanging in Vincent's chamber. I knew that it would not go to Catherine's apartment for obvious reasons. Has anyone spotted the painting? Seeing that they brought back a lot of the props they used throughout the season (Catherines mask, invetations, love notes) and some of the characters.

Anyone know how to contact Ron Perlman? Lets get the ball rolling.

vetivera24

[25]Feb 28, 2008
    Yes the author is Karen L. Haws (see info posted below). The information is on the Amazon web site but I could not post there because I didn't buy my 3rd season DVD from them. Anyway I googled her and wrote to her about my support for her project and to let us know when her book is published. Ron has web sites dedicated to him all over the internet. I suppose we could contact him through his agent. Let's see if we can find an email address.

Karen L. Haws writing as Laurel Cain Haws Honey tree enterprises
    1587 West fork rd.
    Murray, ky. 42071
    kandycain1587@bellsouth.net

lacphanbbfan

[26]Feb 29, 2008
    Excellent! Thanks for the information. I'm going to email her with my support right now.

joyjoy78

[27]Mar 16, 2008
    • level: 1
    I have just finished S1-S3 after watching it for the first time in 20 years. How time flies? Watching Ron and Linda doing the select episode introduction in Season 2 makes me wanna scream - WHEN will they make a movie out of this and give what all fans have been dreaming of? I really love to see Ron and Linda reprising Vincent and Catherina's role respectively because both V+C have such great chemistry. I hated Season 3, sorry. I think the season died after "Walk Slowly". Sure they tried to make it interesting with Diana in it but I cannot accept the presence of another woman in Vincent's life. It doesn't sit in well with the theme of show. If any CBS producers are ready this, What will it take to film a movie and give us closure once and for all?

lacphanbbfan

[28]Mar 18, 2008
    I agree with you they should make a movie. It would bring closure to this series that ended much too early. I must admit though, I did enjoy the third season more this time after watching it on DVD. I think at the time I was so disappointed about Catherine gone that I just could not enjoy the rest of the series I actually missed a couple of episodes at the end. I have purchased all three seasons and have watched them over and over. I get so sad at the end that I have to go back and watch the first episode. If you read previous posts there is a book being written and should be out in July. The author seems very excited and is also a huge fan of the show. Hopefully she will do justice to this amazing story.

Marie793

[29]Mar 26, 2008

Hi everybody,

Sure feels great to be able to talk about this show after all these years. I bought season 1 and season 2 on DVD but can't bring myself to buy season 3 and I don't think I will ever be able to... Watching Beauty and the beast was a special experience for me , I was about 9 years old and that's what got me interested in learning english. My first language is french and I remember that I started listening to the show in french but then one day I was flipping trough channels and I found the show in english and I liked it so much already in french that I started listening to it in english even though I couldn't understand much in the beginning... Vincent's voice or rather Ron Perlman's voice was unusual and appealing, something I couldn't get in the french version. So I started listening to it in french and in english and that's how I learned english and I'm very thankful for it. I don't know how they are teaching english in today's school but in my days it wasn't very developped, I would never have learned it there, so parents who say that tv is bad for kids I have to disagree a bit, it can't be something wonderful and useful although they don't make shows anymore quite like this one with the poetry, Shakespeare, forever love...

Thank you very much for sharing the information about the new book coming this summer, I won't miss this for the world and yes I'm crossing my fingers that it gets us a movie with an happy ending and reunion of my all-time favorite onscreen couple Catherine and Vincent.

I don't remember much about season 3 just that I hated it because it didn't stand for anything anymore for me after all the title was Beauty and the Beast if you got the beauty out of it , it didn't leave you with much of a show... Their beautiful lovestory was the attraction of the show for me and when it was gone I couldn't find a reason to stick around and watch. I would have liked it if after learning that Linda Hamilton was leaving they had decided to end the show and give us a two hour farewell movie with a good ending...

lacphanbbfan

[30]Mar 27, 2008

Hi,

Marie 793

I am glad that there are people catching up on this series it is nice to see young people appreciate a show that captured the hearts of many women of the 80's. You said you could not get yourself to watch the final season for the obvious reason that it ended a remarkeable love affair. As I said before in some previous posts it was very hard for me at the time. However, I did buy the third season and gave it a chance. I am not going to sugar coat it. It is very sad. I will admit that it was a very powerful ending. I wish they could have kept it going for a few more seasons. There are a lot of mixed feelings regarding the the choice of ending. I guess I am older and realize that not all love stories have a happy ending and nothing lasts forever. The producers did what they thought was best due to Linda's departure from the show. Don't give up on watching that final season it will be sad but there is bittersweet ending (some may not agree with me). Vincent's final words to Catherine are heartwrenching. I hope when I'm gone someone speaks of me that way. If you bring yourself to watch let me know what you think..

lacphanbbfan

[31]Apr 29, 2008

Hi marie793,

Just wondered if you got yourself to watching season three since your last post. Give it a chance you may not be disappointed. There is a book coming out this summer by Karen L Haws ( I hope I spelled her name correctly). She is a huge fan of the show and promises to bring some light back into Vincent and Catherine's life.

Looking forward to it.

Edited on 04/27/2009 5:36pm

jayneblake

[32]May 2, 2008
    • level: 2
    Hi everyone. I have just rewatched Season 3. Does anyone agree that the episode entitled "In the Forests of the Night" was in the wrong place? I think it belonged in between "A time to Heal" and "Chimes at Midnight". If you agree, please post as it might help someone who has not watched Season 3 yet.
    Thanks. Jayne

waskalywabbit

[33]May 5, 2008

I Have watched all 3 seasons and loved every minute of them, when i watched the tv series 20 years or so ago i fell in love with Vincent (well thats the sort of thing that happens when youre 26 ) ISNT IT?? Anyway recently all 3 series have been shown on the tv again and here i am at the ripe old age of 46 finding myself still in love with Vincent so i finally gave in and ordered the full dvd set which are brilliant but yes a couple of the episodes seem to be out of place and apparently this is because there were some episodes that were not going to be shown when the series went out but were later shown on tv some months after series 3 finished ,these particular ones didnt match up to any begining or end of the other episodes so were just slotted in out of sinc. Its a wondefull love story and the only thing i would change is the ending to where Vincent ,Catherine and their son live a long and happy life together.

lacphanbbfan

[34]May 6, 2008

Hi all, I don't know if the dvds you have is the original cbs/paramount copies that have been released recently. On my dvd The Forests of the Night is where it should be between A Time To Heal and Chimes at Midnight. Did you purchase the recently released version? I know there was a lot of copies sold on the internet before it was due to come out.

Reading posts from some old fans of the show I realize I'm not the only one who still gets a warm feeling when I hear Vincent speak or read to Catherine. Welcome aboard!

Edited on 04/27/2009 5:38pm

jayneblake

[35]May 6, 2008
    Hi Celeste. I have lent my recently purchased Season 3 to someone (groan) so I can't check yet if Forests of the Night is in the right place on them. But I was watching on Zone Romantica AND I had printed off an episode synopsis and both of them had it in the wrong place. I am wondering now if that was just coincidence and my dvds are perfectly ok. Thanks for replying. I will check when I get them back (if I ever do....why are people so slow? I watched mine till my eyeballs nearly fell out). Jayne

waskalywabbit

[36]May 6, 2008

Thanx for the welcome

I bought my DVD set about a month ago and had it shipped from USA,I live in the UK and theres not one place to get it here,

We have just had a rerun of all episodes 1,2 and 3 and the last one was testerday, i thought that was it and i would just have to play my DVDs over and over but i switched on today out of habit and episode 1 season 1 was running so looks like its rerunning again, YIPEEEEE ,The same episode is run twice a day here and i watch them both times , My other half sulks when its on and my kids think im a head case but hey i figure if every man had half the values that Vincent holds and our kids had half his wisdom our world would be a safer place ( Not meaning to get too serious here but its true)

Its nice to find someone else to air my thoughts with that doesnt think ive completely lost it.

waskalywabbit

[37]May 6, 2008
    Sorry ment to add that IN THE FORESTS OF THE NIGHT is between
    INVICTUS and THE RECKONING on my DVD set Caz

waskalywabbit

[38]May 6, 2008
    Has anyone else been reading this http://www.classicalliance.net/tunneltalesag/ayianadancingtitle.htm Let me know what you think

jayneblake

[39]May 7, 2008
    Hi. I thought so!!! I'm pretty sure that in the episode called In the Forests of the Night, Vincent is still searching for his son (and destroys Gabriel's drug den), whereas in Invictus he had already got him back. So the episode really belonged between A Time To Heal, where Diana meets and nurses Vincent, and The Chimes at Midnight. I too am in the UK and started watching all over again yesterday. I did buy all three Seasons separately in the UK from Ebay, total of 15 discs, but then I saw a set in USA which is condensed into 7, so I have ordered it and if it ever arrives I will keep it just for me, and lend out my other set. Luckily my husband just raises his eyes to heaven and goes back to his painting! Jayne

waskalywabbit

[40]May 7, 2008
    Its nice to know im not the only one who finds this fairytale love story captivating and a pleasure to watch (over and over and over again ) I too have just ordered a 7 disc dvd set from powerhouse in usa and am aslo waiting for it to arrive,All my friends are asking to borrow my first set but im refusing until i have the second set here,those ones are going under lock and key.
    Have you had the chance to read the online book? im not sure what to make of it! Caz