Beavis and Butt-head

Werewolves of Highland/Crying

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Oct 27, 2011 on MTV - Music Television

• I must say this was a great comeback for beavis and butthead

This episode is very funny in my opinion because it so clever mocks how fans go crazy over twilight. It was a great episode and it really feels as if nothing has change. This episode is my favorite so far.
  • They boys "become werewolves" to pull chicks, and later Butt-head insists that he's seen Beavis crying. A wonderful return for the dim-witted duo...

This review contains spoilers.

We've seen a number of animated favourites return in recent years. It started with the triumphant return of 'Family Guy'; 'Futurama' (which I have also just reviewed) has done it too, and now, the greatest of them all, 'Beavis and Butt-head', returns. The good news? They're just as funny as ever.

The original was a show that either you "got" or you didn't. It wasn't simply celebrating the dim-wittedness of which the two "stars" encapsulate, it was mocking it. At the same time c'mon, who WOULDN'T like to hang out with Beavis and Butt-head for a couple of hours? Half to laugh at them, half to laugh with them, huh-huh.

Whereas other such adult animated efforts have been available on DVD and reruns and whatnot for some years now, old B&B's profile hasn't been as well represented. This is for two reasons: partly because of the controversial nature of some of the early episodes (complete with "fire!" references and whatnot), which does seem rather tame in today's 'Family Guy'-esque TV environment. Secondly is due to the music video review inserts, which have played havoc with copyright clearance; and as such, only certain selected episodes have been released over the years on VHS and DVD, usually with little if any of the music video segments, and many re-edited or altered from their original broadcast versions, removing various controversial behaviour. Fans such as myself have had to make do with various surviving vintage TV recordings and trading / purchasing unofficial recordings with fellow fans in vain hope that the complete originals might one day be released.

Either way, the sn-ggering twosome are back back back! When I heard that B&B were set to return, part of me was very concerned. Yes they were badly behaved and destructive, but in a comic-book, dumb way. I was worried that they would now be more on the side of foul-mouthed and dislikeable over the exaggerated caricatures we loved in the originals; I worried that they'd be "nastied up" to compete with some of today's other animated efforts such as 'South Park' and 'Family Guy' (both of which I love btw, but something which I didn't want to see taint 'Beavis and Butt-head's own style of humour). I need not have worried going by this opening double-bill, these could easily have been episodes from the original run, just with a few more modern references thrown in.

Things open with 'Werewolves of Highland', where, after seeing 'Twilight', the boys decide to "become werewolves" to attract chicks. Cue getting bitten by a local hobo, and coming down with terrible diseases. Classic B&B fare, and for an opening episode, as well as introducing a new wave of fans, it does the job perfectly.

The second half of the episode, 'Crying', is also top notch. It sees Beavis, while watching a sad drama on TV, welling up from an onion on his chilli dog. Butt-head insists that Beavis was crying and refuses to let him forget it. As with many of the vintage, classic episodes, it is a simple idea that is executed well, with some hilarious dialogue. Even more than 'Werewolves', this so easily felt like it could have been a vintage-era 'Beavis' episode and I love it for that.

The ending to 'Crying' felt a little awkward -- it sees the two as pensioners in a rest home, with Butt-head STILL mocking Beavis for crying. When Butt-head passes away, Beavis still insists he wasn't crying all those years ago. This felt a little uneven for a re-introductory episode, one of the characters dies at the end (let's assume they live in a multi-possibility world shared by the likes of 'Family Guy' et al). I also thought it would have been more amusing if Beavis had actually got upset at Butt-head dying, only for Butt-head to awaken and start mocking Beavis all over again. 'Crying' is a wonderful 'Beavis' ep, but for the awkward ending, I do feel that it might have benefitted even more from being slotted slightly further into this new run.

The music video sections, often a highlight of the original episodes, are still in place (BTW, despite some conflicting reports if they would be or not, they are also present on the DVD release -- thankfully, the rights were ironed out during production this time 'round!), and now are joined by similar commentaries over various MTV reality shows.

I live in the U.K. and don't have $ky (terrestrial broadcaster Channel 4 didn't even air later episodes of the original run, and don't seem to have noticed this revival), so the DVD release is my first chance to enjoy these new episodes of 'Beavis and Butt-head'. I was a little cautious -- especially given the fair-but-not-perfect nature of the similarly revived 'Futurama'. But thankfully, all of the B&B crude charm is perfectly intact (heck, Beavis even cries "fire" again nowadays!) and I really look forward to watching the rest of this new season.

Two great opening tales with lots of laughs, I give 'Werewolves of Highland / Crying' a solid 10/10. Huh huh, "solid".
  • Beavis and butthead are amazing!

Beavis and butthead have been gone for a long time but after all these years they are just as funny as they were before. I am so glad beavis and butthead came back. I havent watched mtv in years and its nice to finally see something entertaing on this god forsaken channel.
  • Welcome Back Beavis and Butt Head

This is something I never thought would happen, and since it's happened I really wish it could be the same for some other animated shows out there. This is of my favorate animated shows because it was loaded with wicked satirical and verbal humor with the visuals to accompany them, it's also a bit of a time capsule since it satirized on the 90's decade. Even after the show was gone I always imagined how the two would rip on our current decade, and now it looks like my dream has finally came true, just hope it will live it up.

Anyway my favorate segment for this is no doubt "Werewolves of Highland" it was just hillarous from begining to end. I love how it was just ripping on the "Twilight" hype; for the record and this is just my opinion mind you I don't like the "Twilight" book series and movies, I think their boring, characters aren't likeable, and not much really happens, like I said it's my opinion please don't chop me to pieces. Anyway, really loved those comments they said while the movie was playing, "Uh is Bella a zombie?".

Then of course we see the two going into action just to as usual pursue the elusive scoring, by using the "Twilight" hype to their advantage which is finding a way to become a werewolf or vampire. And that's where I feel the satirical humor really hits the spot because the problem/danger with the "Twilight" hype is it really set up false pretenses on what guys should be for girls and that these are the kinds they need in their lives. It was just blackly funny seeing what happens after both Beavis and Butt Head get bitten, their right about one thing they do look like the undead both litterally look like zombies, it was just funny seeing Beavis trying to howl and then cough. As well as their reaction when they mistakenly think their scam is working and their quoting those lines to the girls.

Overall it was comic gold and a welcome return.

• Beavis and Butthead are Back in Black

The number one question on the mind of every fan of Mike Judge's cornerstone pop culture phenomenon known as Beavis & Butthead was "How can Beavis & Butthead, a show so linked to the 90s MTV slacker decade past, possibly be relevant again in the year 2011?" Well, Judge knew he couldn't get away with just having the boys sit back and watch 90s-era stuff for nostalgia gags, so like the great writer and creator that he is, he finds new ways to have the boys make comments on the crass consumerism of the world today. At one point in this episode they even address the current economic recession our country is in in their own subtle way by commenting on how dumb and vacuous a music group like LMFAO is for trying to spread the message of "Party like a rock star" in their music during these troubling times and exposing that group for the naive, rich, never-had-to-work-a-day-in-their-life kids they are. That tongue-in-cheek commentary on our modern times is what made Beavis & Butthead so great in the 90s because it was fun, satirical, controversial and it wasn't afraid of tackling the tough, relevant political issues. Throw in some fun stuff involving the Twilight series, werewolves, homeless men, and hepatitis C, and this was the perfect way to kick off the reboot of Beavis & Butthead. If this is what we can expect every week, than look out World, because Beavis & Butthead could very well become just as massively popular and relevant today as it was during it's original run during the 1990s.

• 10/27

I was not a huge fan of the show during its original run, but I liked this episode. The storyline was goofy, a little too "new Family Guy" for my taste, but the commercials with the commentary by Beavis and Butthead were hilarious. Those moments were arguably the funniest all Thursday and that is a lot considering all of the comedies on that night.

They tackled Jersey Shore, Twilight, Teen Mom, I just hope they don't run out of things to mock. That's my biggest concern, but this was a good return for the show. They've hooked me as a viewer.

• After 14 years, I gotta say it was worth the wait.

This episode was fantastic, its original too, the boys are in a movie theatre, making fun of twilight, it was hilarious when he asked the chick for her popcorn, him getting smacked, and the hobo biting Beavis and ButtHead, and the music video skits were freaking awesome.

This episode gets a 10 out of 10