A Believe Community
NBC (ended 2014)
This much anticipated offering from NBC hits US TV screens on the 10th of March and it follows death row fugitive Tate, sprung from prison moments before meeting his grizzly court mandated end, by a guy named Winter. It turns out Winter wants Tate to protect a girl, Bo, but Bo isn't just any average pre-teen orphan, no, in fact she's special and Winter isn't the only one taking an interest in her.

Whilst I wasn't quite as impressed with this as I was with NBC's other Spring débutante Crisis, there was certainly enough here to remain optimistic. As with most pilots there is some clunky, exposition filled dialogue, but it certainly doesn't spoil the episode. The production values are fairly good and the hand-to-hand combat scenes are well choreographed, although the chase and gun-fight scenes need some attention. I can't say much about the setting as it seems like it's going to be a journeyman series and it gave me the impression it's going to follow a help-a-stranger-per-week format. I also suspect that Believe could receive some comparisons with Touch, which I really wasn't expecting, although episodes two to four are gong to be a much better indication of the type of story this show wants to tell.

First and foremost I have to mention Johnny Sequoyah, who plays the wonderful Bo, because she was great. She had some wonderful one-liners and she was easily the equal of her more experienced cast mates, if the writers can keep her precocious sense of humour in check she could be a real fan favourite. Playing her kind of but not quite grizzled protector is Jake McLaughlin, who seems far too put-upon considering he's just been saved, quite literally, from certain death. Filling in the cast roster are Delroy Lindo as Winter, Jamie Chung as Winters associate, Katie McClellan as a British bad-ass (maybe assassin?) who is also after Bo and Kyle MacLachlan as her (possibly) boss. All the players are decent enough, although I do have some concerns over McLaughlin, he just doesn't quite fit the bad-ass death row inmate mould, but maybe I'm being a little overly critical.

I'm a little concerned with where this show appears to be heading. If it takes on the helping people procedural approach then I really will worry about it's future, but if it concentrates on the serialised aspects of the pilot – why is this girl special, why is a seemingly evil group after her, who is Winter and his group, etc – and maybe throw in some strangers to help along the way then I think it'll be OK. The drama and intrigue were sufficient for me to want to continue watching but the “plot twists” were far from revelatory. I'm also concerned with the idea behind making Tate an escaped death row prisoner, let's be honest, within an hour of his escape he'd be the number one priority for every law enforcement agency in the country, including the FBI, realistically speaking they'd find and catch him within a matter of days and there was very little evidence during the pilot that either the law was hunting him or that he was scared of being caught, he was even in a hospital for a considerable about of time, but I guess I'll maybe have to suspend my disbelief on this plot point. They also took every single opportunity to hammer-home the "Believe" buzz-word with a little knowing glance and camera close-up, I get it already, people need to believe – the proverbial horse was definitely dead by the end of the episode.

So, it does have some issues, but overall I think it has a good shot at being a success, although I do feel they need to take care with it's identity and quickly decide in which direction they wan it to go.
79 Comments
Comments (79)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This show w as s awesome. I couldn't wait until next week.
Flag
Sorry if this kinda spoils the first episode but when she went to get the turtle I started yelling telling her not to and I got so mad
Flag
I liked it, I think it has good potential.
Flag
Just got round to watching the pilot, thought it was quite good and entertaining enough. It definitely reminds me of Touch which I liked but as in the review, I can also see the weekly person in need of assistance procedural. The Delroy Lindo character kinda set that up when he talked about all the people that can be helped on their journey. The other problem is that the pilot also suggests that there is no clear end game to being on the run from the people giving chase. Again, Lindo explains that Tate's role is to look after her for years. I won't write it off just yet and will certainly tune in for a few episodes to see how it shapes up. If it turns into the weekly procedural, going from town to town with bits of additional plot thrown in, then I won't believe in it for long!
Flag
I have not seen it yet but it really reminds me of the 80s movie starring Drew Barrymore called Fire starter.

I know the pilot for this show is available but is Crisis available? I am quite excited to watch Crisis. Sounds like a really good show and I liked the cast.
Flag
Yes, Crisis is available.
Flag
Well I saw that coming at the start. Blacklist. I don't know where it would go though
Flag
It was far too obvious, anyone surprised by that "twist" needs to watch more TV!
Flag
Ok I just watched the pilot and it was good and I saw a lot of potential. I could she Bo and Tate becoming close as they were running from the bad guys. I liked this first show. I also loved touch until they totally destroyed it and it went down the crapper. This show is similar with the same undertones only it seems the little girl has powers. We will see how it pans out. I will watch again, because what saw I liked. So we will see how it goes..

Flag
Every time I saw a commercial for this, I couldn't help but recall "Save the cheerleader, save the world."
Flag
As is obvious from my posts below - I really want this to work. Having watched the pilot - it would be 100% accurate to simply copy what @grumpyclown posted. He said exactly what I feel. The pedigree is amazing and I have to Believe in it (see what I did there?) ...but as I rip on Helix for this I have to objective regarding this show as well. There was lazy plot devices written in to the pilot. No spoilers - but think through that prison escape... wut? That isn't even close to be a realistic scenario.

I'm in for starters. Hopefully the best is to come. I am sure someone will reorder all the episodes so we get the best ones first. (little Almost Human joke)
Flag
Yeah...the prison scene seemed like a Shawshank rip-off.
Flag
LOL. Not sure a max prison (where executions are done) would have a single hatch (on the way to the gas chamber, no less!) that drops right down to a sewer and out the door. That was eye rolling
Flag
Yes the prison break was totally unrealistic. That was the only big dumb in this first one.
Flag
And the pigeons attacking that British assassin woman - that was terrible.
Flag
I kept watching that thinking, why isn't she just shooting him? It took nearly a minute before they totally swarm her. And who stands stll - I'l cover my face and run like hell! These are good examples of what I meant by lazy and unintelligent writing. The "look cool" factor over common sense. I HATE that.
Flag
"The "look cool" factor over common sense" Ahem Helix! I hate that too! Single-handedly ruins a TV show.
Flag
A British woman getting attacked by pigeons. It was supposed to be a comedy right?
(not so impressed by the pilot as you might have figured out already)
Flag
That scene was rubbish! Easily the worst part of the pilot - I can't believe I forgot to mention it!
Flag
It was a bad scene for sure. Along with father/daughter tagteam jumping out of the hospital window behind her back. Lame even if she was drugged up.
But I will probably give it at least one more episode before I tune out completely. I was a fan of Touch but that one started out so much stronger imo so I'm not putting much hope on Believe...
Flag
I hope that maybe this show could learn the lesson from Grimm, which I love, but we all occasionally complain about the out of the blue procedural episodes which seem to be done at the expense of a fairly elaborate mythology we would all rather it concentrate on. Heck, follow POI's lead on that where we all look side eyed at these little one off episodes. They might just be that because the writers clearly needed an emotional break. They might smack you in the head in the last twenty minutes, or randomly have an episode just before Christmas which appears to be a quiet little episode and then you start putting the pieces together and are like oh crap.
Flag
On the plus side-
Bo (the kid), was good - charming and a but odd. Her relationship with Tate has some passable chemistry which might improve over a few episodes.
Some of the special powers Bo possesses are displayed during the pilot and one display was very well done.

On the minus side-
Clunky and uneven. Not much time spent on a backstory for any of the characters.
The script and characters need a lot of work.
The baddie tries to be glib or funny at times, which does not succeed.

6/10 - probably worth a 4 episode test before deciding to commit
Flag
Has potential, seems like it will almost the route of the pretender.
Flag
I really liked the first episode, great idea and it has potential with interesting characters and story, I hope it sticks around. :)
Flag
Just watched the advertisement for this on Watch, which is a tv channel for re-runs/repeats...which is what i watch Dr Who on :)

My point is not a good start if all the major uk networks passed on it. And as for him being a prison badass, he looks like someone who would be traded NOT the trader.

When Delroys character goes to pick him, the alleged 'badass' has the obligatory long hair because obviously barbers do not visit Death Row
Flag
I am a huge fan of Alfonso Cuaron (long before Gravity was released) and I enjoy JJ Abrams (probably one of the few left) but this one isn't grabbing me at all, because of Alfonso Cuaron I will check out a few episodes but I don't want to invest in a series that has cancelled written on it.
Flag
I was a little standoffish about Crisis...I'll check out your review. It just seemed like 15 other things NBC has tried. Surprised they didn't call it Chicago: Crisis. Still want the next NBC masterpiece - the Clinic drama, Chicago: STD. Nonetheless - I cannot make judgement until I dive in. I have really had it with the CBS Acronym shows however. I still enjoy NCIS because of the cast (now that Ziva is gone, it takes a hit) . NOw ANOTHER NCIS spinoff? Why not just infuse these ideas in your MAIN show and make it better! And now CSI: Lizard Lick and so on... enough already. Same way with the Law and Orders and so on.
Flag
I recently dropped NCIS: LA, Criminal Minds and Hawaii Five-0. We're behind on NCIS (original)in the UK so I'm still watching it with Ziva, but I've heard it's actually better without her so I decided to stick around until then and give it a re-boot 4 Episode Test. I do still watch CSI and The Mentalist as well but, like NCIS, we're behind The States so I'm catching up to some recent changes, they are very low on my list however, so if something better comes along and actually sticks on the schedule I'll be dropping them. As for NBC's Chicago obsession, do you think this is as a result of Boss? I liked that show, but now every cop/political drama revolves around the fact that Chicago is corrupt - it's getting a little old.
Flag
Networks in general, really do "Baby Seal" these concepts to death if they are popular. I think they should accept that ORIGINAL might take a sec to catch on, but the prospects for an eventual "genre changer" could put that network back on the map. See: L O S T
Flag
This is looking good also that JJ is connected to this one.
Flag
Yeah, but it depends how much influence Abrams actually has. Any show that Bad Robot Productions is involved with has Abrams down as EP, if he has no actual input on the series. But it does look promising.
Flag
Yeah but generally I've liked everything from Bad Robot except that s**tstorm of a show Revolution
Flag
I'm getting excited about this one looks good but I have so many other things that start or start back up in march it's ridiculous I don't know how I'm going to catch up. Oh well I'll find a way :)
Flag
I'm the same. I currently have over 80 shows that I'm trying to keep up/catch up with. It's ridiculous. I need to ditch some.
Flag
Wait...over 80 shows is an exaggeration right?
Lol, though this large number did compel me to figure out just how many shows I'm currently watching (whether they're airing now, a series' that's in between seasons or older/cancelled shows that I'm catching up on) and I could only come up with 37 right now.
So anyway if it is over 80 shows, I don't know if I should be impressed or concerned that you're not getting enough sleep ;)
Flag
I was serious when I said over 80, but it's actually much worse than that, bearing in mind I'm in the UK and a lot of our series often constitute only 6 to 12 episodes and we are behind the US on a lot of their programming, and including shows that are:
*currently on hiatus (US 22 + UK 41),
*cancelled but I'm behind on (8),
*shows that I'm trying to catch-up with (21, including 6 I'm yet to start),
*new shows undergoing the 4 Episode Test (8 including those that première this week),
and I think it works out at 143 in total!

Just the shows that are currently on air that I'm up-to-date with (and not a part of the 4 Episode Test) is a very manageable 43, all the others I fit in as an when I can (especially summer and the Christmas hiatus).

And, no, I probably don't get enough sleep!
Flag
Can I ask how/where you've been able to watch these pilots? Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.
Flag
No, that's fine. I'll send you a PM.
Flag
Loved the pilot and looking forward to seeing where they take the story. I'm a little worried that they may slow things down a bit with focusing mainly on the case of the week (in a manner of speaking), and really hope that isn't so.

And now I gotta watch Crisis! ;)
Flag
You have the exact same concern as me, turning this thing in to a procedural with a regular 10 minutes of "oh no, they nearly caught us" will ruin the interesting premise they have set-up. Finger crossed.
I wrote a review for Crisis too (you can find it in the show community), let me know what you think.
Flag
Will definitely do that...

I think Person of Interest has really messed up the whole procedural drama thing for me. It's one of those series that not only has cases of the week, but it also has an extremely strong developing back story and character arcs.

Well ok, I'm not expecting Believe to be "that" good. But let's see.

Just got my hands on the Crisis preview. Will read your review after I've had the chance to watch it first ;)
Flag
Thanks for putting this up Trev. Let me know if you want some help covering it when it airs if TV.COM abandons it like they did Almost Human.

Flag
Thanks for the offer, to honest with you I probably won't be reviewing each episode when it airs, that's not really something I do, but I thought both this pilot and the Crisis pilot looked good so I decided to share that with people and maybe help garner some excitement for the shows. I will probably write another batch of 4 Episode Tests, of which Crisis and Believe will almost certainly feature (and hopefully they'll both pass). Now that I know you're reviewing Almost Human I'll check it out.
Flag
Only because "abandons" is pretty harsh, and I've recently answered the same concerns in my most recent Shameless review, some quick thoughts...

Reviews for quality shows unfortunately don't always find an audience on our site. We do our best to balance reviewing critically acclaimed shows, fan favorites, and new ones with potential, but we have a small staff, so we can't possibly cover everything. There's so much amazing TV right now!

We try to be as transparent as possible about what shows write reviews for, but we've also built out Show Communities in the hope that shows we can't cover regularly can get some love from extremely knowledge fans. Your Almost Human reviews are the perfect example - they spur great discussions and we're very glad to have them! If we don't end up covering Believe weekly, we hope one or more users (multiple viewpoints are awesome) will find it entertaining enough to post their own thoughts regularly. Give me a shout via PM if you have any more questions!
Flag
Your first 2 paragraphs give the usual tv.com response which is needed since there are new people on the site. However I would argue about there being so much amazing tv on right now (hello, Olympics).

The lack of response (by Cory in this case) about potential duplication of work may cut down on the number of people (regular members) posting reviews. Imagine spending a ton of time writing a review just to have an official reviewer post a review on the same episode and get almost all the comments. Eddy is one of the talented writers, who is a regular member, with a keen sense of humor so his reviews are popular. Imagine others who spend the same amount of time and for some reason or another don't get many comments---likely they won't want to do it again. However if they knew there was not going to be a competing review then they may want to do another one. Please try to see it from this perspective. Sure the site wants multiple viewpoints but often they will all go in the comments on the official reviewer's article. This is discouraging to the user who isn't getting paid who does a review and later the "professional" does one.

There are multiple ways to look at it but please look at it from the users point of view. Yes the site would love a bunch of different reviews with different points of view but look at it from the member's point of view. They may see it as time wasted, duplication of work, not appreciated and maybe discouraged by the lack of comments in comparison to the "professional's" review. I'm glad Eddy is building a following and I enjoyed his review more than the other review.
More +
Flag
Pat - you have been fantastically helpful and encouraging. But while "abandoned" might be harsh - it is accurate. A show like Almost Human was given up for dead by staff for 6 weeks. So much so I started trying to do staff quality reviews. And when I made a simple request for Cory to tell me if he would be reviewing (so I didn't spend 5 hours being redundant) - - no reply. Nothing. Then out of the blue he puts up a review and writes like no one has been involved with the show since he has been gone. 2 minutes on the Community site would have educated him... and he could have congratulated the Community for all the participation.

No. Sorry. I admit when I am wrong, but in this case there is no other way to describe it.
Flag
Thanks Ed, appreciate the reply. I didn't expect the frustration that exists here, so I'd love to talk it out more via PM. Keep your eyes peeled for one today.

For both you and @Vicky8675309, the short answer on writers responding is that most, including Cory, are not full time Staff. They have full time jobs elsewhere, write for other sites, etc. so they are not on TV.com as often as you'd like them to be. I hear you loud and clear though, and given I always want more Community action, I'll be sure to discuss it with the team.

On covering as much great TV as we can... sadly, even with the Olympics on, we still can't get to everything that deserves a writeup. I don't agree at all that our posts render Community posts irrelevant, but I understand your concerns. In the future, please reach out to me or @TVcom_editorial and we'll try to keep you up to date when we're taking a break from regular coverage of a show, or hope to pick it back up later.
Flag
That is exactly what we ask for, Pat. Just a dialogue. NO full paragraphs and short stories - just a sentence of two here and there from staff who WANT us to read their stuff. If we take the time to read and respond, the least they can do is spend a minute or two looking over the Communities they write for. That is the heart of the matter I think.

Thanks for responding.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I retract "abandoned" for the sake of being polite. Trev - if the Community wants help in giving it the attention it MAY deserve - then let me know. I'd be happy to help out. My job allows me a lot of down time on my laptop.
Flag
I am really excited for this one. NBC aspect scares me, bu they may be more invested in it because they really need another hit like The Blacklist. I love anything Bad Robot...and to have Alfonso Cuaron doing the pilot... this could be another L O S T. I unabashedly LOVE what JJ Abrams does and waste a TON of time defending his work - especially the Star Trek movies. As an aside - I am a TOS guy and I adore the cast and the stories done in the new Trek and actually like he put a Star Wars element into it. I think SW will be awesome.

OK. "Believe" is in my wheelhouse as a supernatural thriller. Abrams does this stuff to perfection. I cannot WAIT!
Flag
I'm loving your enthusiasm! I can think of a few people who need to be more like you.

[You know who you are people!]
Flag
I am very impressed with NBC's slate of midseason shows( Believe, Crisis, About a Boy) they all intrigue me and I am especially excited for Believe
Flag
Great spoiler-free review!
It was entertaining and I wonder what direction the show will take. I'm going to avoid saying too much (avoid spoilers). I'll give it the 4 episode test.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members