Ben 10: Ultimate Alien Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2012)

What is your Favorite Season of Ben 10: Ultimate Alien?

What is your Favorite Season of Ben 10: Ultimate Alien?

DBTrilogy100

[1]May 4, 2012
    • level: 7

Well, with Ultimate Alien is finished up and Omniverse is coming in a few months, I figured I'd make a poll for the fans' favorite season of Ultimate Alien, like I did for the Original Series and Alien Force. As usual, let's hear your reasons for your choices, that's part of the fun!

Personally, I thought both Seasons were pretty good.

Season 1 had the three inter-connected Arcs of "Aggregor's Prisoners", "Map of Infinity" and "Ultimate Kevin" for a great Saga. The Andromeda Five were an interesting group of characters and Aggregor was a great villain (which made his "anti-climactic defeat" a real shame).I also liked how there were only five "stand alone episodes" (or "filler episodes", depending on who you ask) and that most were at the beginning to get them out of the way. This season also gets props revealing Charmcaster's backstory, making Argit a "love to hate character" (for me, at least) and finally explaining Kevin's sudden personality change (as well as why Ben trusted him so easily). Seeing Kid Ben again and Kevin's (brief) turn to the Dark Side were nice touches (like I've said before, Kevin makes a good anti-hero, but I liked him better as a villain). Probably the only thing I didn't like about the "Ultimate Kevin Arc" was ben being so "trigger happy" about killing Kevin. Learning more about Kevin's backstory was also a plus.

Season 2's main story of the "Diagon Saga" was a really good, which is why it would have been nice if it had a couple more episodes dedicated to it. There were more "stand alone episodes" in this season then the previous. Not all of them were bad, I found It's Not Easy Being Gwen, Ben 10000 Returns, Moonstruck, The Enemy of My Frenemy and Couples Retreat, for example, to be some of the best episodes from the franchise. Others, such as Eye of the Beholder, The Big Story, The Widening Gyre and The Mother of All Vreedles, I could live without. Chamalien and Clock Work were great additions to the alien roster to me, but I was not big on Fast Track, the writers "spamming him" in the last stretch of episodes didn't help matters either. The main story of the season deserves props for rescuing the Forever Knights from "Villain Decay"; Old George was a great character, I really liked that he was more of a "friendly enemy" to Ben and was a "shadow archetype" of him, as well. Vilgax's return was nice, especially because he got to show his cunning and manipulative side. I also liked how Ben's last conflict in the finale was an internal one.

Well that's my input on the topic, let's hear your's!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

syrusfan

[2]May 4, 2012
    • level: 38

Season 1. Aggregor was a more interesting villain and its plot was more straightforward. The Dagon plot went a little crazy.

perualonso1

[3]May 4, 2012
    • level: 18

Season 1 was awesome to the core. The best story arc to be ever created in Ultimate Alien Season 1 is the "Ultimate Kevin" story arc. The only downside was Ben wanting to kill him so badly. As for the episodes, the best ones in my opinion are Fame, Hero Time, Where the Magic Happens, The Forge of Creation, and Absolute Power.

Season 2 was okay. The "Diagon" story arc was almost as good as the "Ultimate Kevin" story arc from Season 1. While Season 2 wasn't the best, it had its moments. The best episodes I enjoyed watching are The Transmogrification of Eunice, The Big Story, Moonstruck, The Purge, The Ultimate Sacrifice, The Widening Gyre, and The Ultimate Enemy.

I'm definitely looking forward to watching Ben 10: Omniverse this fall.

Question for DBT100: With each episode you didn't like, why include The Big Story and The Widening Gyre? I thought The Big Story was great since Ben's #1 fan, Jimmy Jones got the limelight. And if it weren't for Kevin, The Widening Gyre wouldn't be the funniest episode in Ben 10 history.

Edited on 05/04/2012 2:34pm

Fourarms10

[4]May 8, 2012
    • level: 24
    Season one had more of a story. Each of the twenty episodes dealt with Aggregor, Ben's Fame, or both in the same episode. Season 2 started shifting towards AF Season 3 which had a bunch of filler in it. However, UA's season 2 was more of the downfall since they overpowered Diagon so much that they had to rush the finale.

RaizenYusuke

[5]May 12, 2012
    • level: 28

Season 1 without a question.

What I liked:

The story arc was tighter. Most people said this already, but most of the episode revolved around the plot. The build up was great, the pace was just right, and a decent conclusion.

Kevin's personality change in AF is finally explained. A proper reason for why Kevin will not absorb energy is given to us.

Aggergor was an interesting villain. He was a great threat and made the series serious like the Highbreed did for AF, but unlike them he had personality and wasn't just a mindless drone. He remined me of Vilgax somewhat from the original series.

Charmcaster's history is explored.

Old aliens return: Fourarms, Ripjaws, Chromastone (who disappeared in AF's third season).

New aliens: The Andremona 5 had interesting powers and brought their own skills into the mix.

Kevin 11 returned. He was my second favorite villain in the original series. I was very happy to see him come back and fight Ben. The story made Ben serious and consider the option of killing Kevin to end his madness once and for all. It was very Ben 10,000 of him (the good one not the bad one UA introduced).

What I disliked:

Aggergor ran way too much. The Map of Infinity mini-arc was the same every time. Aggergor would get there first and wait for Ben and his group to do all his work then he would run despite having the power to beat them all. Ultimate Aggergor felt wasted. He fought Ben and company head to head two or three times.

Poor use of aliens. When Ben is on a water planet and Ripjaws is not used once that is poor planning on epic levels. Ripjaws is only good in the water. There aren't a whole lot of situations where he will be useful.

Kevin 11 story arc. The writers were too afraid to make Kevin as insane and crazy as he was in the original because they did not want to alienate him from the audience so he could return to the heroes without us feeling it was out of place. But as a result it made Ben's decision to kill Kevin seem unneccsary and alienated him from the fans! Kevin trying to kill the corrupt warden who killed his friend was supposed to make us take Ben's side and think killing Kevin is justfiable. They should have made unleashed Kevin and made him go on spree of terror where he hurt lots of people to make him a galatic threat in order to make us see why Ben would consider killing him.

Weak final battles. The final battles with Aggergor and Kevin 11 were lackluster. Ben used more of his alien heroes on Gwen when they fought than he did either of them.

Overall it was a great season. The second season of UA was a big stepdown for me. The story took way too long get going and fell apart on itself. Diagon turned out to be lame, Vilgax had unlimted power only to be beaten five minutes later by Ben easily, and the show turned into a bad fan fiction with its romance. Elena was introduced to make Juile look better by comparison. I expected more from the great Mastero. I hope he did not have anything to do with that story. I disliked Ben 10,000 of UA. It wasn't McDuffie's best work. I could not get behind Ultimate Ben and am glad the Ultimatrix is gone just so Ultimate Ben future is avoided.

Endoplasmic888

[6]Jun 8, 2012
    • level: 7
    Season 1. Season 2 bored me and the Diagon plot was kind of messy.

Fourarms10

[7]Jun 9, 2012
    • level: 24
    Endoplasmic888 wrote:
    Season 1. Season 2 bored me and the Diagon plot was kind of messy.
    Exactly, especially the finale. DIagon's is powered up way too much making the finale seem more unrealistic and rushed in order to get the series done.