Ben 10

Tough Luck

Aired Saturday 10:00 AM Jul 12, 2006 on Cartoon Network

• Hoverboard, nuff said.

I had to google the hoverboard to remember where it came from, thought it was just a random addition to the episode, but it wasn't. Nonetheless even if it wasn't introduced before. The song that plays in the background is pretty catchy. Awesome, just awesome. Can't say the same for the rest of the episode. The return of Lucky Girl is pretty nice, but like the last time, shortlived and lacking in depth. One of the many problems of a half hour television show is fitting enough content in one episode, and time and time again, Ben 10 has suffered from this problem. There were just too many things going on, and Charmcaster's double crossing was very predictable. On the other hand, Hoverboard, nuff said.
  • I especially like the hoverboard part.

This is one of the better episodes of the series, the sole reason being that it no longer focuses on Grandpa Max. Gwen has always been an interesting character, always picking on Ben (and vice versa) but actually caring a lot about him. I also liked the Lucky Girl episode, and so when she returns, though only briefly, it is quite a treat for me. Charmcaster was also developed well. The only gripe I have is similar to the other episodes', the plot is moving far too quickly. Instead of cramming too much action into the plot, maybe some explanation of the Keystone's history would be appreciated.
  • good episode.

Gwen's dons her Lucky Girl costume again upon finding the Keystone of Bezel at a convention in Las Vegas. Rather than magical luck, the Keystone increases all of Gwen's natural abilities, making her a more efficient heroine. At the same time, Hex has been busted out of prison by his niece, Charmcaster, and seeks to use the keystone to restore the destroyed charms. Charmcaster tricks Gwen into trusting her so that she could easily take the Keystone and give it to Hex. However, Charmcaster double-crosses her uncle so that she can take the Charms power for herself. Wildvine stops the recreation process and Gwen defeats Charmcaster herself. To do so, she instinctively fires an energy blast from Hex's staff, suggesting an affinity for magic.
  • At the same time Gwen's powers return, Hex and his niece Charmcaster devise a plan to recreate the Charms of Bezel.

This episode was very good. Gwen is one of my favorite characters and it was great to see her powers return again. Charmcaster is really cool too. I like her powers and her eyes because they're my favorite color. My favorite scenes include: the scene where Gwen throws a pillow at Ben's face, the scene in the maze where Ben and Gwen attempt to stop Hex, and the scene at the end of the episode where Ben is riding on his hoverboard and fighting Hex in the mid-air. The only scene I didn't care for was the beginning scene when Ben rescued the bus full of old people.
  • "Tough Luck" for Hex and his niece, Charmcaster. Even with the help of the Charms of Bazell, nothing other than a strong heart represents true strength.

When they arrive at Las Vegas at a magic convention center, Gwen finds the magical legendary Keystone of Bazell, giving her the ability of not only the power of Lucky Girl, but also the enhancements to her normal attributes. Our heroes meet with Hex the Magician again, but this time, his niece, Charmcaster, comes along to add to the problem. Her cunning ways trick Gwen into letting her acquire the keystone, thus completing their mission to re-create the charms that Gwen destroyed under her free will. Charmcaster listened to Hex along the way, but it seems that she was only using her own uncle to guide her along the way. She succeeded in taking advantage of Hex, but she was not powerful enough to break the power of Lucky Girl, with the charm or not.
  • Hex is back with his niece: charm caster. Lucky girl is back. Will Gwen be able to stop Hex and charmcaster without magic?

This was a really cool episode Lucky Girl is back! Ben is getting board of saving people and is glad Lucky Girl can help. Wildvine (I think thats the name) appears I was like "WHOOP!" He's cool but it was wierd that Charmcaster was betraying Gwen and Hex. She looks kinda pretty but then again not really cool. This was Gwen episode and at the end when Gwens charm glowed I think it could mean that Lucky Girls power will come back while she is riding Ben's hoverboard. Also when Charmcaster says "You can't use the staff its for advanced wizards" Gwen has more power then she realizes.
  • Gwen becomes Lucky Girl again, and Hex comes back with the help of his niece.

This epi. was amazing!! When I first saw "Lucky Girl," it was cool that Gwen got powers. Unfortunately, at the end of that one she gave up being a super hero, but you knew she would come back as one, because at the end of that epi. there was a close up of the mask she wore. Now, in this epi. Gwen comes back as Lucky Girl, only this time, she has more skill than luck from the new stone that she is wearing. Unfortunately for Gwen, Hex comes back, and he has help from his niece, Charmcaster. Apparently, they need the stone that Gwen has to recreate the original magical stones that she destroyed, only this time their powers would be enhanced. When they finally get the stone from her, they almost succeed until Gwen accidently saves the day. (With help from her Grandpa an Ben.) I wonder what happened to Hex and Charmcaster? Also, I have a feeling that Gwen is going to be Lucky Girl again because at the end of the epi. the stone glowed. Anyway, Great epi. and so I give it an out of this world 10!!
  • This episode is by far the best of season 2.

Along with a great story, animation, and uhh average voice acting, this episode had great backgrounds fight scenes, and location interaction. The only thing this episode needs is nachos courtesy of Fred Fred Burger. This episode won't really make sense if you haven't seen "Lucky Girl" which is this episode's only big flaw. Whether this episode creates more Gwen the Superhero type episodes or not, there should be more episodes like "Tough Luck" in the future of Ben 10. If there isn't, I only see this show lasting 4 seasons. It's no Teen Titans, but it's good enough. Great episode.