Being Human (UK)

The Last Broadcast

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 10, 2013 on BBC

• Knocking on Heaven's Door: A Being Human Epitaph

If Being Human knows how to do anything well it's how to stage an effective finale especially since this is the last episode EVER! Alex manages to get out of the coffin rather quickly because they need to get the momentum going obviously. Toby Whithouse threw me for a loop there as I fully expected Hal to have mercilessly killed all of those people simply to feed like the Box Tunnel 20 and instead Hal had turned them all into vamps. Seeing him dance about the bar following his rampage to "Puttin' on the Ritz" was a great touch. His speech above rallying together was a little terrifying and luckily Tom showed up still convinced that Natasha had been killed by Hal. Seeing Tom in action against the vamp minions was really bad-ass to see that in action again after not seeing it all series it seems. His dub-step fight against Hal with a knife showed how equally matched the two were but Alex is the one to ghost into the bar and stop Tom from staking Hal. She confirms that Hatch whispered to Natalia to kill herself and that he's the Devil. The crew conveniently find Rook on the streets of Barry finding multiple bodies having committed suicide along with the entire occupancy of the hotel dead as well. Hatch had approached Rook to get the emergency broadcast codes for all of England in case of emergency which his department had in case of a hostile takeover of any of the Types which Hatch will use to cause mass suicides across the globe with the broadcast capability. Alex and Tom being reluctant to team up with Dark Hal is justified seeing as what he's done with all of those people and he even uses one of his minions vamp blood instead of his own for the Trinity ritual we saw in the series opener that would kill the Devil but also the three of them as well. They enter the studio after Hatch delivers a very insightful monologue about humanity and how they've failed to evolve. Hal mixes the vamp blood with Tom's and gives it to Alex to drink but Hatch throws them all into a dreamland. Hal is in Belarus five hundred years ago when he was turned, Alex is in Barry on holiday with her family before she dies, and Tom (since he was bitten as a baby) is at the hotel with a pregnant Allison accompanying him. But the catch is that all three are human now, no wolf, no vampire, no ghost. He gives them the choice to stay in their respective realities except for Hal who would simply die and never be made into a vampire. This was utterly heartbreaking to watch happen seeing Tom especially get everything he wanted and then have to realize that it wasn't real much as Alex did after having a greatly insightful conversation with her father. Oh and Whithouse finally explaining the significance of Hatch feeding off of the werewolf/vampire conflict since all of their curses come from him and how the curses must unite to stop him. Seeing each of them choose to return to reality was hard to watch since all they ever wanted was a normal life to be human. Seeing the return of Allison and Leo really helped sell the fact that there was something so convincing with the trick Hatch was working over on them that it was almost impossible to say no to. But they return to reality and the vial gets broken so no ritual by the news anchors. I was morbidly curious to hear what the secret was that Hatch would tell to the great BBC-viewing public that would make them want to kill themselves. His bit about splitting up the world in the four horsemen due to lack of man-power was funny, and his crack about nobody being to Sunday School. The most telling was his line, "What I can do to you is nothing worse than what you've done to yourselves" in regards to humanity as a collective. Before Hatch can deliver the message the Devil leaves the body and the stuttering Frenchman that the body was appears only to be shot in the head by Rook and his Department comes in the clean up the mess. Now that the problem had been seemingly dealt with Hal attempts to leave but Alex and Tom won't let him even though they know that they might need him the next time the Devil comes back in another form. One problem: how did Hatch, saying he knew Hal by his face, recognize him when he had the bag over his head in the series opener and I don't think ever saw Hal's face during the ritual? If he had gone by the voice I suppose it would be more believable but I would have to go back and watch the opener again. Rook shows up after having resigned from his post. Oh yeah, he was picked up by the Minister on the street so we never know what was said between them. But the Bureau will go on without him. Alex, Tom, and Hal all argue Rook's merit for having killed Hatch and Hal notices that Rook can now hear Alex. Rook is revealed to be the Devil, who took his form when he saw that he was going to kill him. A great torrent begins and Tom throws his blood to Hal, who throws his own in, and then Alex drinks it. The Devil flies out of Rook who is confused and Hal tells him that the Devil will possess him since he's the only human there. Rook puts a stake his chest telling Hal to kill him when it comes back inside him. The flatmates three all spasm in pain on the ground and the Devil goes back into Rook. It does a fake-out and then bursts its red eyes out and then Hal drives the stake into Rook killing him and Devil along with him. As a result of killing the Devil, since all of their curses came from him, they are all human again. Bad Hal is gone, Tom no longer has the wolf, and Alex is bruised from the ritual. I guess this happened to all supes around the world? So there are no more ghost, vampires, or werewolves? Did they all just become human or was it only these three since they were the closest to the incident? Just a few questions lingering in me. But in the end of the episode we see Alex planning on approaching her family about her being alive still, Hal and Tom wanting her to stay should she want to, and Hal and Alex talking about their future together now that they can both age and have sex and whatnot. It was truly believable that Alex would gorge herself like that on food after wanting it for so long. I also half expected Allison to make another appearance here since she is what Tom wants and he may have possibly gone out and told her how he felt about her still and they could be together just like Hal and Alex. Them getting together to watch Antiques Roadshow and setting rules about not having owned it in their lifetime was a great ending that showed how their bond transcended all the bad that they had done while they were cursed. But what a wonderful way to end the series, even though the final shot shows an origami wolf that Hatch used in Tom's fake-reality to show what was missing from him was actually still there. This makes us wonder whether this is really a Hatch-induced dream or whether those alternate realities were simply extensions of this one and that it could actually exist there. But Toby Whithouse really brought everything to its natural conclusion here, bringing everything full circle with Hal musing on what the show was all about, "Wanting it is having it Tom. You've already got This being said in relation to humanity and how none of the other previous characters really got that and that wanting to be human is enough to have as a monster than trying to prove you are time and again. The definition of madness Tom mentions plays very well into the cyclical nature of people in general that was nicely explored here as well. It's sad to see Being Human go but at least we got a finite ending that put the characters to rest even though it was the first of Being Human 2.0 that we got it was a nice high note to go out on. And plus I can't really imagine what a sixth series would've contained that could be higher stakes than preventing the Apocalypse (learning the lesson that Supernatural never did by ending after 5 series). This show has been a pleasure of mine from across the pond since I found it on BBC America and has been a treasure to me every time its been on. I will miss it but will also relish in the fact that it came to a natural conclusion in its time. It has truly been a pleasure getting to know these characters and even though we saw less of Hal, Tom, and Alex and the first generation they are still as dear to me as Mitchell, George, Annie, and Nina were. This show was about more than dark supernatural stuff it was about seeing humanity as something to be fought for by those who wanted to achieve it and simply wanting to be better made you better in the end as this series was telling us. It was hopeful, gloomy, dark, but most of all showed us the most sympathetic parts as the mirror was held up to us to examine ourselves and our own humanity and what it meant to us. The Syfy series will never live up to this it doesn't have the character focus and pacing/patience to be what this show is and will surely grow grey and worn in its own time but better to die when you're supposed to than just go on hollowly living. Goodbye Being Human, it was nice going you.