Ben 10: Omniverse Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2014)

When the heck are Ben and Gwen turning 17?

Fourarms10

[1]Mar 3, 2013
    • level: 24
    It's like they froze time on everyone's ages. To date, Ben and Gwen are still 16 and Kevin is still 17. UA has hinted that the school year is back in session meaning their birthdays are in a month or two. Gwen mentioned that she and Kevin came over for Spring break. I came to realize that their Spring break as 16 year old was during UA season 1 since UA started merely weeks after the trio's birthdays. They should've aged up by now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RaizenYusuke

[2]Mar 24, 2013
    • level: 28

I think they wanted to keep them 16 and Kevin 17 to keep the teen hero vibe and keep him from aging. Personally I wouldn't mind if these series aged Ben up to 17 or 18. It would have made Gwen leaving for college not feel a bit weird. Granted some people do graduate early and get into college early, but still feels a bit off.

I think the writers need to tone down Ben's arrogance a bit and mature him a bit. It is odd how the first season of AF is when Ben was his most mature. After that he kept regressing into a big headed and self-centered hero. Omniverse does show Ben's better qualities from time to time and had a episode that acknowledges Ben needs to grow up more and have Ben himself acknowledge his behavior isn't acceptable in the form of Ben 23 and mentoring him for a bit. I would say the writers are toning it down some.

Fourarms10

[3]Mar 25, 2013
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

I think they wanted to keep them 16 and Kevin 17 to keep the teen hero vibe and keep him from aging. Personally I wouldn't mind if these series aged Ben up to 17 or 18. It would have made Gwen leaving for college not feel a bit weird. Granted some people do graduate early and get into college early, but still feels a bit off.

I think the writers need to tone down Ben's arrogance a bit and mature him a bit. It is odd how the first season of AF is when Ben was his most mature. After that he kept regressing into a big headed and self-centered hero. Omniverse does show Ben's better qualities from time to time and had a episode that acknowledges Ben needs to grow up more and have Ben himself acknowledge his behavior isn't acceptable in the form of Ben 23 and mentoring him for a bit. I would say the writers are toning it down some.

I'll be honest. One of the reasons I still watch Ben 10 was because of the story. It's (sadly was) moving forward. It gives me more feels that I started watch Ben 10 when I was 10 myself. I felt as if I was growing up with the Trio, but now that they're going to be the same age for the rest of the franchise, things are going to feel different. I was also anxious to find out which Ben 10k he'll become, but now that he's going to stay the same age, that'll never happen.

About Ben though, I hated how in The frogs of war, he mentioned Agreggor as if he'd been the one who defeated him. He should've realized that he got his ass kicked by choosing the wrong Alien whereas Ult Cannonbolt would've done better since he's one of the few aliens that actually hit him. His personality would be even better if he stopped boasting about saving the universe knowing well that he had help from either Gwen, Max, Kevin, Rook, and especially Azmuth.

Writerpatrick

[4]Dec 3, 2013
    • level: 13
    The problem with making the characters a couple years older is that they're then young adults, and the show is trying to appeal to kids. And as young adults there's the issue of romance to deal with, and I don't think the producers want to go there.

Fourarms10

[5]Dec 5, 2013
    Writerpatrick wrote:
    The problem with making the characters a couple years older is that they're then young adults, and the show is trying to appeal to kids. And as young adults there's the issue of romance to deal with, and I don't think the producers want to go there.
    The thing is that not all young adults focus on romance. Many of them try to focus more on finding what they want to become.