Becker

CBS (ended 2004)

Becker Fan Reviews (77)

• One of TV's best ever. I still watch daily on WGN and Universal HD. I am in search of aDVD set!

The scripts wrer incredible, considering only three regular sets. Reminds of another Danson was in. You get to know the entite cast, personally. I trully believe this will be one of those to always on TV somewhere each and everyday. It seemed to so real. All of the characters certainly had their own personality. And just when you thought you had seen it all, here comes Chris.This happens to one of TV shows that I never watched during it's regular broadcasts. I only became addicted to it after syndication. Maybe because of fans like me is one of the true reasons that we lost it far to early. Come Ted Danson, I know that you have a couple more left!
  • Razor sharp comedy starring Ted Danson might not appeal to everyone, given its focus on a cantankerous and highly grumpy doctor, but the script is incredibly strong.

Becker is a traditional style sitcom, much in the blend of the popular ones which went before it like Frasier and Cheers. Like Frasier, it stars a major actor from Cheers, in this case Ted Danson, but otherwise shares absolutely nothing with it and certainly isn\'t a follow-up. The only other thing the 2 share is that the star of Frasier, Kelsey Grammar, also features in a cameo in an episode of it.

The situation part of the \'sitcom\' of Becker is that John Becker, a slightly bitter and abrasively outspoken doctor has set up a crummy practice in the middle of New York\'s Bronx. Suffering the \'morons\' of regular society makes his attitude decline by the day and he constantly preaches his rants at Reggie\'s Diner where both his best friend Jake (Who\'s blind) runs a newspaper stall, and Bob the amiable pest hang out.

Becker also lives alone in a fairly seedy apartment where the rest of the block\'s residents universally loathe him.

Add his long suffering surgery assistant Margaret who\'s basically his rock, and the dipsy \'receptionist\' Linda and you have the overall picture.

Sure, this doesn\'t perhaps sound all that original or even inspiring to any degree on paper, but bring it to life with a sharp script and quality actors and you have one of the finest comedies it\'s been my personal pleasure to witness.

To say Danson *is* Becker is the understatement of the year. He has created a character with complete life here, and embodies what he represents absolutely perfectly. His line delivery is totally spot on and he commands every scene such is his definite presence. Now when looking at him I see Becker, and not Sam Malone.

The other characters are pretty good as well, even Bob, who after simply getting on our nerves to start with eventually grows on you. Jake is extremely well played by Alex Desert as well, managing to portray a fairly decent level of vulnerability while trying to be as tough as possible. The only matter of taste with a blind character in a sitcom are the inevitable jokes at the expense of said blindness. Subsequently, it goes without saying that Becker is *not* PC - at times some of the gags can be slightly offensive, but nothing is ever truly over the score.

However, next to Becker the best character was the simply fantastic Reggie, who was played by Terry Farrel up until she was bizarrely fired based on reasons of \'creative direction\' late on in the show\'s run by the producers. She gave the show a touch of glamour, but we identified with her because she never seemed to have anything go for her, and yet soldiered on in a state of light despair. Farrel captured her brilliantly, and her loss was felt big time. The replacement, Chris, was OK, but simply nowhere near in the league of Reggie.

However, this is an aside; the strength of Becker is and was the quality of the script. The dialogue was, at times, acidly delicious with razor sharp wit. In fact, most of the time it was like this. Becker\'s constant rantings might be repetitive, but they were always funny because we can actually relate to the aspects of life which got his goat up so much.

Furthermore, while he was shown as a cantankerous old git, Danson gave him plenty of self-deprecating moments too. Not only did we laugh at what he said, we laughed at his situations and the amusing body language he emitted regularly.

His practice was also a massive character in itself, with patients combining hypochondria and hemorrhoids much to the amusement of the viewer.

The other characters got plenty of hilarious lines as well, so this wasn\'t just the Ted Danson show, and consequently it was an extremely well-rounded show and not relying on any one character. But, as Farrel\'s absence later on showed, all of the main characters were vital. Bob was also written out for season 6, and his replacement Hector simply didn\'t fit in at all.

Despite these drawbacks, up till the chopping and changing, the show ran seamlessly and hilariously smoothly. It\'s a testament to the script that even *without* the main characters, although we didn\'t like their replacements, they still made us laugh.

Overall it\'s a superb comedy, and it\'s a rank pity it wasn\'t more levied by the Americans, many of whom seemed oblivious to its existence.

Said one: \"Becker? The German tennis guy? I didn\'t even know that he had his own show,\" \"Is it on BBC America or something?\"...

• Becker is a classical favorite of mine and I feel was ahead of it's time.

For the late 90's Becker was ahead of its time in it's comedy style. It more suits the new generation. I feel that Becker should of never been dropped and it was far superior to Everybody Loves Raymond in it's wit and comedy. It's sophisticated and blunt comedy combines wit and anger in Beckers amazing rants that the show is so accustomed to. Along with the great supporting characters, Jake Malinak being my favorite, the show brought the characters to life because they all had flaws that they must overcome. Something that is very rarely seen in a sitcom of our generation.
  • Once a great show that degressed in late seasons.

Becker started out so promising, with well-written, entertaining episodes that really showed the contrast between Becker's curmudgeonly ways and his abilities as a healer. Somewhere down the line, they decided to make Becker an idiot, the angry brother of Sam Malone. It's depressing to think about. Becker was once a very smart character who could be a jerk because he could back himself up and became a character who was just a jerk. Where did they go wrong.

The leaving of a series regular is usually a portent of bad things, so when Reggie and Bob left at the end of the series, it truly became the end of the series. Even the show's final episode could not reach beyond its slide. The point of the show was to show that not only was John a good doctor, but deep down, he was a good person. The producers and writers forgot that. It's sad, in a way, to see the show go down like that. But I guess that's life. Well, enjoy the older episodes, and avoid the new ones with a passion.
  • Becker is the kinda guy i want to be he tells it like it is.

Becker is a crotchtey old guy living in the bronx. he goes to his favorite diner every morning and rants about the news and such. He's also a doctor who has a small practice with his long time nurse Margret and the ditzy, But HOT assistant Linda he's just trying to live his life and tell it like it is. I like Becker He is the kinda guy i wanna be a guy who tells it like it like the corrupt post office or the goverment. He's funny as hell too, but inside his hard outshell he has a heart of gold. The comedy on this show is real and not fake everything becker says is funny weaether it's the IRA or just some old lady beating him up he"s Becker and thats why this show is funny.
  • Becker rocks!!!

I wish they would bring Becker back. The show is so hilarious! Bob just cracks me up. I am a big fan of Ted Danson's and he played John Becker so great. I enjoy watching reruns of it on TV, and I hope they release the seasons out on DVD. I would definitely buy it. The whole cast plays their parts so great. I love watching Becker. It always makes me laugh and I wish the show had lasted longer than it did. My favourite character is John Becker. My favourite parts of the show were when Becker goes on about one thing, it's so funny!!! This show was a fantastic and funny comedy sitcom.
  • A very funny show about a doctor called Becker in New York.

This was a great and funny comedy about a doctor named Becker in New York. It is always funny to see becker interacting with his nurse margaret and other characters, some of the situations he gets into and what he goes on about is really funny.

Becker has his own practice and thinks that life basically sucks, he his hardly ever happy and thinks that, in his words "the insidious forces of nature are always out to get me".

I wish this show had gone on for longer!

Margaret is Dr. Becker's nurse, and acts as his conscience from time to time telling him if he is doing anything wrong. Linda is the assisstant who most of the time has no clue what she is doing, sometimes with funny consequences.
    Jake is one of Beckers oldest friends, he is a blind, African American man who owns a newspaper stand in a local diner.
    The diner was owned for a while by Reggie, who was a woman down on her luck who was running her late fathers diner. Reggie was a good balance to beckers cynicism. Later on Reggie left and Chris took over the diner.

Becker may be a doctor with a bad bedside manner but he would do everything he could for his patients, sometime going as far as insulting them to make a point.

This show is really funny and the funniest thing about it is Ted Dansons portrayal of Dr. Becker.
  • Pretty decent.

I have to say that a show like Becker is underrated. It had some funny bits here and there that were actually original bits. I liked the characters and the storylines most of the time. But I thought that the last couple seasons were a bit tired and unoriginal. I liked the chemistry in the show, but it seemed like it was lost after certain actors and actresses left, such as Teri Farrell. I think for the most part the show did a decent job of staying to script and not trying to emulate other sitcoms. Overall, this show was quite decent. Thank you.
  • This was an amazing series. I thought Becker was the only character on Tv who was more honest to people around him than he was to himself. This was just a stroke of Genius!

This was an amazing series. I thought Becker was the only character on TV who was more honest to people around him than he was to himself. This was just a stroke of Genius! There was something about Becker that everyone was able to connect to. He was obnoxious, he was unbearable and yet, he was lovable. I cannot say that this series was even although, it lost a bit of steam towards the end but then, the writers towards the later season were not sure of they wanted Becker to reform or not. They could not reform him without losing the charm of the series and they could not let him be, because things were getting stale. They tried new characters but not the most easy job to pit any actor against the genius of Ted Dansen. I sorely miss the series but I know it is a large part of me now. I was able to live my frustrations and my insecurities with John and it made my life more bearable at times.
  • In my opinion, the best ever television comedy that is a real-life, down to Earth series that each of us can relate to.

This is one of the great television shows I have ever watched. The storylines were wonderful and the characters always made the show interesting. John Becker is the voice in each of us that we have to keep inside because it's not socially acceptable. Becker says what each of us think but can't or just don't have the guts to say. Ted Danson is a wonderful actor and his role as Dr. John Becker is his best yet. The only fault with the series is that it was taken off of the air way to soon. Thank God for reruns!
  • This show is amazing! It is very cool! Quite amusing indeed! HOW could anyone dislike this?!

This show is very good. My favorite character is easily Jake tied with Bob. Bob is very good. I really like the episode where Jake dates the white blind woman. The result between Becker and Chris when Reggie leaves is also pretty good. The one where Becker recieves the ashes of his patient was very good as well. I really liked the one with Linda's friend, Linda. Becker's super comes VERY close to being my favorite character. He would be if Bob and Jake were not my favorites. It is very hilarious when everyone, even the super, tries to convince Becker to take Reggie to the fundraiser, or whatever it was. Still can't remember.
  • Becker is classic comedy that can't die ever so for that i'm so sad coz the show ended and surprise .. i love becker and the show in my opinion could take good 3 more season's because it very funny and the cast is wonderful

i'm so surprise to see that becker is ended so what the reason for that and why !! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    is it becase the viewers or the story line or what the reason coz alot of people love that show and want to now the big important reason that take from us the thing that we love so much ... becker is funny and nice man in his way and the ironic thing is that he is a doctor that mean that he suppose to be more relax and nice to people and look out to his health...that why we love becker for all what i mention's and more
  • It's like Dr. House without the supreme intelligence, and accross the river.

Although I always thought Ted Danson played, Narcissistic, Dumbass, Sexaholics. I.E. (anything in the 1980's) I truly believe he found his niche with Becker. Dr. Becker is the opposite of Sam Malone. Becker is my Idol. He is too smart for his own good, yet he lacks the emotional intelligence to come out way ahead of everyone else. Unlike Dr. House, Becker actually has a soft spot for certain things and people, which is usually his downfall. Like Al Bundy, Beckers wins are few and far between. But he is mostly right about everything. He tells it lkike it is and I love him for it.
  • BECKER SHOULD BE PUT OUT ON DVD!!

Becker is my personal favorite show..i watch all the reruns that have been air on tv lately..but what I don't understand is if they put Cheers out on DVD why can't they put Becker? I work as a sales person at a Media store and I have lost count on how many people have been asking for this program. I know one thing for sure..it will sell out so fast..Many people love that show including myself..I beleive they should BRING IT BACK!!!!
  • One of the best commedies CBS has ever had. Dr. Becker was the Dr. House of his time. The show had great writing and hilarious characters. As soon as it got popular, CBS moved it from it's strong Monday night slot to Wednesday night and left it to die.

One of the best commedies CBS has ever had. Dr. Becker was the Dr. House of his time. The show had great writing and hilarious characters. As soon as it got popular, CBS moved it from it's strong Monday night slot to Wednesday night and left it to die. It's not too late to bring it back CBS!
  • One of my favorite shows.

The show was absolutely hilarious. I like the way that most of the time Becker is cruel yet hilarious, yet when he needs to be he can be some what compationate. Though it doesn't last long! I especially love the way that they'll have the other characters just sittin at the diner and talking about something and Becker will come through the door yelling or complaining about something.
  • doctor help this show is good

I haven't seen this show in years, but i remember it being great. Maybe I might change my mind the next time i see it but who knows the next time ill see this on TV. I remember liking that blind black guy i think his name was Jake, and i also liked that greasy Italian guy Bob, and of course i liked the main character Becker, he was an A hole just like my old doctor and probably like most other peoples doctors, probably one of the reasons this show was a hit, finally 100 words no more rambling.
  • Becker was a great show that unfortunately not many people seem to understand. At a passing glance, the show seemed like a pretty lame idea, but if you really pay attention. The show is wonderfully written and the cast really plays well off of each other.

To fully understand this show, I think you have to be a little more open minded. The idea of this show and how it revolves around a complaining doctor doesn't seem like much of a show, but I urge anyone who dismissed it to give it another chance. It has some really great writing and also deals with some moral issues as well. Deep down, Becker is a good person who cares about people, especially the ones that are closest to him.

If you like Everybody Loves Raymond, Seinfeld, Wings, Fraiser, etc., then I think you would like this show too.

This is a great sitcom that deserves to be watched. One of my all-time favorites.
  • A hilarious sitcom that cracks me up

Dr. John Becker is a Harvard Medical Graduate. He owns a small practice in the Bronx, NY where he treats patients and goes to a local diner around the corner despite the awful food. So this might seem like a funny, feel-good sitcom. WRONG!
    Becker is a Harvard med graduate and a doctor but he's a miserable human being and has been divorced twice. Every morning he goes to the diner around the corner from his practice and complains about anything that bothers him: current events, the city's way of living, and just anything that ticks him off. Always listening to his rants are the diner's owner, Reggie, a former model who is back in school and Jake, a blind man who runs a newstand in side the diner.
    But it doesn't end there. Also listening to his bickerings are the people who work for him. Maragret, a married nurse who's outspoken and headstrong and Linda, a nonexperienced assisting nurse who goofs off at work and talks on and on about her many dates with odd guys.
    Also who later join in Becker's rants are Chris, a divorcee who Becker likes, Bob, an annoying divorced swindler who likes Reggie and becomes Becker's superintendent, and Hector, an unemployed guy who rekindles his lost friendship with Jake.
    However, deep inside Becker's good. He just hides it well.
    Becker is a hilarious sitcom. It constantly cracks me up with off the wall laughter. In some ways I think Becker's personality gave way to Dr. Greory House's personality (hit drama 'House') because they are both mean and miserable people, but deep down have good in them...somewhere.
  • I love this show, but they were wrong to replace Terry Farrell.

I absolutely love this show, but they were totally wrong in replacing Terry Farrell. Reggie was the best character by far.
    Anyway, I still watched the show although I didn't enjoy the later seasons without her, however Shawnee Smith as Linda was great =]
    Ted Danson is an funny man, although he gets a bit predictable. The character of Bob was so funny =]
    Jake was a good character too. I didn't like the character of Margaret too much. But as I said before Reggie was definately the best! I think this show should be released on DVD, I would definatly buy it.
    All in all, this is definaltly a show to watch!
  • Anyone who knows a doctor outside of work knows they can be a bit grumpy to say the least. This show captures that not-so-happy nature and is able to make it seem funny.

Anyone who knows a doctor outside of work knows they can be a bit grumpy to say the least. This show captures that not-so-happy nature and is able to make it seem funny. Fair warning though, this humor may not fit everyone as it can be a bit dry. With a variety of snide remarks quick one liners, this show is able to instill humor in a place I would not have thought of by myself. The cast, led by Ted Danson blends well together and has a very solid level of acting ability. while many of the topics and gripes may be repeated they do not tend to give off a sense of "dang, this again". Each and every episode continues to provide solid viewing experiences throughout the series.

My final review: A good show with a good cast that noone really knows about or gave a chance.
  • Can you say "sarcasm"?

This show is one of the most bitter and sarcastic shows on TV. So many great one liners and comebacks. Not to mention all of the killer irony. This is a series that I have just been getting into lately, biut is is seriusly amazing. I LOVE Shawnee Smith; and her character on here is no exception. I actualy had no idea that she was on this show until I started watching, and I was really surprised, because I was mainlt familiar to her work in the Saw series. This show is great, and comes with tons of great comebacks and quotes. Surprisingly not as popular as it should be though.
  • Before there was House...

I never watched Becker when it originally aired. I started watching it in re runs and found it amusing.

Becker is a doctor who doesn't have the best bed side manners.
    He is rude, he smokes, and he complains a lot.

The supporting cast is funny too. The ditz at the front desk, the blind newspaper stand man, and the store owner are all great.
  • Smart Comedy!

I just started watching this show just a year ago, and I simply love it. My wife gave me the DVD Collection of this show as a birthday gift which she purchased at MemorylaneDVD .com and since then I got hooked with this show. I didn't knew this kind of show ever existed! Ted Danson is magnificent as the main character, and I think he is refreshingly hilarious and talented actor. Shawnee Smith also makes a awesome idealist in portraying the character Linda. BECKER would be simply described as keen humor, smart and idealistic lessons in life which are very realistic and, perfect storylines, need I say more?!
  • I love it

This is one of my top 10 shows I use to stay up till 11pm to watch this show every friday but then they cancled it and I miss it sooooo much. Sure the last season wasn't so great but so what this show was the funniest medical show even better than House. When people say that becker started to go downhill after Reggi left I disagree because Chris was good for becker she was nice and optimistic while becker was pessimistic and angry she completed him and made him show his other side besides angry heart less mean becker. jk
  • I loved this show

This is one of my top 10 shows I use to stay up till 11pm to watch this show every friday but then they cancled it and I miss it sooooo much. Sure the last season wasn't so great but so what this show was the funniest medical show even better than House. When people say that becker started to go down hill after Reggi left I disagree because Chris was good for becker she was nice and optimistic while becker was pessimistic and angry she completed him and made him show his other side besides angry heart less becker.
  • Finally! Someone I can relate to!

I absolutely love this show. I can completely relate to Dr. Becker. We pretty much agree on everything! This show has hilarious, diverse characters and good plot lines. I watch it every day. It is one of the very few shows that I can actually stand to watch re-runs of. This is one of those shows that you'll probably like if you're not really that much of a people person, but to my fellow anti-socials, this show is great and you will understand and enjoy it entirely. Yeah, okay, I'm finished... but there's a 100 word minimum. Two Words. Bam!
  • A really funny show

• Yeah...

I used to watch Becker every week, without knowing how really good the show was. Except last season, after Reggie left the show. Chris was weird and didn't add anything to the show. Ted Danson is great and did John better than any other actor could do. He'd deserve a new shot.
  • The most wacky sitcom I've seen in a long time. I can't find the supstitute for it, now that is gone.

Show about a doctor who says everything that we think, but don't say. He is cranky, he smokes, he lashes at people, but you still love him. Now that is gone, I can't find a decent comedy to watch, because I compare it all to Becker, and they don't come even close. Please, make something wacky NOW!!!
< 1 2 3