Becker

CBS (ended 2004)

Becker Fan Reviews (77)

• I guess I just don\'t get it.

1.1
    Every time i see an episode of this horrible show, it just gets worse and worse. I have honestly and earnestly tried to like this show, and its characterss, but for some reason, I just don\'t. the characters are all dry and and I\'m sorry, but it\'s just a terrible show.
  • I watch it...but don't know why...

4.2
    I tend to watch this show once a day, because it is on so dang much on all the channels...but i don't know why. It really is not that funny, sure, it has it's moments, but even the worst shows do...have you ever seen Yes, Dear?

Sure, Ted could carry any show, i just believe that, but this one just got to be too much...i don't really know why it was canceled, it did well...but then again, i don't know why it did well...

If you like run of the mill, middle of the road shows, go ahead watch and enjoy.
  • Becker's a smoker? Since when?

7.3
    I love this show, and wish I'd started watching it sooner.

But I was very disappointed to see Becker smoking in a recent Christmas episode. What kind of message is that to send? It didn't even have a point; there was no dialog to go along with it. He just lit up (in a restaurant, ew!) and started puffing away. Very, very strange.
  • well it is good but sometime you feel something missing

becker is a show revolving around the life of john becker a doctor with a private clinic who is never happy. i mean really never happy always bitc*ing aout something. the show is good but i always feel something is missing which i cant identify . anyway during the show you find that the doc cant maintain any relationship there always something wrong . but maybe part of the problem is that there is no possiblity for innovation they have a theme that worked for sometime but then you run out of idea as you cant base an entire show on someone hating is life ( althought this worked before).
  • Forget House MD, this is the real deal ;)

"Becker", a sitcom starring the Cheers-Star Ted Danson, playing the cantankerous doctor John Becker who doesn't hesitate to speak his mind.

I always liked watching the character John Becker doing one of his rants. Although the character is a bitter cynical man, he's usually right with what he says. For example when he talks about the horrible TV program. ;)

the other characters like Margaret, Jake and Reggie have to put up with him and get him off from his high horse once in a while.

Ted Danson does a great job at showing the different sides of John Becker who actually has a soft heart, caring for his patients. But most importantly: The show is funny as hell ;)

However, the show had a "JumpTheShark"-moment when Becker slept with Reggie (imo). After Terry Farrell left the cast, the show wasn't so great anymore. Therefore, "just" a 7.5
  • Great show!

7.8
    I never knew about this show when it was orginally on tv, and only got turned on to it during its sydication....and I have not regretted the day that I discovered Becker.

The show is centered around a very angry man who happens to run a local clinic in a small New York communtiy and with the help of his friends the comedy begins.

My favorite character is Linda...she plays a brain dead ninny with perfection.

Overall, a brilliant show that I can't wait to get the dvds of.
  • Funny show with good characters.

7.9
    I first watched this once one night and I really liked it. I don't watch it anymore but I ocassionally watch it when nothing else is on. The show is amazing and completely funny. I use to watch Cheers and I love Ted Danson as an actor. I love the one character who's blond and sure acts blond. She's a nurse there but I don't remember the name. Haven't watched in awhile but she was be far the funniest person ever on the show. If you enjoy comedies you should give this show a shot and watch it some night.
  • Great sitcom, unfortunately the final season was dreadful

7.9
    Becker was a great show when in it's prime, however the final series of the show was appalling.

The impact of the departure of the characters Reggie and Bob was so severe on the show that it never looked like recovering once they had left.

The addition of Nancy Travis as the character of Chris did have some good moments in the series but once Reggie left and she became the new female lead character, it just wasn't the same.

The character of Hector who joined the show in its final series was dreadful and no replacement for the quick wit of Bob

Overall a great show, but when watching the re-runs avoid the final season at all costs
  • Ah.. where to begin about the hilarious sitcom known as becker which takes place in the bronx while he runs a medical practice and tries to maintain his cool while dealing with the craziness around him *Cheers to My First Review On The New Tv.com*

So Becker was a sitcom i started to watch either in late 2004 or early 2005 somewhere in that time period i didn't think much of it initially but after watching it a few times i realized exactly what made this sitcom so funny and this is Becker's crackiness and tirades ranting on From anything about corruput politics or something as simple as the food at Reggie's diner a direct quote from becker that should be an all time top 10 funniest line was "Card Carrying Loonatics" eventually i got so hooked on Becker that in 2008 i happily bought the entire series online in DVD-R format i reccomend it entirely it's got everything from the Oh so Funny Bob, To The Lovely Linda, To The Boyfriend desperate Reggie, and her later Replacement Chris each character added something unique but for me it hit an all time low when Reggie and Bob left
  • An Original show & pretty funny too.

From 1998 to 2004, Ted Danson played the misanthropic, in-your-face lovable cynic Dr. John Becker. Working in his clinic in New York City are the ditsy, youthful Linda and the sassy, smart and strong Margaret. The show was never as popular as The King of Queens, which it was always competing against. But Becker was a well-written show, where the strength was mostly in the characters. Becker was angry, cynical and hated sunshine, puppies, Valentines and many things, but he had a dignity of his own, and often we were angry WITH him because so many of the issues that made him made were understandably upsetting. Divorced twice, unlucky in love, and surrounded by a rather annoying group of friends- mainly at Regg's dinner, Jake and Bob, he was someone we just loved to see explode. The comedy is smart and well-written and very definitive of the 90's.
  • ddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds ds

ddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds dsddsffsdf dsf a ds ds ds
  • great show

Ya i like this show alot. becker always picks on that blind guy though wats up with that? Alot of the episodes seem similair but it doesn't matter thats how great the show is. Ted Danson is hilarious in this show, almost as funny as he was on Cheers. Such a great show.

EROK
  • i don't watch much TV but when i do this is one of the shows i like most.`

Ted Danson is great in this role. everyone can relate to at least one charactor on the show. their exploits are always hillarious. with either Becker yelling about something, to Margaret getting on the Linda. and throw Jake,Reggie and Bob into the mix and you have a laugh filled episode. you have to love how Bob talks about himself in the third person, or how Linda works too hard to get out of work, and you have to feel sorry for Margaret having to put up with them and her never seen husband.i can't say i have a favorite episode since i like them all. it's just too bad it was took off the air, but remains a classic through reruns.
  • Weird but not bad

I did enjoy this show but did not watch all the time.
  • Great show! Great characters! Danson and his entourage have great chemisty...

Not exactly a "guilty pleasure", but I have to admit that at first I didn't think I liked this show. Only after I caught myself DVR-ing it and watching it every evening did I realize that I LOVE this show (turns out it was the guitar music/blurry New York interludes I didn't like - with DVR I could just fast-forward through that...). Ted Danson is great as the cheap, sarcastic, negative-but-lovable Becker. I also especially loved the characters Reggie and Jake. One of my favorite things about this show is its honesty and audacity to go ahead and get humor from Jake's being blind. In doing so it gets past political correctness and validates and normalizes his character. This show is really great. If you can catch the re-runs, do it!
  • Very original idea. Was fun to watch a show that didn't always take place in the same setting.

I really enjoyed watching Ted Danson play John Becker. I thought he did a great job and he is a superb actor. Shawnee Smith was one of my favorites. She played her role so well, that I had to remember her from movies like Armageddon and Leaving Las vegas to remind myself she is not really a "Linda."
  • Here's a show that should have been a classic, but somehow flew under the "Classic TV Radar"

A show that never truly got it's dues.

Ted Danson in a non Sam Malone role is wonderful! He really made this show what it was. Too bad that it never got the big exposure like some of the other CBS sitcoms got. This was one show that went off the air too soon. I would have enjoyed to see this show run for at least 8 years or so.

At least, now I can get a daily dosage of Becker on reruns. This is one of the shows that should stay on the air in reruns forever!
  • Great show!

This show was great! i mean you rarely find a show where the main character is as mean and hated by friends as becker...but its nice to finally see a character you can relate to. I have actually been influenced by his character... shows great, i wish it would come back..it's definately better than many surviving shows out there!
    im currently searching for the DVDs of this show..any help?
  • General comment about the show and it's amusing premise.

I like Becker, I am enjoying the reruns on TBS.
    I would like to point out that Becker was the grouchy doctor before House was the grouchy doctor.
    I love the show House so don't get me wrong.
    It's interesting though, everyone has forgotten
    that Becker was there first.
    He was grouchy just for the sake of being grouchy.
    He did not have all of the angst that House does.

Both great shows, great actors different catergories.
    Comedy , Drama

• Some things about the TV Show Becker....

Being from the Bronx and actually being in that office made this a personal TV Show. I loved it. And still watch it on from time to time. I would have given the show a 10 however there were a few things I didn't like. Main thing was Hatty Wilson part as a Christian. They made her a Hypocrite. And her parts were not funny. Like when Becker told her that He found Santa under the tree unwrapping his wife. Hatty over laughed. It wasn't that funny and I thought either her performance wasn't good or poorly written for her. There was a few other quirky moments in the show that needed work. But over all it was well written. I know they had a problem with Reggie, sadly she was a huge part of the shows success and they should have listened to her instead they didn't and she left the show. All they had to do was give a little more money and royalties. That's what I read. I think that Reggie replacement Chris was OK but didn't come close to Reggie. And it was only good if you totally looked at her as someone totally different but not as a replacement for Reggie. Reggie was beautiful and funny. The other thing was that Jake was a little to arrogant at times. Most blind people are humble people. And the relationship with the Blind woman didn't need to be in the show if she was going to judge Jake for being black and she can't even see that made for stupid writing. At least I think it did. Anyways the show was a success and very funny and I wish it was still on the air. Until then take care.
  • Awesome

I love "Becker". It was so funny and pretty original. Ted Danson is such a good actor. A lot of the time when actors get a second show after a successful one has ended, the two characters tend to merge and feel the same. Becker and Sam from "Cheers" are so, absolutely, totally different people. Sam is so suave and cool. Becker is an angry, loud bastard. Danson should really have won something for bringing such a character to life as well as he did. And, from what I've seen of Ted Danson in interviews, he is very shy and quiet. Totally different from both Sam and Becker. Not only was Danson great, but so was the supporting cast. My favorite would have to be Hattie Winston as Margaret. She wouldn't let Becker give her any crap.
  • Ted Danson in easily his best role since Cheers. Ted plays John Becker, a grumpy, eccentric but ultimately kind hearted and humanitarian doctor in the Bronx (or is it Brooklyn, does it matter?) Some mad characters and it could easily have been hacknied

One of the best lines I remember was the mother of a child dying with cancer telling Becker, "You just may go to Heaven whether you like it or not." and Becker's reply, "Thanks. It's the first time someone suggested I go in that direction."
    Brings a tear to my eye still.

When I see Ted Danson now I don't think Sam Malone I think Becker first. Not many actors that played a character for as long as he did in Cheers can escape the type-cast. Let's bring this back and not see any more of the torid tripe that was 'Ink'. Ted Danson has proven that he is a class actor'; Anyone that hasn't seen an episode of Becker should make it their duty to dip in whenever they see it listed. If you look hard enough you can also find Kelsey Grammer. I'll leave you with one last piece of dialogue:

Dr. John Becker: I never told you to shut up.
    Mr. Humphries: You hung up on me once.
    Dr. John Becker: So I didn't have to tell you to shut up.
  • GREAT SHOW!!

Becker is an awesome show. It\'s so funny! I can\'t believe I didn\'t start watching it until over a year ago. It\'d be great if they could bring it back. Some of the shows that are out now just aren\'t as good as this one. Can you get all the episodes on DVD?
  • This show is wonderful. Anybody who is a cynic on the inside would love this, but you have to be able to laugh at quasi-mean things.

You can think of this show like a precursor to House, since neither doctors have a great bedside manner. This show, as opposed to the one I previously mentioned, is not about the doctor's office it is about Dr. John Becker and his interactions with his patients, employees, friends, and random people on the street. The show is about an unhappy, unkind doctor whos actions are incongruent with his words. Though he may sound mean and cynical he really is a good person and understands his patients needs and has given into a softer side at times. Overall the cynical nature of the show along with some of the solid storylines makes it a pleasure to watch.
  • Becker was fantastic!

The show Becker is so funny, I love Lindas stupidity, Margrats smartism and sarcasim, Beckers attitude, Jakes loseness and humor, Bobs stupidity and street smarts. I love all the characters!

This show is paced on a doctor, Becker, who hates people and life, along with his so called friends he comes to hilariousidy!

This show is great, I'm sad that it ended but I can always watch reruns!
  • Becker was one of the best shows on primetime tv, and unfortunately was cancelled. The first recurring cast members were perfect, and I think after the second or third casting change, the show took a dive.

The show is based on the day-to-day life of a doctor with a private practice in New York. While most of us do not share the same job, many of us share the same kind of hurtles that Becker faced. Many could relate to dealing with nagging clients (patients for Becker), or a dim-witted secretary (Linda), or just simply struggling to fight our addiction to a particular vice (cigarettes for John). This is what made the show so great. Between Becker's sarcasm, Margret's snappy comebacks, or just Bob's annoying personality, we find a comedy that all of us can relate to. I wish the original cast would get together and bring the show back on the air, but for now, we will just have to watch the re-runs! The least someone could do is come out with the show on DVD!!!!
  • I just love this show.

This show is hilarious, I LOVE Dr. Becker, Ted Danson is such a good actor, and I think there was better chemistry between him and Nancy Travis (as Chris); she brought more life into the show.

This is one of the few sitcoms that can really make me laugh; our next-door neighbors hear my laughter when I watch this. It's original, it's funny, it's extremely entertaining and I can't believe it's over! One of the best comedies on TV.

It has a very good ensemble of actors, very interesting characters and fantastic storylines and dialogues ... great way to spend half an hour of your time, very relaxing.
  • Hilirous medical comedy better than all other medical shows.

Becker is one of my favourite shows, its a show that makes me come back to see the next episode, and its always great and i just wish that more people gave it a chance and let it have more seasons. People say that this show was good until reggie left but i thought that it still stood tall over other comedy shows, ok chris might not have been as good as reggie but she was still funny, and when they introduced hector is just went from awesome to utter brilliant becuase i think that hector is awesome he was so funny in every episode.
  • This show needs a couple of glances.

When I first got into watching Becker, I despised the show. I could never understand how a comedy could be made about a doctor who hates everybody and everything about his life. However, I got back into it recently with it being in late-night syndication and on TBS, and I realized that my original opinions on it were misleading. The show has turned me into a fan- it's funny, smart, and one of the better shows of recent years. It's a shame that CBS didn't have enough faith in it to keep it in its Monday night, post-Raymond timeslot for its entire run (you tell me who watches comedies on Sunday night that aren't on Fox), but nonetheless. 5 seasons was too short. This could have at least gone on for 2 more years.
  • This was a truly great show!

I really loved this show. Ted Danson is so funny no matter what character he is playing. Dr. Becker was so different from Sam Malone of Cheers and yet tes was stilll so brilliante. I really liked this show and the Reggie character was hot! why they tool her off, that is just not very smart. the blind guy Jake was very good and adting blind, and Bob and Margatete and Linda very so funny. This should be considered one of the best shows of this decade, I will miss it. thank goodness for reruns! Maybe Becker will be released on DVD soon...
< 1 2 3