A Being Human Community
Syfy (ended 2014)
Let me begin by saying this is not intended to be a full review, but it felt so wrong to come to this board and see that there was no review for arguably the best episode of Being Human.

Everything about this episode was fantastic. I love time travel and the idea of alternate timelines so this really worked for me.

Sally firstly stops Danny from killing her by possessing herself on the night of her death. That scene was perfect because in the moment you weren't quite sure if her efforts would be futile and he would kill her anyway. But when she took him down and walked away I cheered out loud!

When her friend took her to the hospital she was concerned about changing the timeline, which is why she didn't want Nora to help her. What happened to that concern?

The next scene is 6 months later and she is basically squatting in the house so that Josh and Aiden can move in when they are ready.

I loved how she stopped Aiden from eating Rebecca and truthfully it was a welcomed saved that I initially condoned. But knowing the rules of time travel I should have known better and so should have Sally.

Now, let's talk about the best part of the episode...they finally gave us a taste of Aiden and Sally. I have never watched the source material for Being Human, but I do know that the pair become a couple and it was always a bit of disappointed for me that we never got that relationship on this side of the pond. Well the writers found a way, and I loved it.

Watching them fall in love was the best part of the series for me. I felt like I was being rewarded for sticking with them through everything--particularly the really rough parts of season 3.

When Aiden told Sally he loved her it was better than when he told Kat or even Seren from season 1. He genuinely meant it, and he was worried about her. This is why I knew that they would use Sally as the catalyst for Aiden's downfall.

Josh unfortunately got the short end of the stick with the alternate timeline as he lost Nora, but if Sally had not barged in on them right when they were about to get their doggy style on then Nora would have gotten pregnant like she was supposed to and they could've progressed as they should have.

While the wolves and vamps were fighting in the final scene I knew it was going to end in Sally's death or everyone's I'm just glad that they didn't go that route. Aiden's mourning at the end was perfect. He called her baby and grieved in the most natural way although everything about their relationship was unnatural.

What do you think?

Did you love it, like it or hate it?

When Sally comes back as a ghost do you think Aiden will try to hold on to their relationship?

This is gearing up toward a great series finale I can feel it.
36 Comments
Comments (36)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Mar 13, 2014
Let me start by saying I LOVED this episode. hands down my fave. Loved seeing the Aiden, Sally relationship, but the thing that really bothered me was that sally kept saying this is how things are supposed to be, but the minute she saved herself she should have realized that nothing was going to be the same. Things would have gone a lot smoother if she realized this and stopped trying to get their old timeline back. It's not like that timeline was much better. This timeline involved a lot less death, and if she would have butted out of Josh's relationship with Nora, things would not have ended with them.
Flag
Mar 11, 2014
My take on it was, even though Sally had good intentions her foresight removed something special.

In the original timeline, Aiden and Josh had to prop each other up during their hard times and that formed a brotherly bond that grew very strong over the months/years; it was one of the whole reasons they decided to move in together. This obviously changed the two of them: Josh became more independent, Aiden started to care for a human and later a wolf, Aiden was able to learn to SOMEWHAT stand up against the peer pressure of the vamps

Sally changing the timeline with her knowledge pretty much put them on easy mode. They bypassed way too many of their struggles so they didn't have the chance to learn to deal with stuff on their own. By protecting them like a mother hen, she preventing her chicks to grow.

Flag
Mar 10, 2014
I really enjoyed this episode (especially the Sally/Aiden bits because I have always kind of seen that here, even more so than with Annie and Mitchell which seemed to go from flirting to heavy very quickly). But one timeline issue, and I will confess, as the how Nora becomes a werewolf story is pretty much exactly how Nina became a werewolf, I might have my shows confused. I sort of thought our Nora was actually pregnant when she was scratched and then they (U.S. showrunners) were fearful because they had just watched what happened with said baby, which wasn't around when Nina was scratched, was the jump the shark moment of the original. I mean, I don't remember if Nora lost the baby because the werewolf ness or something connected to her own damage, but that was my only pause.
Flag
Mar 12, 2014
Nora's whole pregnancy/miscarriage happened before she got turned into a werewolf.... unlike Nina's from the UK version. I think the reason she lost the baby was because it was supernatural, but she wasn't. At least that's my guess since they introduced that couple who had a werewolf baby this season. The baby grew fast and I don't think a non-werewolf could handle that.

That's also probably why she didn't become a werewolf in this timeline. The baby/miscarriage brought Nora and Josh closer together and made her care about him a lot, which put her in the area when he changed and got her scratched. Sally interrupted the moment she got pregnant and it caused a ripple effect on the relationship Josh had with Nora.
Flag
Mar 12, 2014
Yeah, I know all that, but even in the new timeline, Nora would have been pregnant and maybe/maybe not lost the baby (Josh and his neuroticness was causing a lot of stress at the time, so it may or may not have had to do with the fact the baby was part werewolf).
Flag
Mar 12, 2014
Nora wasn't pregnant in the new timeline because Sally interrupted them before they finished having sex.... No finish, no baby.
Flag
Mar 12, 2014
Oh yeah, I forgot about that part of the scene.
Flag
Mar 08, 2014
Loved the episode, especially the direction and editing. Sally has been irritating me this season with her complete disregard for the consequences of using her magic, and again with trying to affect what happened to her. What's the first rule of time traveling? But then I thought about what I would realistically do in her shoes. Of COURSE I'm going to get emotional watching myself get murdered and try to do something to prevent it. So, I can't exactly hate her. I still think Sally and Adien are weird, I guess because I never saw the will they/wont they, and I'm upset about Josh but DAMN I haven't been this thoroughly compelled for an entire ep of Being Human in a while. Great stuff.
Flag
Mar 11, 2014
Yeh, practical knowledge and saying "Don't change ANYTHING" is one thing. But seeing a loved one (or even yourself) getting hurt or die is another... it would take a lot of willpower to prevent yourself from interfering. And considering it caught her by surprise "OMG THIS IS THE MINUTE IT HAPPENS" that can blow away willpower.

But as to your overall thesis... yeh you'd think she'd learn that her meddling with magic has only made things worse. She screwed up Josh's sister and almost started a riot, I IMAGINE she's awoken whatever force is haunting the home, she turned Josh into a relatively freaky werewolf, etc. While the Zombie thing wasn't EXACTLY her fault it still caused a whole lot of trouble. Even her witch mentor said "STOP DOING S**T, YOU'RE CAUSING COSMIC TROUBLE" but she keeps on trucking.
Flag
Mar 11, 2014
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Mar 07, 2014
I loved how tense it was, because we all know how these stories go that it would go wrong somehow, but they held back for so long before it started to spiral out of control (she even admitted to have seen the butterfly effect)
Flag
Mar 06, 2014
What I loved about Being Human was that it never resorted to introducing a cheap romantic relationship between the Sally (particularly during her human-flesh-eating-phase) and the boys. But now that they have, I want Sally to be with Aiden!!! *sigh* I guess that's not going to be possible, huh?

Flag
Mar 06, 2014
Thanks for the review of the sorts. This episode really deserved something. I thought it was the best too. (You can't go wrong with alternate timelines, as we learned in Community and so many other shows). I thought the ripple effect of Sally's actions was quite realistic as far as the characters' reactions to the new old situations were presented. I can totally see things developing that way instead.

I also liked Sally's optimist and false sense of security that this time she would "get things right." The thing is, everything that happens to us contributes to our growth, and erasing all that happened these seasons would cause huge consequences. Imagine going through everything again... Bishop... The Amish... Suren and the Mother... Brynn and the purebred werewolves... Etc, etc, etc... There was no way that could've sustained itself. The time-space continuum would collapse in its own weight! This is why I believe things will somehow get back on track soon.

Still it was nice seeing Sally and Aiden together, and not so nice seeing such a despondent Josh. Life is made of choices and opportunities, and it was meant to be lived only once.
Flag
Mar 05, 2014
Last week's 'Gallows Humor' was better. It was an excellent episode for sure but something about the Aiden -Suzanna story was better than this Aiden - Sally story. That is unfair, Katherine Isabelle is just a lot more than Meaghan Rath. She is a veteran and she brought out so much in Witwer last week. Anything this week was going to seem less. Wow though, putting out 2 just brilliant hours of television over two weeks as your end is made clear is no fun for the audience.

Wonderful painful episode made more painful by the dumb network that carries the show.
Flag
Mar 07, 2014
I liked the Aiden Suzanna storyline. In fact from the moment we first met Suzanna at the party I wanted Aiden to break up with Kat and be with Suzanna.

However, since it was an alternate timeline I allowed myself to let go of all of the other things and get caught up in what was now happening. Each character was still him or herself but with the slightest bits of adjustments that begin to exponentially grow. The biggest of them all was Josh, but Aiden as well. I have a feeling that he is about to head down a dark path which he would have never headed down prior to his relationship with Sally.
Flag
Mar 07, 2014
When Aiden and Suzanna finally reunited...I didn't understand why Aiden didn't just grab onto her and never let go, I mean, this was, by all account, his first love...maybe is only true love. The one he saw "die' and then he killed all those people by the river. I think his reaction to seeing her wasn't strong enough, considering that we have had flashbacks of him and her since what, the first season.

Anyway....I think this episode and the next one are just going to be basically a teaser...a here is a quick "what-if" timeline to show us that things wouldn't have been any better in the other world.

Somehow everything is going end up in the same place...Sally dead (obviously), Sally's brother dead, Aiden with Suzanna, and Josh with Nora (somehow).
Flag
Mar 13, 2014
Aiden has also had over 200 years apart from Suzanna. After all the things he's seen and been through, I think his reaction was appropriate. It's like he is meeting a stranger with the race of his dead wife.
Flag
Mar 05, 2014
Sally acts like she's learned nothing, like a drunk teenager. She's annoying.
Flag
Mar 05, 2014
My heart hurt watching that episode. Everything was perfect for Sally and Aiden and I knew it wouldn't last. I wish the whole season was that alternate reality. It was beautiful and tragic, I can't believe it's almost over :(
Flag
Mar 05, 2014
This was a great episode for the series. Very creative. I applaud the writers on this one. I love most episodes on TV that explore time travel.

I don't like that something like this happens with only 5 episodes left in the series. Seems like this would have been a great beginning to another season. Even the show's own version of "Its A Wonderful Life" kind of Christmas episode.

They kept skipping ahead, 6 months, 3 months, 1 month...etc. I think they were finally at 14 months since Sally slipped into her own body. How much time has passed since the first episode to the last episode?

I am not convinced that this is going to be the story line they follow for the rest of the show. But...you never know.

It seems like there was a lot of potential back in the original timeline. Josh and Nora were fighting....but I think it was a matter of time before they got back together.

Aiden and Suzanna were JUST starting to reconnect.

Personally....I just don't think this new timeline is going to get things wrapped up like we want. ....
In this new time line....
Think about how much is still out there as far as some serious enemies,:
The vampires.... Bishop, Mother and her crew. The Dutch Amish. There is a lot of enemies out there and a lot of battles still waiting to be fought.

The witch is still out there.

Danny is still alive....and that bastard isn't allowed to live...I'm sorry.

Ray is still alive...which at least gives Josh potential to be human again.

I think....and thats a BIG "think"....that somehow this timeline is going to disappear....or...somehow things will come together and they will all end up at the same place, obviously through different means.

But...maybe in this new timeline...Sally gets her door. Josh and Nora end up anyway after Josh kills Ray somehow. And Aiden finds Suzanna anyway and they live the rest of their vampire lives together. (Maybe they even both take out Bishop and rule Boston together.)
More+
Flag
Mar 05, 2014
"It felt so wrong to come to this board and see that there was no review for arguably the best episode of Being Human."

You're half right. It was wrong that there was no review, but you're wrong in that it's arguably the best episode of Being Human...there's no argument about it. Not only is it the best episode of the series, it's the best episode of BOTH series. I've seen the UK version, and even giving up on the show after 4 seasons, there's zero doubt that the only episode that comes close was the originally unaired UK pilot.

"I do know that the pair become a couple and it was always a bit of disappointed for me that we never got that relationship on this side of the pond."

Given the choice of no US Aiden/Sally or a UK Aiden/Sally...you're better off without. It was the most absurd and contrived plot device and the turning point for what ruined the show. The "will they/won't they/how can they?" of the US version IMO was far better.

I don't know how long ago the producers got word that they wouldn't be renewed. Maybe they've know for some time or maybe they just found out. Whether it was intentionally written this way or whether they just lucked into it, THIS is an absolutely PERFECT way to end the series.

A combination of a mini do-over to explore relationships and scenarios that couldn't have happened before and a chance to bring back some of the more mythical story lines, which was really when the show was at it's best. With actor's schedules being what they are, it's hard to tell who might make it back in the final 6 episodes.

I know Mark Pellegrino (Bishop) is currently on The Tomorrow People which films in Vancouver, so bringing him in might be tough. Dichen Lachman (Suren) is free, and I always liked the idea of she and Aiden together. If the series has gotta end, why not end with him as the King of Boston with his Queen at his side?

I dunno, frankly, I think this move was so good it almost doesn't matter how it ends because I don't think it's possible for them to ruin it.

Bravo Being Human...nicely played!
More+
Flag
Mar 05, 2014
Easily my favorite episode. I love the show the way it is but a change of tone for an episode was nice and it was done very well. In one hour they managed to make it seem that it had always been this way and then you at the end get sucked back to the reality of it all.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members