Behind The Music

Sunday 9:00 PM on VH1 Premiered Aug 17, 1997 In Season

thefanof

Behind The Music Fan Reviews (10)

• One of my favorites.

Great information. Love it.
  • There once was a time when VH1 was something more than a wasteland of mindless drek aimed at teens who have the attention span of a sound bite. Some say it is a legend. But I was there. I saw it all! This was it's finest hour.

Once upon a time, there existed a superb cable channel called VH1. It was a breath of fresh air from MTV, which had left music behind in favor of Beavis and Butthead and teen gameshows. This station would truly explore the wonders of music history. It was intelligent. It had a slogan...Music First. It has been long gone for some time now, replaced by more intelligent fare like Richest celebreties, red carpets, hottest divorces, hairstyles, Flava Flav. Arrrrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!! And the ultimate joke that reflects just where our young society (the main moneymaking commodity in the world ) is today?...VH1 is prospering and thriving. Um...Can you say, like.... idiotic, mindless sheep? But it once WAS something worthwhile! I was there! I saw it! It did exist! This was it's finest hour. I have always been a major music fan. I've been collecting my music since I was five years old, no lie. I have thousands of records, (anybody remember those), which i refuse to get rid of..many long since put aside in favor of my CD's. For as long as i can remember, I've been obsessed, not only with listening to the music, but studying the artists and the history behind the music. Since 1955, the music called Rock and Roll has shaped , molded and warped every conceivable aspect of American culture and beyond. It influences and dictates what we do, how we love, how we think, dress, talk, drive...on an and on. Music, beyond televison, movies and books, is the most powerful medium in our society..and indeed, our history. By the same token, much of American and world history has influenced the growth and flux of the medium. The eddies and currents have been rippled by events in the personal lives of these performers, poets and troubedors . I've always been fascinated with the big bangs, short circuits, and such that have come to blend together over the years to form the history of Rock and Roll. This exceptional program focused on the incredible performers...living legends. people who were once normal.. like you and I, who created incredible music. What were these people like? Where did they come from. What brought them to a place where they were affecting peoples lives with their notes and words? Was there a plan? Or did things just happen? What are the stories behind the triumphs and tragedies. Behind the Music provided these answers in a deep, compelling, and often riveting way. From self-abusive metal gods, to forgotten teen Idols, In band fights, careers that were tragicly cut short, to focusing on certain years and events in the Rock and roll timeline..Vh1 spared no questions and little expense to make sure every person and event was covered thoroughly, and edited and paced in such a way that the viewer would easily and willingly wait through the commercial break to see the next act. As stated in the summery above, VH1 joined forces with the record corporations, effectively abandoning established music legends, and the wealth of performers and stories still available and not yet covered...and opted instead to go with with younger, fresher artists, to cover the younger demographic..and faster cash flow. The results, not suprisingly to anyone with half a brain, were dismal. These artists had virtually no history, and nowhere near the substance to create the kind of quality episodes that had gone before. Behind the Music had become now for VH1, the lowest priority on their list...and with a new company running the show, came a total revamping of format, and quality. VH1 has virtually nothing to do with music anymore, yet still, amazingly still maintains the "Music First" slogan. It truly baffles the mind that the tried and true creedo of.. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" was just ignored as it was. Behind the Music was an emmy-winning, critically aclaimed show several times over. And given the deep dank levels the show (When it's produced..there have been no new episodes since 2006) has the network has sunk to.. it is unlikely, if the show ever does return, that it will ever see the kind of quality that it had in it's glory days. I don't think it's audience could handle it, having been exposed to such mind-numbing trash for so long. And i see no signs of any DVD sets coming out in the near future. It's a shame really. But..money talks...and we all know what walks. Shame on you , Vh1.
  • behind the music is a documetnary series that talks about popular artists / bands's lives inside ond outside the music industry.

behind the music is a documentary series that talks about popular artists / band's lives inside and outside the music industry . really the same thing as i stated above :P . anyways , behind the music is a very good show and interesting to watch . it is interesting to hear about some of my many favorite bands ; kiss , ratt , pantera , motley crue etc . ( im a'n 80 and early 90's metal fan , basically ). so if you wanna watch an interesting show talikng about your favorite artist / band's story watch this show .
  • one of the best shows vh1 has to offer!!!

Behind the music is one of my favorite shows! Being a music fan as i am this is the show to watch. mostly when thay would profile one of my favorite bands and when thay would profile certain years when big musical events happend. The show did come on a standerd season, fall through spring. Now its just random. Vh1 hasnt had a new episode in over a year the last being about pantera and ratt. I hope thay didnt stop make the show because it is indeed the best show vh1 has had(next to the i love the 90's and 80's)!!!
  • Amazing show

This show starts from the beginning of the ban or singer giving us a look into how they got to where they are now. They cover everything from drug problems, death and members leaving and using interviews with family,friends and the musicians totell how it happened. Behind the music is an amazing show.
  • who else can they cover?

when this show first came around it was one of my favorites. they did shows on people i had long forgot about. i think they have covered every popular artist that has came along in the last twenty years. the artists that come along to day i doubt will have the longevity to have their own episode unless it is about their failures.
  • Totally Dig This Show!

Being that VH1 has failed to produce more new shows of the series, I love the show gives you an inside look at the artist(s) on the show. It really gives you a deeper look at the artist and their personal struggles and highs. Never have I seen a show that really let's the public know more about their favorite artist like this show does. And the voice of the guy that does the show, sends chills up my back!
  • Behind the Music profiles some of musics favourite and most influential artists in muscial history. Getting a behind the scenes at what really happened and a great look at the music we love.

I love this show, mainly for the reason that I just love music. Its a great experience to learn what I never knew about my favourite artists and the music i love. Its because of "Behind the Music" that i stumbled upon my now favourite band Guns N' Roses, "Behind the Music" gave me an indepth look at the band and the music, which is amazing. Learing more about the music makes love for it possible, to love something you must know it, and this show does just that.
  • Show that exposes the ups and downs of musicians during their career

Do not know if this show was inspired on Rob Reiner's movie "This is Spinal Tap" or vice versa, or do not even know if they have something to do with each other, but it is definitely what Rob Reiner wanted to classify as a Rockumentary, eventhough some of the guest are not precisely Rock. But this is a great show for future musicians (some have accepted that this show has inspired them on focusing on saving their money before throwing it to the toilet) and music lovers
  • I think Behind the music is a good show.

I think Behind the music is a good show because it tell us things about the stars that we never knew.We wouldn't even know if they didn't say.I mean it tell us about the things they went thought before they ever became famous.We think it easy to become famous but.... it's not.It can be very hard.Sometime you don't make the cut.No matter if you wanna be an actor or musician it's gonna. be hard.So this show tell us what it was like for the stars before they were famous.I think cuz of it the show is great.
VH1CL