Benson

ABC (ended 1986)

gwactuary

User Score: 2009

Benson Fan Reviews (7)

• A funny show during the Reagan years.

I watched Benson during its original run on ABC, and I am watching bits and pieces of TV Land’s 48 hour marathon, although I feel the cable network’s tradition of introducing a new show to its line-up with a 2 day marathon is over kill. I have to say that the show is frequently very funny, and certainly cute, often lapsing into extreme sentimentality, certainly not groundbreaking or controversial. It definitely looks like a Witt/Thomas/Harris show, particularly with its extreme lighting, and musical transitions. Benson has many of the same writers and producers that would go on to work on The Golden Girls. I still prefer the Norman Lear shows, where adults actually discuss real life issues and take sides. Susan Harris got an early start with Lear, writing the controversial abortion episode of Maude. Viewers wishing to catch a glimpse of a young Jerry Seinfeld will be disappointed. His one season appearances as Frankie are brief, and unmemorable. In watching the marathon, some episodes have Seinfeld listed in the closing credits, although he is not in them. Fans of TV themes will also notice that the Benson opening is edited and cut short, like The Golden Girls in syndication.