Ben 10

And Then There Were 10

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Dec 27, 2005 on Cartoon Network

• A decent pilot.

This pilot episode to the popular cartoon Ben 10 has its share of mixed moments, but fortunately there were a lot more good than bad. For one it opened up pretty good, if a little cliche. We have the supernatural part of the show with the aliens chasing a coveted treasure known as the omnitrix, and then Ben, your average young child with a dream to save the world but often falls short. His dreams come true though when the alien device the omnitrix falls on his lap and he quickly adapts to its powers and battling robots almost immediately.

Much of the first episode was paced really well; a lot of development in terms of story and character, especially the relationship between Gwen and Ben taking cheap shots at each other at every moment, and grandpa, the stabilizer of the group and mentor. It sort of plateaued though once Ben found his alien toy. The whole intrigue of the omnitrix really dissipated; the mystery revolving around it was figured out in just the span of a minute. That sort of killed it even if we haven't met the other forms of Ben. Nonetheless though, still a solid episode.