Ben 10: Omniverse

Saturday 9:00 AM on Cartoon Network Premiered Aug 01, 2012 Between Seasons

Fourarms10

Ben 10: Omniverse Fan Reviews (58)

5.6
  • Not as bad as people say it is.

I've been hearing a lot of negative things about this series. True, it has it's flaws, but it also has a lot of good points, which people seem to be ignoring in favor of griping about how the animation style is terrible, or the characters are childish.

I will admit the format has gotten softer, but it's not all bad. While the animation took some getting used, I find it stands out well compared to the dark tones of of Alien Force/Ultimate Alien, and some of the character redesigns are actually improvements over the originals, like Psyphon or Zombozo's new looks. Ben may seem more childish now, but he still has his moments of nobility, and some of the new villains are really sinister and dark, like Malware and Khyber.

I prefer to focus on the positives of this series, like how they've brought back classic aliens from the original series, such as Eye Guy and Arctiguana (updating their looks in the process),and utilising underused characters from previous series (The Incurseans, in particular, are made out to be the threat they were only suggested to be in previous series, Attea in particular). The flashbacks to young Ben's adventures between the original series and Alien Force are fun, harkening back to Ben's original personality, and the way they often tie in to present stories are clever. And the writer's managing to link together the convoluted continuities of all four series works out most of the time, bringing in elements and plot points from across the franchise.

Am I saying Omniverse is perfect? No. But it's far from the total garbage some are making it out to be. Derrick Wyatt took some chances with this series, and I think they really paid off. I will be watching this series until it's end, like a true fan would.