Beauty and the Beast Forums

CBS (ended 1990)

New book out in summer

jayneblake

[1]Apr 25, 2008
    • level: 2
    Hi everyone. I learned from a previous posting about the book by Karen L Haws coming out in the summer. She has given me her website link http://stores.lulu.com/honeytreeenterprises and I hope you will all have a look. The book sounds wonderful and continues the storyline from the end of the series. Catherine will be restored to Vincent so I can't wait. It has been written for all the heartbroken fans so do support her and have a look on the site. Best wishes to everyone. Jayne
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jayneblake

[2]May 7, 2008
    I have ordered mine!! Karen Haws is financing the whole operation herself and keeping her profit as low as possible so that we can afford to buy the book. I don't know when I will receive mine but I will read it very quickly and post a review. Best wishes. Jayne

LuvmyMick

[3]May 15, 2008
    • level: 12
    I had no lue about this book... I am so excited! Thank you!

Celtwytch

[4]May 21, 2008
    • level: 8

I have to say, I'm a little concerned about this book. The author made a big thing about the fact that she spelt Jo Anderson's character's name wrong (Dianna instead of Diana) and cites Diana as an "unusual" spelling. The main spelling of that name that I've encountered is Diana, so I don't know where she got the other one from. I'm sure it wouldn't have been that big a job to change it, using a search and replace function which I'm pretty sure is included in all word processing software. Still, if that's the only flaw, then maybe we're in for a great read, and not just some poorly written fanfic

agent_0042

[5]May 22, 2008
    • level: 66
    Hmm... well, could be worth a shot. I haven't finished watching the show yet, though I'm working hard on it.

I think I'll wait for more info here before actually considering buying, though. If you ask me, also, the book sounds a bit pricey. $29.95 for a paperback? Heavens, $29.99 was standard retail for Harry Potter and the Order the Phoenix as well as Half-Blood Prince when they came out for hardbacks, and that was before the standard deep-discount that most merchants applied.

However, I also understand the difficulties of self-publishing and therefore perhaps the need for such a high price. We'll see...
    Edited on 05/22/2008 8:39pm

lolipopann

[6]May 31, 2008
    Yes, I've had similar concerns. I read the first chapter online and have to admit that I thought the writing seemed a bit shallow and a a bit unbelievable. Catherine and Vincent married?!? Mmm... but I'm so keen for Catherine And Vincent to have a happy ending that Im going to buy the book anyway!

lolipopann

[8]Jun 1, 2008
    As I said, I want a happy ending so I'll enjoy the book no matter what!!

Celtwytch

[9]Jun 6, 2008

I too have read the first chapter online, and I have to say that I'm glad I did, cos now I won't be blindly rushing to buy the book. It reads like an entire history of life in the Tunnels - and that's just one chapter! Lord knows how much other superfluous background information is in the rest of the book. I mean, for a book that's aimed at true fans of the show, it really wasn't necessary to include quite so much detail. That being said, the author has been extremely thorough in writing the history; I just wish she had divided her writing into 2 books, one being a companion book to the show, the other being the novel.

jayneblake

[10]Jun 6, 2008
    It is rather a shame to give a poor review on something you have not read.......and I feel the background was important to prepare for the furtherance of the tv storyline. I really enjoyed it, but no book in the world is going to satisfy every reader and I am sure the author is prepared for conflicting reviews. We are all entitled to our opinion, but personally, I would sooner not post at all than discourage someone who has put so much time and effort into something for the benefit of others. I do hope your comments do not put off any other fan who watched Season 3 and was saddened by the way the series had to end.

lolipopann

[12]Jun 6, 2008
    I'm sorry if I've upset anyone with my comments when the truth is Im really grateful to the author for writing the book. In fact my copy has just arrived and I'm so excited... I can't wait to read it! I was just expressing my concern about how believable the story might be but in retrospect, I'm sure the author has spent many months thinking it through and I thank her for sharing it wit us.

jayneblake

[13]Jun 9, 2008
    Hi Lolipoann. I think you will find that these comments were not meant for you!!! They were meant for the person who posted on No. 9!!! Jayne

Celtwytch

[14]Jun 9, 2008

Can I just point out that I was not writing a review of the book, as one person seems to think? Having had my book reviews published for several years, I feel it would be unprofessional to review an entire book based on a single chapter. Yes, I was expressing an opinion, and I thought that this forum was here for that very purpose. I'm sure most readers would form an opinion of a book while reading the first chapter. I am not trying to put others off buying the book; I merely made the point that I personally thought there was far too much background material in it. I admire the author for the work and devotion she has put into the book, and I wish her well, but I would encourage others to read the first chapter (which is helpfully provided on the website) and form their own opinions.

lolipopann

[15]Jun 13, 2008

Hi All,

Well, I've read the book now (it took me a day and a half!) but I have delayed writing because I wanted time to think about it. Overall, I enjoyed it. The author has been imaginative in how she has tied up some of the loose ends and has done it in a believable way. There were parts that I didn't like - I don't think I needed to know the intimate details of Vincent and Catherine's relationship but others might find it completes the story for them. Now, a week later, I find myself thinking of them with the happy ending we all wanted and that's a nice feeling. So, thank you to Laurel Cain Haws for writing this book. Long live Catherine and Vincent!!

laurelcainhaws

[16]Jan 9, 2010
    • level: 1
    It has been quite an exciting year and an half since these postings. I am now remarried to another wonderful Vincent-like man, and we are blissfully happy together. I had to smile over reading these postings made so long ago just shortly after my novel was published. Thank you to everyone for your thought-provoking comments and support of my work. You might enjoy reading my little article I posted on my website called "Perspectives" which will answer some of these initial concerns some of you had regarding my book. Now, my entire novel is available as a free download on my site for anyone wanting to thoroughly check it out before buying a printed copy. The books available on my website including the free download are the fully corrected versions with the spellings used by the series creators, but the story itself is identical no matter which version you are reading. There are also several reader reviews posted there. I love all of you! Karen (Laurel Cain Haws) Dearing