A Being Human Community
Syfy (ended 2014)

Being Human S04E12: "House Hunting"

OH MY GOD WTF JUST HAPPENED???

Awesome happened, my friends. Awesome. I'm actually marginally sad that we didn't just dive right into the series finale this week, because "House Hunting," despite sagging a bit in the middle, brought it so hard, just the way the penultimate episode of a TV series ought to. 

But first, the saggy bits: 

I really don't care about these kids' problems anymore, so the in-depth psychological evaluations a la Ramona's manipulations didn't do much for me. Blah blah Josh struggles to control his inner-wolf. Blah blah Aidan inadvertently kills everyone he loves. These aren't new issues. At least Sally got to be all sassy and defiant for a little bit. Oh, and Nora's preggers! Who knew? (I think we all knew.)

Nora being with pup set off a whole mess of emotional trauma during her eval with Dr. Emily—Josh's drunken sister, or rather, Ramona's version of Josh's drunken sister. I feel like Nora and Sally both got the short end of the stick when it came to guest therapists in the crazy house. From the jump, those two should have been struck by the implausibility of their encounters, and to Sally's credit, she was. Nora's debate with "Emily" was tiresome. 

It's a credit (I guess) to Being Human's genre that two dead characters randomly showing up in the middle of the monster house seemed more likely than the appearance of live guests, and I'll admit that for a second there, I fell for the ruse with Henry. Sally and Aidan and their newfound lurve are in quite the predicament with only one episode left. Sure, they can shack up in an abandoned trailer for the time being and I'm sure it'll be very nice at first, but the fact is, she's dead and he's immortal-ish, and while both existences lend themselves to an indefinite extended "lifespan," they're not the same thing and Sally and Aidan currently can't even touch one another. I totally bought into the "Hey Aidan, kill yourself and be a ghost and haunt happily ever after with sexy Sally it'll be awesome!" plan because, well, Aidan kind of sucks (literally, figuratively, pretty much every interpretation of "sucks" that there is) at life right now and that ending seemed like the sort of twisted "win-win" Being Human would grant those two. 

But alas, the vampire afterlife is still pretty much the worst thing ever. Sally and Aidan are no closer to a solution, and in fact may be even further away from happily ever after given the whole mess of crazy that went down following the big reveal about just who and what Ramona is: a child sacrifice to one of Satan's besties who became the evil of the house personified. Knowing that she's been lurking in the walls of the house this entire time definitely casts Being Human's previous seasons in a different light. The endless deaths, the worst possible things happening at every opportunity; Aidan and Josh basically picked the worst possible site for their great "experiment."

The introduction of Ramona wasn't seamless, particularly with regard Sally and her own connection to the house and the question of why the secret room went undiscovered for so long, or even Aidan and his extensive experience with all manner of supernatural WTFery, even outside of vampirisim. But Ramona serves to (potentially) tie the series together in a neat package at a time when we absolutely needs it. I'm always nervous about series finales that weren't necessarily meant to be series finales—though it sounds like Being Human had some sort of warning despite the rest of us finding out, like, a month ago. It's just that Dark Angel burned me when I was teenager and I'm still really bitter about it. I crave completion. 

So uh, how 'bout that ending this week, huh? I was wondering when we were going to get to Sally's unfortunate vision of a future where Aidan snaps Josh's neck like a pencil in Saturday-morning detention. Now I'm wondering how we're going to clean up that mess and deal with all the other drama, with just one more episode set to air. SO SCARED. AND SO EXCITED. How about you? How you holding up? It's been a long and loony ride these past four seasons, but next week is it. See you there!

NOTES

– Beatrice and Ramona. Aww. It was cute until it ended with a homicide. 

Is Kenny for real dead, or was he just another one of Ramona's angst-o-visions? 

– Aidan killed Bishop, Kenny tried to kill Aidan. It's a "circle of life kind of thing." Vampires are so messed up. 

– Aidan loves the popcorn setting on the microwave because it reheats blood perfectly. I'm gonna miss these rando throwaway lines that make me laugh so hard. 

– And on that note, what's the most WTF thing you've ever tried to microwave? (Plz no hamster horror stories.) During the 2001 anthrax thing, my mom tried to de-anthrax the mail and set the kitchen on fire. Oooooops. 

– What are your predictions for next week's series finale? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/7/2014

Season 4 : Episode 13

33 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am going to be glad there seems to be some sort of traumatic ending in the end that maybe is a good resolution. I am sort of dreading something though. Okay, the 'original' Being Human ended with them, and trust me I could be wrong here, fighting the devil who thrived on the sheer volume of blood and mayhem that could exist when vampires and werewolves were fighting with each other and hated the experiment and what it represented but was threatened by Alex's influence because she could see the devil for what he really was and could be above his influence. Somehow taking a spin on the original spell that Hal and others had used to confine the devil into the old man, the three housemates determined they were willing to sacrifice themselves, did the spell correctly (as opposed to what Hal did years before) and instead they misunderstood and they were all human again. I think.

I am very concerned that something similar will take place here, its like all the pieces are in place, some iteration of evil incarnate - Ramona, Ramona became that way as a result of a ritual curse, so was the devil in that old dude for all those years though I was very sad as to the form he took in the original, I liked that dude. The evil entity thriving on the actual battle between a vampire and werewolf that it is willing to manufacture it and the ghost can see the b.s. and can interfere. Like as far as I understand the magic spell book is still running around in Sally's head, so why can't the same ritual that did this to Ramona happen again. I mean based on the preview it looks like Sally is willing to do something, I am guessing she can suck in herself and Ramona but they end up being redeposited back on earth as humans. I am guessing Sally stops Aiden by jumping into him or whatever. Basically the only thing that makes me think they skip everyone turning into humans is Nora.
More+
Flag
Im such a spaz! I thought THIS one was the final, i sat and watched wondering how it would end. The final scene with Aiden about to break Josh's neck, then to black and the credits rolled.. I was like NO No nooo, WTF yelling at the tv.. lol.like i said, such a spaz!! lmfao..
Flag
i trully don't know why this show is being cancelled ...teen wolf and being human are by far the best shows in tv...ok first season of both of the series where ..meh but then..BAM ..pure perfection !!!loved this episode and i cant w8 (sadly) for the series finale...
Flag
I know Being Human has its low points, but it has been one of my most favorite series. I watch many series but from them there are only few shows that I actually wait and think or talk about during their off time, Being Human is one and I sure am going to miss this.

The ghost house was a neat trick they pulled in a while. I have no clue what end would be like. They will escape leaving the house burn but where will they go? Hopefully their endless troubles will end with the house.

And think of that, I think the two ghosts girls that has been haunting Aidan maybe it was our little evil house too? Well, I am keeping my mind clear from thinking anything for Series Finale.
Flag
I took a break for about a year from this show out of boredom but marathoned it prior to this season's premiere & I've been re-loving it.

My biggest peeve lately is a just little one:
After all this time living in the house, no one looked at it from the outside & wondered what room those extra windows belonged to?

Oh, & when I was a kid, a buddy of mine & I popped a locust in the nuker & instead of it making a mess like we expected, it blew up cleanly within its exoskeleton.
Flag
"After all this time living in the house, no one looked at it from the outside & wondered what room those extra windows belonged to?" Good point..and something I had never even considered lol.
Flag
Writers are supposed to explain stuff like this, but a POSSIBLE explanation is the haunting of the room, itself, had sort of a "don't notice me" spell on it. That's in line with some mystic and haunting mythology.

But, again, it's the writers' job to point stuff like that out if they're going to expose potential plot holes.
Flag
I can roll with the idea of some sort of obfuscation evil house magic with no problem ;)
Flag
Ha ha, I also watched this after How I Met Your Mother, and therefore already wasn't in the best mood - also I was getting very sleepy. So I was mostly pretty frustrated with the episode, though the first ten minutes or so were very cute, and the end was great. But when most of your episode is characters talking to dead-not-even-really-there characters - ugh. And the weird camera action was making my head hurt, I literally had to stop watching and just listen, at one point.

I didn't even really care that much about Kenny's death - I get how it must suck for Aiden, but it's hard for me to care at all that he's dead. That said, I kind of figured that was what was going to bring around the Aiden-killing-Josh moment.

I still have high hopes for the finale and expect it to be awesome - even though I have idea what's going to happen - but this penultimate episode was kind of lame, for me.
Flag
After watching How I Met Your Mother's ending one can only hope that Being Human takes 4 seasons of character growth and utilizes it into a fitting ending. It may not be happy one. Can supernatural shows have a happy ending? But I am hoping it's one that suits who these people have become and doesn't leave us with a bad taste in our mouths. A good show ending is one that makes me want to go back, start from the beginning, and watch the series all the way through again and I truly hope BH accomplishes that.

Flag
Last night, I watched the series finale of How I Met Your Mother....and was highly disgusted with it.

I watched the latest episode of Being Human, with a sour attitude.

So with that in mind of my attitude...

This episode was frustrating to me. I guess it is kind of good to know that the stuff that happened in that house wasn't COMPLETELY all their fault. That the house and its evil personified were the cause of at least some of it.

Kenny dying...not sure if that was really Kenny, after the crap that Ramona just pulled on all of them.

If Kenny did die....then Suzanna got her wish of wanting to make sure that Aiden felt the same pain as she did after killing their son Issac.

I sure hope that they end this show with some hope. I really think that they are going to end it with the theme of "You can't escape who you are. Embrace your nature."

Which means, Aiden becomes the ruler of the Boston vampires. Josh and Nora learn to live with the wolf. Sally accepts that she is dead and can't always fix things and finally, forever, moves on.
More+
Flag
That's the ending I'm hoping for.
Flag
I'm pretty sure that was really Kenny because he compelled Aiden to kill Josh right before he died. I don't think that would've worked if he was an apparition.
Flag
This is definitely the best season of Being Human and I'm loving every minute of it. At first I wasn't feeling Ramona (I don't think kids are scary)... And even though I still don't think she's scary, she is super cray cray and I'll take that! Loved Aiden calling Sally "baby". So cute! And I was waiting for them to finally reveal that Nora was pregnant... I was not surprised, but when you think about it being a werewolf and pregnant is kinda better than being a human and pregnant. The whole sharing your body with a growing fetus thing is cut in half! That has to be seen as a plus... I'm also super happy that Kenny is gone. He was just not doing it for me, but him compelling Aiden right before he died to kill Josh... major D*CK move!

I can't wait for the series (*cries and pulls out hair*) finale!
Flag
I completely agree witth everything you jus said. Ramona is definitely cray cray, and that was totally the real Kenny. I truly hope Aiden manages to fight off the compelling that Kenny laid on him before dying. Most of all the best moment for me was when Aiden called Sally baby too! It just sounded so real and natural, and for me it was a confirmation of Aiden acknowledging his innate feelings that he was trying to push down.
Flag
Are you kidding me: Kids are the scariest!!! But I agree with everything else!!
Flag
I've microwaved plasma. Not blood plasma, though. That would be silly.
Flag
Dark Angel still bothers me to this day. That second season was so fucking awesome and then boom, sorry show you get to end right when everything's super cool. Funnily enough Sam Witwer was in that show for one episode playing one of her mutant siblings that had a number of Vampiric tenancies. Like Being Human it was one of many US show's shot in Vancouver that doesn't take place in Vancouver. Funny how things work out.
Flag
Staff
UGH DARK ANGEL. I've rewatched the whole series a few times since the cancellation and every single time, I approach season 2 and I tell myself that I know what's coming and I should just stop and enjoy it because it was so awesome...and then we get to the "finale" and I get mad all over again.

Sam Witwer, Jensen Ackles, the Vancouver shows are so incestuous and I love it.
Flag
With only one more episode left I think this one was a waste. A lot happened that had nothing do to do with the previous episodes. I think this season will go down as the season of the retcon. And honestly I'm ok with that, but I wish this episode wasn't about a demon girl/house.
Flag
I was so happy when Aiden said "Baby, hold on". Kenny got on my nerves as usual, I was so glad when he died. I can't believe SyFy cancelled this show. Soon as Haven is cancelled I won't have any reason to watch SyFy again.
Flag
I could not agree more with all of your statements. This being cancelled was honestly a huge shock to me. Maybe I just never realized it was ever on the bubble, or that it was winding down. I don't know but it completely caught me off guard. With Haven I've always been prepared for each season to be its last, and always extremely relieved and excited when it's not.
Flag
so GOOD looooved this episode. Season 4 has hands down been the best season of the series. I knew the cliff hanger was coking but I was still annoyed when it happened. I loved that Aiden has finally acknowledged that he has legit feelings for Sally.
Am totally feeling the Romano is the spirit of the house personified plot. At first I didn't care for the character, but I absolutely get it and love it.
Best scene was when they were arguing overbthe being human mascot (the white dog).
I'm really gonna miss this show.
Flag
I'm going to miss the dog. I've got find me one of those.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members