Ben 10: Omniverse Forums

Saturday 9:00 AM on Cartoon NetworkBetween Seasons

Season 1 Discussion

Fourarms10

[61]Mar 18, 2013
    • level: 24

Gwen and Kevin's treatment in this show is pretty bad. Sure it's nice to see them again, but they have roles that any two chatacters could have done. Just because this series is called Ben 10, doesn't mean that Ben has to do all the big stuff while they only bring in Rook and the others when Ben's in trouble.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

edmasterchaos

[62]Mar 18, 2013
    • level: 41

Eh, I like the bigger focus on Ben. After so much of Kevin and Gwen's inconsistent and boring powers it's really nice to get back with the guy who can turn into aliens.

Fourarms10

[63]Mar 18, 2013
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Eh, I like the bigger focus on Ben. After so much of Kevin and Gwen's inconsistent and boring powers it's really nice to get back with the guy who can turn into aliens.

But now since they're guest stars, it'd be nice if they had a significant scene in their appearances rather than standing/running/talking around as dead weight. I was hoping they wouldn't do this to Rook either, but even then, they do so as well.

MaskedKitsune

[64]Mar 23, 2013
    • level: 2
    I never liked Julie much, so I got a good laugh out of how Ben accidentally broke up with her over the phone because he was too dumb to pause his game and talk to her.

edmasterchaos

[65]Mar 23, 2013
    • level: 41
    You don't pause an online game, gawd.

RaizenYusuke

[66]Mar 24, 2013
    • level: 28

It looks like the writers took a page from McDuffie team on breaking Ben and Juile off-screen and due to Ben's carelessness. I have mixed feelings on Juile. I liked her in Alien Force and the first season of Ultimate Alien, but disliked her in the second season of Ultimate Alien. I felt the writers turned a solid character secure of her relationship into a needy and flat character. I'm sure Omniverse is going to get crap about how they broke up Ben and Juile, but the McDuffie team messed up that pairing themselves.

Ben was really self-centered and a bit of a jerk (like he is here) to make a relationship with Juile or any other girl not possible. The episode he split himself into 3 basically boiled down to Ben wanting to skip out on her tennis game to see a movie she would have seen with him later. Juile got unreasonable though when she broke up with Ben the first time, because the media hounded him and had no time for her. I can understand her being annoyed the episode in UA had everyone treating Ben like an a-hole for not dropping everything to help Juile find Ship. Despite Ben and friends being in the middle of a battle with someone. Toward the end of the series the writers tried to make Juile/Ben pairing look better by basically bringing in a movie character/love interest to make her canon only to ruin the character and trashing her.

I can see why Ben and Juile aren't a couple in Omniverse now. I won't hold it against the Omniverse writers for something the previous writing team did. I found Juile to be no more annoying or better than she was in UA. Sorry for the rant. The episode was alright. I liked Ester returned and that Ben got out of his engagement to the Four Arms chick. The writers left some possiblity of Juile and Ben reuniting in the future by showing she still has a soft spot for him, but she needs a break. Honestly I don't think Ben can be in a relationship with his personality now. He needs to tone down the arrogance and self-centered attitude to be with anyone. Ben being oblivious to Ester's crush and attracted to her is hilarous and would welcome her returning as a love interest again.

Kevin and Gwen could be better used when they are on the show. Like in the Malaware finale didn't need them in it at all. They aren't regulars anymore, so when they do come back they should be able to do more and be showcased better. However, I think Gwen has suffered more than Kevin. Gwen was more useful and had more moments than Kevin. Kevin was the weakest of the power trio and he didn't contribute much. His absorbing powers were pretty limited. If they made him more like the Absorbing Man from Marvel he could have been cooler. Kevin needs more interesting skills to make him a more useful character. Gwen's powers can be way better if they keep exploring the magic part of it. Ever since the McDuffie team retconned Gwen's power being alien origin they became generic, much like Justice League/JLU series early usage of John Stewart's Green Lantern ring was just blasts and ignored the creative uses of the ring. UA was going a good direction by reintroducing Gwen's spells and magic studies to make her mana manipulation into more diverse like the original Ben 10. Omniverse should step up its game and evolve the characters more. But I have faith they will, because they did the same thing with Transformers Animated.

Fourarms10

[68]Mar 25, 2013
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

It looks like the writers took a page from McDuffie team on breaking Ben and Juile off-screen and due to Ben's carelessness. I have mixed feelings on Juile. I liked her in Alien Force and the first season of Ultimate Alien, but disliked her in the second season of Ultimate Alien. I felt the writers turned a solid character secure of her relationship into a needy and flat character. I'm sure Omniverse is going to get crap about how they broke up Ben and Juile, but the McDuffie team messed up that pairing themselves.

Ben was really self-centered and a bit of a jerk (like he is here) to make a relationship with Juile or any other girl not possible. The episode he split himself into 3 basically boiled down to Ben wanting to skip out on her tennis game to see a movie she would have seen with him later. Juile got unreasonable though when she broke up with Ben the first time, because the media hounded him and had no time for her. I can understand her being annoyed the episode in UA had everyone treating Ben like an a-hole for not dropping everything to help Juile find Ship. Despite Ben and friends being in the middle of a battle with someone. Toward the end of the series the writers tried to make Juile/Ben pairing look better by basically bringing in a movie character/love interest to make her canon only to ruin the character and trashing her.

I can see why Ben and Juile aren't a couple in Omniverse now. I won't hold it against the Omniverse writers for something the previous writing team did. I found Juile to be no more annoying or better than she was in UA. Sorry for the rant. The episode was alright. I liked Ester returned and that Ben got out of his engagement to the Four Arms chick. The writers left some possiblity of Juile and Ben reuniting in the future by showing she still has a soft spot for him, but she needs a break. Honestly I don't think Ben can be in a relationship with his personality now. He needs to tone down the arrogance and self-centered attitude to be with anyone. Ben being oblivious to Ester's crush and attracted to her is hilarous and would welcome her returning as a love interest again.

Kevin and Gwen could be better used when they are on the show. Like in the Malaware finale didn't need them in it at all. They aren't regulars anymore, so when they do come back they should be able to do more and be showcased better. However, I think Gwen has suffered more than Kevin. Gwen was more useful and had more moments than Kevin. Kevin was the weakest of the power trio and he didn't contribute much. His absorbing powers were pretty limited. If they made him more like the Absorbing Man from Marvel he could have been cooler. Kevin needs more interesting skills to make him a more useful character. Gwen's powers can be way better if they keep exploring the magic part of it. Ever since the McDuffie team retconned Gwen's power being alien origin they became generic, much like Justice League/JLU series early usage of John Stewart's Green Lantern ring was just blasts and ignored the creative uses of the ring. UA was going a good direction by reintroducing Gwen's spells and magic studies to make her mana manipulation into more diverse like the original Ben 10. Omniverse should step up its game and evolve the characters more. But I have faith they will, because they did the same thing with Transformers Animated.

Well said dude, Well said. As for the whole premise, they could have had Kevin going to college early rather than Gwen since he seems smart enough to get a G.E.D. Besides, a cousin duo would be cool *Cough Catch a falling Star*.

Fourarms10

[69]Mar 31, 2013
    This post has been closed. Any discussion related to episodes goes into the "Episodes Discussion" thread.