A Believe Community
NBC (ended 2014)

Believe S01E01: "Pilot"

There once was a time when the name J.J. Abrams meant something in this business. Okay, that's unfair, because the name J.J. Abrams still means something in television, it just doesn't necessarily carry the same kind of weight it did immediately following the early success of Lost in 2004. He's still a super producer and I'll probably still check out any show that has his name in the credits. But it takes more than just a big name to make a great a TV show, which is why I was more excited for NBC's Believe once I realized that Alfonso Cuarón—yep, the guy who just won an Oscar for directing Gravity—was also involved in the series. Cuarón is credited as Believe's creator and executive producer, and he directed the pilot, which looked great. But there's more to a good TV series than simply looking cool. If Breaking Bad had boasted great direction but lousy writing, I don't think anyone would've championed it. All the pieces have to be present, and as of its series premiere, Believe is missing a few of those pieces.

The series centers on Bo (Johnny Sequoyah), a young orphan girl with special powers. At the young age of 10 years old, she hasn't yet learned how to control them; instead, they're tied to her emotions. So when she gets scared, or when she's angry, her powers—which include levitation, telekinesis, seeing the future, and a knack for summoning birds via high-pitched screams—make themselves known. And that puts her at risk, because she's wanted by an unseen organization wishing to exploit her abilities for their own use. 

Headed up by the powerful Roman Skouras (Kyle MacLachlan), the group is flush with cash, pretty assassins, and all the resources it needs to easily track Bo, which is why self-proclaimed good guys Winter (Delroy Lindo) and Channing (Jamie Chung) help a falsely accused Death Row inmate named Tate (Jake McLaughlin) out of prison: so he can protect her. After all, they can't just stick her with another pair of foster parents like those who were killed in the opening scene of the pilot. 

Tate and Bo instantly displayed an easy chemistry, despite the fact Tate had no interest in becoming her guardian. At one point he actually asked how long the job was going to last, as if he was a teenage babysitter inquiring as to what time the parents planned to return. As for Bo, she seems kind of like an outspoken pain in the ass who wants to use her gifts to help people. And for natural misanthropes like myself, this is incredibly annoying. But I suspect that her desire to help others will eventually give the series a broader feel, which should help balance out any serialized mythology that comes up along the way.

What sort of mythology, you ask? Well, it'll probably have something to do with the fact that—as Winter revealed at the end of the pilot—Tate is also Bo's father. At this stage in the story, neither Bo nor Tate is privy to this supposedly shocking twist. But is it really all that surprising? I get the impression that Believe's writers thought they were dropping a bombshell akin to divulging that Bruce Willis was dead the whole time in The Sixth Sense, or that John Noble's character on Sleepy Hollow was actually Ichabod's son. Instead, it felt more like pleasantly discovering there's a 2-for-1 deal at Dunkin' Donuts. Minds were not blown, is what I'm trying to say. Minds were like, "Oh, yeah, that makes sense."

I have to wonder what the reaction would have been if Believe had witheld this particular bit of information until the audience had a chance to bond with the duo over the course of a season. Would it have had more of an effect? Would we have gasped aloud? As it stands, I thought it was a rather obvious and boring development—which, as of the pilot, seems about par for the course with Believe. So far, nothing about the series is particularly original; television is currently home to more shows involving characters with some sort of supernatural power than ever before, and Believe's first episode didn't give us anything we can't get elsewhere.

Of course, we still don't know much of anything. We know Tate is Bo's father. We know Skouras and Winter used to work together, and that Skouras is the only person who knew Winter wasn't as dead as everyone thought. And we know Skouras wants Bo for presumably nefarious purposes. But none of the questions posed by Believe's pilot are particularly interesting or time-sensitive. I just don't feel the urge to demand answers, you know? And to make matters worse, the main characters of Winter, Skouras, and Channing are mere caricatures of good guys and bad guys. I'm honestly kind of astounded Skouras didn't spend the show's first hour sitting in a corner twirling a mustache while laughing maniacally. 

Believe's pilot had a lot of ground to cover in a short amount of time, and I recognize that it's difficult to create an instantly compelling backdrop for a TV series, especially when it's a TV series that on paper sounds like many we've seen before. But if Believe wants to succeed, it needs to sketch both its characters and Bo and Tate's story with bolder colors, stat. Ask some big questions! Tease some big answers! Give us something more than vague mysteries and stock villains! Otherwise, the show will drag and I'm not sure anyone will be inclined to stick around. And I'm not sure I'd even suggest it, no matter whose name is attached.

NOTES

– Winter claims he wants to protect Bo, that he's a good guy, but he also claims that he's waiting until the time is right to tell the world about her, which flies in the face of keeping her safe. Why does the rest of the world need to know about Bo and her powers at all? Presumably, even if Tate succeeds in keeping Bo safe, and they eventually dismantle Skouras's network of evil, someone else will undoubtedly rise up to take his place.

– How and why did Winter get involved in Bo's life?

– I think Believe would've been better off if it had slowly peeled away Tate's tough outer shell, rather than seemingly stripping it from him almost immediately in the pilot. Let him be a curmudgeon for a little while! Let Bo open him up slowly.

– The action scenes look great, and everything in general looks really cool. I'd expect nothing less from Cuarón.

– It might be worth noting that Believe shut down for a bit early in its production schedule, and has changed showrunners since production began, which is generally not a good sign. Take from that what you will.

What'd you think of Believe's series premiere? Will you be back for Episode 2?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/15/2014

Season 1 : Episode 12

141 Comments
Comments (141)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The show reminds me of all the late 80s and early 90s sitcoms combined together. Sure, I watched the whole season because it was light hearted and I was curious if it warrants a second season. Though it wasn't annoying but it is something that has been done before. For a second season to begin, there needs to be a cliffhanger. Where was it in season one?
Flag
I really liked the show believe on sunday night, wish that it was not going off the air in two weeks. You need to bring it back in another season.
Flag
I've been trying to decide whether or not to watch this show. From what I've heard it reminds me of a 2000's TV movie called Sole Survivor, mixed with a little Bless the Child. So far people seem to be giving it ok ratings but I don't know, someone please convince me.
Flag
That dude beaten by a girl. Damn he must be weak.
Flag
I liked the pilot so I'll hang on for the time being. I didn't see the twist coming so it really caught me by surprise which was nice and made me like the relationship between Bo and Tate even more.
Flag
Bland characters and the idea of the good guys not having guns seems idiotic. I'll at least watch the next few episodes and see what happens. Hopefully Tate eventually gets a gun :)

"We don't do guns Mr. Tate. We're the good guys." - Winter
Flag
I don't know how long it's going to take for networks to see that series involving a child with "superpowers" or "strange abilities" has never worked and will never work... That may be good for an episode, a movie or even a mini-series or but not a year long series.
Even (and mostly, really) with J.J. Abrams stamp. Most of his projects after Fringe (which began to decline after the 2nd season) have failed anyway. (Well, I consider POI a "Nolan" project.).

There is something very uncomfortable in watching adults going after a child, wanting to hurt a child, wanting to abuse a child's talent, terrifying a child and being violent and killing people around a child. A lot of people just don't want to see that...

Maybe one should let the children be children, and not bring them into our adult violent mess. Abrams should instead do a movie or a mini-series that would patch the holes he's left in "Lost" which has shown his total disrespect for the viewers...

Flag
Lol children are being killed right now, and many more is going to die (Real life). If movies only show that adults can die, it won't be very believable, like in the old movies where they can't show death of children, so weird, everybody dies (on planet Earth at least).
Flag
I'm not saying "do" or "don't". TV has never and will never be a mean to improve society. I'm just saying that some people don't like to watch that, and I also know that some, like you, enjoy watching that. Some don't like "macabre" some do. To each his own trip... All I'm saying is that this kind of premise has never worked for long on TV. But, hey, who knows? Maybe this time it will.
Flag
Agreed, Abrams knows how to start a series off amazingly but doesn't know how to carry it past the second season i.e. Alias which is the big example that comes to mind. Touch was also another series that focused on a young gifted child whose life was in danger from another big bad Corporation wanting to exploit his abilities for their own gain and it didn't last past the second season.
Flag
I didn't know Abrams did "Alias". I didn't watch that show.
The thing is that nonetheless, the guy achieved in pulling 5 seasons out of "Alias" and "Fringe" so, to the networks, he's profitable...
But I don't believe (no pun intended) that this show will pull that many. Some will watch for a while to see what powers she has (I won't) but will get fed up eventually.
"Touch" was badly written and I think many kept watching because of Kiefer Sutherland.
Flag
LOL definitely I haven't even watched the second episode yet and I'm not really dying to. I agree 'Touch' was painfully slow in the first season and sporadic in the second but I think it had some good moments but I can see why it was cancelled. I feel 'Believe' will meet the same fate especially since it's a mid-spring premiere.
Flag
This is basically 'Touch'.
With a girl.
With different abilitys.
oh...and she talks.

I still liked it.
Flag
This was terrible, one the the worst pilots I've seen (no exaggeration). None of the characters were interesting whatsoever. The Death Row guy immediately began to act like no Death Row guy ever would, completely destroying the show's credibility. Not to mention that he's on Death Row yet can't decide whether he wants to escape until the last minute - yeah right!

Then the rest of the episode was made up of completely formulaic and dull moments with some of the worst dialogue you'll ever hear. Especially bad was the doctor's arc. One patient dies so he decides to quit and whines to his comatose dad about him not believing in him, barf. You're a doctor, show some professionalism! And then the girl had to redeem him by reading his dad's mind in the most drawn out and most heavy handed way.

It's so disappointing that the show would start so poorly. What about this episode was supposed to draw us in? What is the show really about? If it's just a girl with cliched powers and bad guys chasing after her then it's already overstayed its welcome. I won't be watching on.

As to Cuaron's involvement, it's baffling considering the classic films he's directed. Even the opening long shot was a mess. It ended up shooting all the wrong angles just to fit it altogether. It recalled the famous shot inside the car from Children of Men but the difference in quality could not be more significant.
More+
Flag
I loved this pilot. For such a young actor the character of Bo is so witty it's great she was excellent I love her already. I love the back and forth banter between Bo and Tate it was effortless it didn't feel forced it was very natural I see them getting on each other's nerves which will be great. I'm not 100% sure about winter yet I'll wait a few episodes to make my judgment on his intentions. The fight scenes were well done very feel, it might just be me but that scene with the bird tornado was beyond scary that would be my worst nightmare and I'm not scared of birds.
Flag
I liked the Pilot episode and I was also confused by it. But that didn't put me off...yet. I will give it a few episodes to see what ride it takes me on and hopefully its not a carousel.

Though if this show has already shut down production briefly and changed show runners, I'm proceeding with caution on investing too much thinking/analysis if I get left hanging.
Flag
I generally liked the pilot. Some of the things were a little far-fetched, like the ability to break someone's neck by basically just touching them. I think the chemistry between Bo and Tate is strong. They work well off of each other. This type of show has been around before but I haven't seen one like it for a while. Regardless of the superpower, the show seems like it is basically them traveling around on the run and helping people everywhere they go, kind of like The Fugitive, and I'm fine with that.
Flag
I liked the Pilot. Don't afraid to admit it. I have to say that the acting good have been a bit better and the storyline is not the most original, but still i will give it a four episode thing i do with new series..

For now, like that he is this big and grumpy guy, who get;s his ass kicked by this physo asskicking bitch...and she is a little smartass who drives him crazy...so the chemistry is there, hope the writers make it work...
Till now i have seen like two powers...in the review i read she has more...so now i have to rewatch the whole thing to see what i missed...damn!!
Ok, the guy that got shot, the priest...he was like...don't worry we will protect you and provide you with whatever you need and then get's shot and runs very slowly slowing down the rest...he is nothing but trouble..that Chinese girl...Jamie right...she seems cool and tuff!
Flag
I was interested in this show, mostly because its similarity to Stephen King's Firestarter and wanted to see what they can bring out from this, but this was a big disappointment.
The story is just too generic, it doesn't build its own universe/mythology. The pilot threw at us all the main characters stitched togather with a badly written plotline. The only new thing we learn from the pilot is that Tate is Bo's father, and who else will be in this show, everything else was already in the trailer.
With the shaky camera, the bad acting, the badly written characters and story and the second rate action scenes it felt like I was watching a low budget show from the nineties. And the worst part is that they gave Tate that haircut to ephasize the father daughter relationship in the ending scene... (see first picture above)
I can't say that this show is bad, because it didn't do much other than introduce the characters and their relationship.
Flag
May I be completely honest here? I know it will risk, perhaps destroy any shred of credibility I may have had before, but I have to say it: I liked the pilot. Main roles: I think Bo (actor) isn't just cute, she has charisma, which is hard to do as a child. Like Manny in Modern Family, I think her vibe just works. Casting of the other roles is very important. Tate is doing the gig, hamming it up and adding a sliver of humor once in a while. You need that. The only character I'm not crazy about was the woman on the evil side, but she'll probably disappear quickly. Maybe she died of bird poop poisoning? The concept: hard to see how they'll maintain it, but it's open to more than the good vs. evil theme set up. I will watch episode 2, and we'll see where this goes. It might turn into a Leverage-like thing with a cute kid. These team efforts are tough to do. I am reluctantly giving Mind Games one more chance.
Shout out to yamachama, nicely stated in the list! Let's see what further episodes bring to the mix.
Flag
I take the changes as a good sign if they result in changes in the show.

As a Pilot this episode did very little to engage me or make me want to come back for more. That should be relatively easy for a show like this, because they can write all sorts of cheques in the Pilot that they never honour. In other words, the problems should come later when they can't follow through, not in the first episode where I am left basically not caring if they follow through or not.

I didn't find the premise particularly interesting and I pretty much disliked everyone. The only self awareness the show came close to demonstrating was in the final scenes where the father is telling the kid she is a brat and should keep her nose out of other people's business. If she is basically the Littlest Hobo with telekinesis, I'll pass.

By comparison, I also watched the Pilot for Resurrection, which I actually enjoyed. That is a show that may not be able to live up to the Pilot but it came across as original and I found most of the characters interesting (rather than immediately annoying).
More+
Flag
It was not as bad as I feared.
The biggest thing the show has going for it is that the casting is very strong with lots of likable and bankable actors.
I must say though that the casting is so cookie cutter you'd think there is a manual these shows follow.
1) Hot scruffy white male lead - Check
2) Slightly annoying prodigy/prophet (usually a kid) - Check
3) Wise old black man (good guy) - Check
4) Charming yet menacing white man (bad guy) - Check
5) Hot Asian supporting female - Check
6) Annoying super assassin (female) who weights 105 pounds yet seems indestructible, snaps necks with ease, and is extremely proficient at killing everyone BUT the main target. - Check

Despite the sometimes annoying kid and the definitely annoying assassin, I didn't hate it. The episode moved quickly and the lead and kid have enough chemistry to allow me to forgive and forget the ridiculous death row start (he could have just as easily been a garbage man, a short-order cook, or a TSA employee). I personally liked the tear when he first saw her but thought they immediately ruined it with her line "you remembered you were once good." The butterflies were completely unnecessary (not to mention a rip-off of Kung Fu Hustle).

What may prove most important is the broadcast schedule. The show certainly isn't strong enough to go up against The Good Wife and all those other popular shows it's slated to go up against for the season. They may as well kill them off now.
Also, Touch was a victim of sporadic air dates and ridiculously long breaks. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake here.

Overall, more than Touch or the movie Firestarter, the episode felt a lot like the movie Push. I enjoyed that movie so I am up for giving this show a chance.
More+
Flag
(And yes, I realize the assassin's mission is to capture, not kill the girl... But you get what I mean...)
Flag
I'm on the fence.

The show's idea is very similar to the Japanese comic (or manga) named UNTIL DEATH DO US PART.
They changed a few things and it didn't make it better than the manga...

1. The girl is too ANNOYING, I had a hard time bonding with her and quite frankly to believe her character.

2. I have no problem believing that A. Cuaron did this show, however, the butterfly and the birds scenes were both beautiful ...and disappointing. Tate crying : didn't buy that. Birds encircling the bad girl : too ineffectual.

One thing I was impressed with : the bad girl drugged was alert enough to find a counter drug to inject herself with...way too far-fetched.

There are worst shows out there so I know that some day I'll come 'round and watch a few more episodes.
Flag
Enjoy it while you can but online opinion reckons it won't make series two.
Flag
Did people really not like this that much? I thought for a pilot it was pretty good, sure it wasn't original, but name one new show that was after watching just one episode.

Although, at the same time it is possible that I may have been distracted by Alfonso's pretty pictures. I also may be biased, I find it hard to dislike anything that has an English chick (#represent) roundhouse kicking dudes.

I'll give this the four episode test, as a new showrunner could change things. But hey, Walking Dead's got showrunners in a revolving door and that show's not doing too badly.
Flag
Staff
To me, it was not a matter of not liking it, it was more a matter of not liking it as much as some of the other similar genre fare currently available. Especially with talented names attached to it like Abrams and Cuaron. I think it ended up being a battle of expectations versus reality. I'll continue watching it, though, to see where it eventually ends up.

(And I'd argue that Sleepy Hollow was very original from the get go. It meshed together about 10 different genres and made a stand.)
Flag
Okay, you got me, I had completely forgotten about how much I liked the Sleepy Hollow pilot (my bad!). Although, when Sleepy Hollow went into 'monster of the week' mode I did start to get a bit bored with it.

It may be the British in me (our dramas tend to be in a more single story than episodic vain, yes there are exceptions), but I am holding out for this show to not go into 'person to help of the week' mode.

I do agree with you though, if it goes into this mode I will get bored very quickly, Touch was not that long ago NBC!
Flag
What is some of the other similar genre fare currently available? For comparison.
Flag
Arrow?
Flag
Arrow isn't even close to being similar genre fare to this.
Flag
The people on the know are putting their hammer down. ^^ Guess its not for everyone.

I got involved in the story, which made me overlook details. Sweet! My only problem was dialogue which was stiff at times ... but got over it, by the end. It is a pilot.
Looking forward to the next episode.

Just hope it will not turn into a "save-a-person every episode" .. and they move on with the main story line, at good pace.
Flag
I expected this to be good and Resurrection to be corny dialogue with over the top acting.. color me surprised that it was reversed! the characters are too typical, hopefully this is just a case like most pilots and it gets better.
Flag
I turned it off as Bo dropped her toy while running and wanted to return to get it (second to last image in the artivle above). Seriously, Mr. Director? What decade did you get lost in? That is SO cliché for trying to up the tension, that it's borderline criminal of you to try to employ this strategy. I was so angry at you at that point (and actually utterly bored before that point), that I just turned it off. I didn't even see if Bo got to get her toy.
Flag
I liked it. I'll give it at least 4 episodes to see exactly what tact they take with the story. Appears like it will be procedual with a overarching mystery.
Flag
Well almost
Flag
Oh, and they are more than welcome to make it violent, the more the better. This will sure be enough to stand out from the rest.

Come on AMC, take a nice chance, everything you touch seems to change to gold

Flag
Well, if they going to be coping every show or movie with the same cliche, and end up slapping another name to it with a slight tweek here and there, then I would rather opt and enjoy a TV series from author Stephen King called FIRESTARTER.

This will seriously have a chance to grow with many seasons to follow. Always start with the FIRST... THE ORIGINAL CONCEPT
Flag
yes, even the old Hulk, series was based on a special person with powers having to run from something every week, while trying to help others. Even the A Team did that.
Flag
I can't believe that there is no mention of the first 3 minutes!
It is a long take guys! (no cuts), and the camera plays around the car exactly as in "Children of Men", in another fantastic long take (2 actually). I guess that TV bloggers are not really cinema connoisseurs! :) :)
I found this review a little bit too much, this is a pilot, if this was their 4th episode I would even probably agree with some parts of it, but all this complaining after 1 episode, oh no, no no no.
I will give it 4 episodes, I didn't hate the pilot at all.
Flag
The pilot is very cliche, full of stereotype characters and lots of familiar stories that we have seen before. This show would be popular if it was 20-30 years ago. Now we are all spoilt by so many good TV shows. I think JJ Abraham now believes that he can just stick his name on any show and it would work.

Having said all that, it is not a disaster. I liked the cast especially the annoying little girl. I liked Delroy Lindo and Jamie Chung is always nice to look at.

The actions scene are not too bad. I liked the birds and butterfly too.

It might make a good TV movie on the Hallmark Channel but unless things change, it will probably not make it as a series.

The inmate and the girl running around to avoid the bad guys and help others along the way. This idea alone will not support an entire season.

When I read about the show, I thought of Firestarter movie but after I seen it, it almost felt like the second season of Touch (Touch was so much better).

I do hope things change and it will survive but cancellation looks very likely and its on NBC.
More+
Flag
Why would you spoil another show?
Flag
I liked it. Action wasn't that bad and I like the characters, stereotype or not. Who cares. There is a lot worse out there right now.
Flag
Unfortunately, it's the viewers who are also becoming victims of Abrahams' overemployment and/or success. This show, thus far, appears to yet another duck of late. You'd think producers/writers etc. would learn from some of the stretched short stories (Philip K. Dick's work, for example) which died deaths.
Flag
"The action scenes look great, and everything in general looks really cool. I'd expect nothing less from Cuarón."

I have no idea what you watched but it can't possibly be the same thing I watched?! This was maybe the worst pilot I've ever seen and especially the action scenes! Who made this?! I have seen amateur movies with budgets around 50 dollars look a lot better than this...

Flag
Alfonso Cuaron, that one guy who just one an Oscar for directing.
Flag
WON! Where's my edit button?..
Flag
All the things you mentioned in this review are things I hate about shows. I didn't watch the pilot because I feared and expected it would be just that.

How many shows do we need about someone with powers and some powerful organization out to get 'em? The first one I remember was Starman, The Series. Roswell comes to mind. Heroes. Of course, now we have The Tomorrow People. I'm sure I'm missing a dozen others.

They need something unique.
Flag
From comments below...

Firestarter
The Incredible Hulk
Touch

I even thought of The A Team.

What else?
Flag
Cool; we think alike :-)
Flag
Powers of Matthew Star.
Flag
ohn wow! There's a blast from the past. I loved that show. It gave Louis Gossett Jr. his start -- though I remember struggling to think of him as a tough guy, at the time! :)
Flag
One of my biggest pet peeves in action shows is the neck break. Nothing to do with a skinny model type doing it, it is the same for men as well, simply moving the neck to the side doesn't break a neck. At worst they are going to be sore for a couple days. TV writers everywhere, just stop.

Other than that, it wasn't that bad, it wasn't great by any means. I am not sure just leaving her with her father is enough. I mean he got his arse handed to him twice in a day and it would seem that if she was that important, more people would be necessary. If Winter has so much money then hire a bunch of personal security experts. With a girl like that I would say no less than a team of 9.

It does however seem like it is going to be way to serialized to be any fun.
Flag
I love this show already! :) I knew when I saw Bo and Tate together in the hospital room, they looked same and at that time, I knew Tate is Bo's biological father. But who is Bo's mom? I am already curious! Please renew the show! :) Love it!
Flag
I enjoyed it. I can't see how it'll last as a series, but whatever, taking it one episode at a time, I enjoyed this one more than enough to come back for more.
Flag
Bo has a Canary Cry. Hey, the ARROW set is over there, guys!
Flag
Miss Thomas,

PLEASE TELL US YOU ARE POSTING SPOILERS BEFORE YOU GO TELLING US HOW IT ENDS!
I wanted to watch this show, but now that you've ruined the ending (that Tate is Bo's father, I am truly upset. Please, in the future, at least have the courtesy to post that the article will contain spoilers for the show at the top of the page.

Sarah
Flag
Please, in the future, watch the show before you come here to read the review ...
Flag
All episode reviews at this site contain spoilers about what happened in the episode. News articles at this site and their comments often contain major spoilers about other shows. The weekly FTW/WTF article always contains major spoilers about every show that's worth watching, and a few more. All I ask is that they don't put spoilers on the front page, but you can't even trust them to do that.

Anyway, I don't think this knowledge ruins the ending at all.
Flag
You didn't expect a review of an episode to feature things that happened in the episode? Meh. Plus, for me anyway, it really wasn't meant to be much of a twist. If it were, they'd have waited until further into the series.
Flag
Bruce Willis is dead in The Sixth Sense??!!!!!!!
You've totally ruined that movie for me now, next time spoiler alert it!!!!1111!!!
Flag
hahaha !
Flag
Watching this show was like watching two monkeys attempting to fuck a football on Ice. It made "Revolution" seem sane and reasonable.

1) The Savior-- A Death-row inmate... really why not pick a person with fewer people looking for him? Oh wait it is her daddy... so you know that makes it all better. Oh, I know stay in the US! Good plan this would work if you moved to say Switzerland or France perhaps. Or the somewhere in the Jungles of Brazil. In Philly it makes no sense.

2)The Kid-- SHE HAS POWERS! WHO CARES!

3) Assassin-- this woman was probably the dumbest assassin of all time. Hey, let me run around a hospital with a black person's id badge and my pistol drawn... Good plan no one will see that happen.

4) Winters and The Evil guy are clearly angels or agents of God and Satan... We don't need another Adjustment Bureau.

5) Flying around in a C-123B Provider not exactly a) cheap or b) clandestine.

6) What was the point of the episode other than running?

7) Who didn't want to see Delroy take a bullet in the head? I sure wanted to put on his head.

8) Evil Norad... So the evil guy has Norad and the guys have a van and Jamie Chung? How predictable.

9) Why does this show feel like "Quantum Leap" minus a horny hologram and the catch phrase "Oh, Boy" every time... But we sure do have a good time saving folk as they jump around the zipcodes of America attempting to thwart Satan and his multi-billion dollar minions.

10) Perhaps, the monkeys on ice with the football would be better?
More+
Flag
On number 3: She had a silencer. Everything is OK, if you attach a silencer. You will become stealthy if you attach one.
On number 5: Totally agree. Since Die Hard we know, that good guys only fly commercial.
On number 6: They wanted to show how important cardio is. If your cardio is bad, you will be caught by neck snapping assasins with british(?) accent.
On number 8: They liquidated all their property to come up with a bag full of cash. Sadly they left it in the warehouse for the pigeons and rats to nest in it. Why would they go back for it?
On number 9: If they had added a horny hologram I would have instantly loved this series.
On number 10: I would watch that show, but where is the supernatural element in it? Maybe with vampire-zombie monkeys posessed by werewolf spirits...
Flag
Yeah adding another 6-8 inches of suppressor to your HK Pistol will magically make it disappear... Last time I was out at the range with my suppressor on my M4 Carbine people managed to be able to see me with it. It was not so stealthy.

5) Die Hard used the same plane actually. My point was that flying around in a C123B Provider was not exactly what one would call a clandestine Aircraft to use. In fact it would sort of like painting a bulls-eye on you.

6) I liked the part when the Assassin was super busy with her Mother's birthday or some other such thing. That was priceless. I'm pretty sure Assassins like Doctors work flexible shifts based on the target's opportunity to be eliminated. So I think besides running we also learned that Assassins are people too..

8) Yeah they liquidated all his property and managed to go exactly where the bad people knew they would go. That was TV 101-- stupid. Sort of like how they exited a window with no ladder or roof under it but climbed down a roof and ladder next to it. That was Awesome. This is what I call TV Moron Writing 101.

9) You agree with me that really all they need is a Hologram with a Porn Addiction! I think JJ and Alfonso should start reading my reviews and it would help them.

10) Monkeys getting it on with Footballs will need no Supernatural Element to be a hit. The series will only need the pure joy of monkeys playing with FOOTBALLS while HORNY!
More +
Flag
Damn. I should cancel my oder on those supressors then.

In Die Hard the bad guys rode the C123B Provider. Bruce Willis and his family always fly commercial.

They wanted to show that the bad guys sent that woman to get the girl not because she is an assassin, but because she is a caring person.

They could not sell a warehouse full of pigeon crap, so it was an obvious choice in both side. They went there because they only had that place left, and so the bad guys could easily figure that out for the same reason.

They had to do the TV 101-stupid exiting because it was a TV 101-tension-building-scene with the locked emergency exit door and hiding in the closet and almost found elements.

If not a hologram they could at least put in a monkey. Shows with perverted monkeys are good.

The Monkeys vs. Footballs erotic comedy show needs a supernatural element if it were to replace this series.
Flag
Bruce Willis probably should stay out of the public with his Die Hard track record.

So, you are positing the idea, she is an assassin with a heart of gold? Perhaps' she only picked up doing wet-work because she had mounting college debt? I think her real passion is pre-estrucean art?

I like how Mr. M. Winter doesn't understand the value of shell corporations... You would think that this warehouse would look on paper to be owned by anyone but Winter's agency of poorly paid do gooders. Why not get her to jungles of Africa in the Congo Region. No, then we would have a story-- much better than hiding out with $120 USD with a deathrow inmate escaped of course in Philly!

How about the best of both worlds: Horny Hologram Monkeys with Footballs it is like being Supernatural and Quantum Leap all rolled into one?
Flag
I'm tired, the running all the time. I love JJ Abrams but.....
the pilot was oke, not bad. but a whole series????
Flag
The concept was cool, although very unoriginal but enough to keep me hooked, but "The action scenes looked great"?? The series has a ton of laughable moments, like how easy it is to crack someone's neck, no to mention that all the fight scenes looked ridiculous, something straight out of a genuine chineses kung fu movie, I was expecting that after one of the kicks the guy would go flying through the wall.

Another thing that really bothered me is that there is this huge evil organisation after her full of resources and after five years tracking her they only send one skinny girl to get her, that failed not once, but 3 times.

J.J. Abrams still has a lot of name recognition, but I was very disappointed with this show, I thought at times it was really doubting of the audience's intelligence, and the bird scene also sucked, because nothing happened.
Flag
Often when a premise of a show is announced, or the pilot is released, one wonders how the hell it can last as a series. And that is especially true for the pilot of Believe. I have no idea how this could work as a series. Believe would work well as a two-hour film, but are Bo and Tate supposed to flee from this powerful organization week after week? Doing what? Become carnies and have Bo play the "Miracle Girl"? I doubt I will be satisfied with the answers the writers will conjure up for us.
Flag
Well, it was okay and hopefully they do something very interesting (other than running around, I mean) in the coming episodes. And some of the over-acting improves (Sienna Guillory's accent and walk? Really? That's how Brit assassins are supposed to be?) The people who made music for Gravity add to the whole overdone thing, but this does remind me, if Touch and Firestarter had a baby, so that's a good thing.
Flag
I'll just paste my comment from the "should I watch" page:

The pilot's been available online for some time. I've seen it, and I was very disappointed. The girl's superpowers are really silly. (Magical butterflies WTF?) Based on what I saw in the pilot, I think it's likely that every time they're in danger, she's going to do something that's both absurd and very different from everything she's done before.

I don't know what to think about the fact that they had already switched showrunners twice by episode 5. It could mean that they're fixing the problems, but I think it's more likely that the show is just falling apart into a bigger mess than it already is.

The pilot contained the most ridiculous neck-snapping scenes I have ever seen. Sienna Guillory, who looks very weak, snapped at least two necks with her bare hands, with no special technique, without looking like she was applying any force at all.
Flag
Also, correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't it not that easy to snap someone's neck? Granted it's not incredibly hard, but not as easy as portrayed here.

We had the villain snapping necks as easily as turning a door knob. It takes some force and effort to do it quickly and cleanly.

Sure on the Vampire Diaries they're snapping necks left-and-right but vampires are super strong so it's a given then it takes little effort for them. Here we have a skinny blonde just casually snapping necks like they were made of glass.
Flag
I m an assassin trust me its disrespectful to us showing that blond snapping necks like opening cookie jars. it takes a lots of force and practice.
Flag
she can snap necks like that and a few pigeons scared the shit out of her. Blondie u got a gun atleast try to shoot them.
Flag
She is the new model of terminator. Just rewatch the scenes where she walks around with a gun and you can see the robot inside (especially the hospital scene reminded me of the first terminator film).
She was confused by the pigeons, because its optic-processor could not handle to overflow of information.
Flag
That irritated the hell out of me too. She seemed to be applying about the same force that it takes to dent a soda can. I said something about it in my comment on the "should I watch" page. I think I'll copy and paste that entire comment above.
Flag
which flies in the face of keeping her safe. Why does the rest of the world need to know about Bo and her powers at all?

One doesn't negate the other. Bad group wants to control her and presumably mold her to fit their own purposes so she will either be a covert agent type of person OR a very public mouthpiece for their agenda.

Good group wants her to reveal herself as a beacon of hope or a messiah or something... but only when SHE's ready. And not after she's been brainwashed by some evil org.
Flag
For me Sunday nite has a few open viewing hours left. I will hang in until a more interesting show claims the time slot or until it bores me.
Flag
The same...

I've completely dropped Mentalist and Revenge from my lineup, and my beloved Episodes has their season finale coming up.

So I have some room and I'll give it a try until it bores me. I try not to go out Sunday nights because I need to rest up for an early Monday at work. So I tend to just watch some TV and hit the sack.
Flag
After watching the pilot, I've come to the conclusion that this show is basically Touch. However, instead of the focus being on inter-connectivity between everyone (Touch), the show is going more for the "believe in everyone/have faith and everything will be alright" bs. That, and the fact that this show features a non-autistic girl, who's dad doesn't know he's her dad... and is quite the dick.

I'll probably stick around for another episode or two, but I doubt it will get better. I mean, any show where the good guys don't use guns, putting themselves and their charges at a huge and deadly disadvantage, just seems straight up ridiculous to me. Oh well. I didn't think this show looked that interesting anyway, so I'm not that disappointed.
Flag
I haven't seen it yet, but I was just thinking about how irritating Touch was in its constant running around (mentioned in the above review). Generally, these are shows a lot of us "want to like", but I find myself rarely liking what I think I want to like... We'll see, watching it tonight.
Flag
I actually enjoyed Touch, because of its premise (how we're all connected) and how it executed a lot of its interwoven storylines. However, towards the end, I was getting fed up with the constant running around you mentioned.

Plus, and I don't want to sound like an evil dick here, I kind of got sick of Jake and his autism (I have a family member that is very low-spectrum, which is hard to deal with, and I've always watched TV as a form of escapism... so the constant reminder of real-life, which ruined the immersion, became frustrating).

As for your "liking what we want to" comment: I completely agree. Some of my favorite shows are things I checked out on a whim and didn't think I'd even like; whereas, shows I thought I'd love (e.g. Revolution, Terra Nova, etc.), sometimes have me regretting I even saw a minute of them.
Flag
its save the cheerleader, save the world all over again.
Flag
The problem with sending a ten-year-old girl off with a dude has nothing at all to do with whether or not he's been on death row. Were they in Texas? Because most places, there's at least 15 years between conviction and execution.. which would, er, complicate the timeline.

I liked the show, which is entirely dependent on whether or not the child lead can or cannot act. I find no complaints on that score.

A lot of people are seeing similarities to Firestarter, but what I expect is actually similar to the Bill Bixby Incredible Hulk show. Supernaturally-affected drifters roll into town, meet some people who need help, fix their problems, then have to continue on their way.

Flag
The Incredible Hulk is what i thought as well. Definitely that formula. People see Firestarter, and i do as well, because of the little girl.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members