Beauty and the Beast Forums

CBS (ended 1990)

Repetitvie? No Development?

agent_0042

[1]Jan 26, 2008
    • level: 66
    I was looking at the page for Linda Hamilton, who played Catherine, here, wanting to know what she's up to today. And I saw this in the quotes:

"(about why she left the show) I died doing that show - 48 mini-movies exactly the same. I wanted the characters to evolve, but the network always stuck with the formula. Besides, I had a baby and wanted to be a good mother, which I couldn't do working 16 hours a day. So, as valuable as the experience was, I needed to move on. Repetiton is really something in which I have no interest."

I haven't seen the whole series yet. I'm still waiting for season three on DVD (they are going to release it, right?) But what does everybody think of that? No development? Is that true? Fair assessment? It seemed to me like there's been some development, but yeah, maybe not enough. It's still a pretty awesome show, though.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lacphanbbfan

[2]Feb 10, 2008
    • level: 4
    I personnally do not think that Ms. Hamilton felt that way about the show. If you seen the second season you might have heard her say in the commentary that she did with Ron that she was consumed by the the story. She did what she had to do and like many fans of the show I was quite disappointed when it went off the air. I have collected all three dvds and was surprised that I had actually missed the last two eppisodes of the series. At the time they did not have a proper time slot they aired the first ten episodes and then all that I saw were reruns for months. I too was pregnant at the time and delivered around the time that the two last episodes were aired. I'm glad that I got to see it on this dvd. I hope that a movie might be considered in the future. This was a modern day fantasy I liked this show for what it was about two people that connected. It is about love, loss, good and evil. It was wholesome without all that lust that you see today on every primetime t.v. This has brought back a lot of memories for me. And now I can continue to enjoy a make me feel good show.

agent_0042

[3]Feb 12, 2008
    So just to be clear -- you believe that the quote is a fake item?

lacphanbbfan

[4]Feb 13, 2008
    To answer your question I believe it was misinterpreted. Most television series are very repetitive CSI, ER,( just to name a couple) are based on the same type of story each week. I would imagine it is quite challenging to keep characters and story fresh. I think it takes a lot of commitment and work. When an actor has personal problems it will create conflict and you will notice it in the character they are playing. Have you seen the last two seasons? I noticed on the last two episodes when Linda was already pregnant she looked different almost like she had already made up her mind to leave. However it was really hard to see that show end. Believe me 20 years ago many women like myself were very disappointed to the point that petitions were sent to the producers (with a lot of hate mail to Linda Hamilton). I think she is a terrific actress but I also think it could have done well if they had gone with (Jo Anderson) Diana. Hope I did not give anything away. Let me know if you have seen season three and what you think?

agent_0042

[5]Feb 13, 2008
    It's all right, I've already been spoiled (sigh) and no, I haven't seen three yet, and won't have a chance to for a while. I haven't even finished two yet.

vetivera24

[6]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 3
    To be honest, I was surprised to see that comment attributed to her too. It didn't seem like that. I knew she was pregnant and it would alter the story a lot, but now that we know she was drug addicted and bipolar without getting any proper treatment, I can see how she would be out of sync with the world. It was not her job to keep us happy but to us it felt like betrayal well at least it did to me. Lots of pregnant actresses have had babies in inappropriate shows. It could have been written out...they choose to keep it in and spoil it for a premature ending.
    Ron Perlman loved her and says she was a dream actress to work with. Well that was probably part of being bipolar...they have control issues. Linda was lovely in the role of Cathering and gave all women hope to love outside of the accepted boundaries or with men who don't fit the traditional 'goodlooking' profile. For this I am grateful for this show and story line.

lacphanbbfan

[7]Feb 22, 2008

Well said, I too have always been captivated by a love story that is complex or unaccepted by society either by stature, looks, religion or origin. It was watching Beauty and the Beast that I learned to appreciate classical music, poetry and yes even ballet. In the third season we learn that nothing is forever but love can be transformed.

vetivera24

[8]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 3

Yes, in this time of so much stress in the world, the 'Of Love and Hope' cd has been my constant companion on the road. How beautiful it is to listen to Vincent and remember the places where he either recited the poetry or the music played. Too bad that classy things on TV always get the boot.

I still hope for a TV movie or reunion of some sort in the future.

agent_0042

[9]May 31, 2008
    All right -- follow-up question, because I'm a bit confused. Was the reason she left the show because she was pregnant and also because of the general state of her mental health? Sci Fi TV From the Twilight Zone to Deep Space Nine, a book I checked out from the library (a so-so book, but it does seem to have some good info here and there) makes it sound entirely as if she left solely because she wanted to pursue her film career.

lolipopann

[10]Jun 1, 2008
    • level: 2
    I have to agree that what she said was misinterpreted. My understanding is that she left because she was pregnant and also because of her depression, which just goes to prove to me again what a good actress she is. If you look on You Tube you'll come across some TV interviews with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman and not once does she say that she left because she'd had enough. You'll also find some lovely tributes to the show.

lacphanbbfan

[11]Jun 1, 2008

Hi all,

I don't know where 0042 is getting this information in regards to Linda Hamilton's departure from the series. You cannot always believe what you read. When the show was cancelled I read every colunm, and watched every interview to try and make sense of Linda's departure. I was a huge fan very disappointed with her decision, I could not understand why an actress doing a series that was doing so well, nominated for many awards could just walk away. She had her reasons, pregnancy, mental illness (which she admited a few years ago), and the comitment of doing a series that she gave all of herself in order to make work. The media has not always been kind to her, there has even been comments of her sexuall preference. As I said before in one of my other posts she did what she had to do. I know she prefers the big screen, she went on to do the Terminator about two years after the series was cancelled, Dante's Peak and many others. It would disappoint me if she had returned to television in another series.

Have you seen the final season yet?

Celeste

lolipopann

[12]Jun 1, 2008

I've recently watched it for the second time round and I have to admit, it's pretty good. I was carefully watching to see if there was any hint of a romance between Vincent and Diana but was pleased that the writers did not go down that road, until perhaps the very last sentence of the series when Vincent told Diana that she was a blessing to him. Was that a hint of a developing relationship? It was cleverly left to the viewer to decide...I've decided that Vincent remained loyal to Catherine!

I still live in hope that Ron Koslow will bring them back and show us all that Catherine was forced into a witness protection programme for 20 years and will reunite her with Vincent and their son!!!

agent_0042

[13]Jun 7, 2008
    lac -- I assume you're speaking figuratively, since I said exactly where I was getting all the information. Obviously I don't necessarily believe a lot of it at face value, or else I wouldn't be asking about it here.

To answer the question -- I'm a little more than halfway through -- I've watched 7 of 12 episodes. I'll have more thoughts once I've finished watching them all.

lacphanbbfan

[14]Jun 8, 2008
    Point taken -0042. Hope you enjoy the rest of the episodes.

VCloved

[15]Jun 19, 2008
    I also was glad that the show kept Vincent loyal to Catherine. I never did want Diana with him, but appreciated that he had someone to help him.He was in much danger when he colasped at Catherine grave. Everyone needs good friends. I would love to see a movie made to bring closure and happiness for them, including their child.I believe Ron and Linda would need to return for it to work. This was a wonderful,romantic and clean cut show.

lacphanbbfan

[16]Jun 20, 2008

Welcome vcloved, Are you a new fan? I have been a fan for 20 years (that tells you a lot about my age). I too have been waiting for closure, it would be great to see these two characters back even for a made for tv movie. There is a book out by Karen L. Haws that is quite believable and she starts where the series ended. And yes, the love between Vincent and Catherine is restored in a very creative plot. You can check it out at http://stores.lulu.com/honeytreeenterprises, you can preview the first chapter in her blog won't hurt to try.

Let me know what you think!.

Celeste

Parsec54

[17]Jul 8, 2008
    • level: 20

Even if the quote in the first post of this thread isn't quite accurate I can see where it would come from, because for the premise to work, it'd pretty much have to be locked in to a certain phase of their relationship. In some ways, it's like the Star Trek shows, or really any ongoing series that rely on a certain group of people to make it work. It would be very much against the show's bible to have something with such finality happen to a major character. That's why it surprised me so much when they decided Catherine's character was going to be off the show. In some very major ways, it changed the essence of the show and it lost a great deal of what made it unique.

Speaking as what seems to be a member of a minority here (I'm male but I still absolutely loved the show), I kind of felt cheated by the way that whole storyline went... the final episodes felt to me like the writers had lost their way and just couldn't keep it going anymore. The third season pretty much proved the feeling correct because the magic just wasn't there anymore. I can in some ways sympathize with the writers because there are only so many things you can do with characters you can't have really move forward and let their relationship progress the way it normally would. There are only a certain number of times that Catherine's life could be in danger and Vincent come to save the day before it got ho hum boring. I was rather surprised that they didn't decide to have a wedding in the last few episodes. You can't tell me that with all the people down there in the tunnels they didn't have a priest or minister, or know someone who was, that could have performed the ceremony. Yeah, it would have been cliched and trite, but wouldn't it have been better than the way the show actually DID end?

lacphanbbfan

[18]Jul 11, 2008

Hi parsec54

Nice to see feed back from a member of the minority group of fans that love BATB. It was rather sad the way they ended it and we (the fans ) agree with you it would be nice to have wrapped up the series with a happier ending. And it's true, the writers were scrambling to keep the episodes fresh and still maintain the essence of the show.

However, I also know that a lot of the writers and producers did not want it to end that way. As much as I disliked the third season for the obvious, the actors especially Ron Perlman playing a grieving Vincent was an amazing performance.

Edited on 07/11/2008 7:10am

lolipopann

[19]Jul 12, 2008
    Does anyone know if there have been any recent efforts made to lobby the writers / producers to make a TV movie to give the fans the ending we all want? If so, how can we add to it and, if not, how can we start a petition to ask them to bring it back? Surely there's enough fans wanting the same thing so they would have to take notice? I would only want Linda Hamilton & Ron Perlman to play the parts so they would have to set the story at least 15 years after we last saw it but I'm sure it could be done.

lacphanbbfan

[20]Jul 13, 2008

Hi Lolipop, I have brought up that same question myself, I have looked at other sights to see if there was any links that we may possibly go to, and leave a message to the producers of the show. Other than similar sights as this one, I have not found any direct link to be able to do that. I am hoping that word gets out and someone looks at all the BATB fan sights and realizes it is still very much alive.

I have gone to the Marina sight where they have an interview with R. R. Martin a few years back and he did say that Linda Hamilton would not go back to play the roll of Catherine. However, he also went on to say that if there was a good script for the big screen, big dollar amounts she may feel differently. As for Ron Perlman, I saw an interview with him when the first Hellboy movie came out and when he was asked about perhaps playing Vincent, he said he would fill the shoes.

So if you find anything that we can petition and promote for a sequel keep us informed.

Regards