Between the Lions

PBS Premiered Apr 03, 2000 In Season

Between the Lions Fan Reviews (9)

7.1
  • Educational but unoriginal.

This is not a bad show. It is just an average show that is very educational and is a bit of a rip-off of other shows like Sesame Street and Reading Rainbow. The comedy was okay for kids, but it gets old after a period of time and becomes stale. The things that I like are fact that it teaches kids words and how to read. One thing that it does very well is make reading interesting. At the same time, the show didn't expand itself to help kids go beyond really small words. Overall, it was an okay show with some educational value. Thank you.
  • Leona, Lionel, Leo and Cleo live (it seems) and work in the library. They read fantastic stories with fantastic songs and make it fun!

This show is great! I wish all kids programming took education this seriously, and yet had so much fun! I've watched a handful of episodes while on break from work, and I think it's funny! The use of puppets and all different types of animation is wonderful! They stories they read are delightful and I love how clever the musical numbers are! I hope this show is around when I have kids, if not I hope it goes onto DVD. Not many shows are funny, educational, and not painful to watch as an adult. These people definitely got it right!
  • Click has a computer virus, today! Today! Lionel opened the free bee mail! Oy vay! Oy vay!

This was one of the creepiest episodes of this show that I've ever seen! Theo thought that Lionel was responsible enough to run the returns desk in the library. Lionel took the job and was doing great when he was returning the Monkey pop-up Theater books. Then he started singing to himself about how he's gonna be a librarian in the library someday. But then he gets a "Free-Bee" email. Click explains that Free-bee means when something is free, she also says that he shouldn't open the email because it may have a computer virus. Lionel doesn't listen and puts click to manual and opens the email. Then a queen-bee appears on the screen, congrats them from opening the mail and stings Click giving her a virus! Once Click is stung, she and all the computers in the library get sick. The bee's laugh fills the air, "hee! hee! hee! hee! hee! hee!" and the library goes haywire: Screens for other segments flying all over the room, lighting flashes and, for some reason, a pair of Swedish dancers dance around in the background. Meanwhile up in the garden, Cleo reads "The Empty Pot" to Leona. A Chinese book about a boy who couldn't make a seed grow, no matter what pot he planted it in. Back at the library, while Theo was taking a nap, the library is still under the virus' control! Lionel panics as he runs around screaming, and Click starts shaking all over the desk and tells Lionel to load the anti-virus software. He dose this, it scans for the virus, finds it, deletes it and loads all the files and programs that were lost when the virus came. Later, Theo wakes up from his nap and asks Lionel is there were any problems. At first, he didn't want to tell him, but he admit about the virus and said that it all started with the email. Theo understands, and says that it would explain why he suddenly had the words " hee! hee!" printed on his glasses. Theo also says that since Lionel had the courage to tell him the truth, he would still be a great librarian.
  • A terrific childrens TV show, which is as educational as entertaining, focusing on the development of reading skills.

My son has watched this show from ages 3 to present (6 today) and has highly advanced reading skills. I\'d recommend this show to any parent, as BTL is as good as the Electric Company was in my day. Along with Mr. Rogers Neighborhood, these two shows should be in every child\'s watch list.
  • A Lot Like The Electric Company.

At The Time That I Wrote This, The Rating Said Mediocre. Maybe It's Because It's A Lot Like Sesame Street. Or maybe they are trying to take over Sesame Street. They teach kids things like the alphabet, and had Bert, Ernie, And Big Bird on the show. They air a lot of Clips, and it is exactly like "The Electric Company". Except it has more animals in it They really should bring that show back.

It is a great library, and it is a very funny show. The Vowelles, and all they really were was a bunch of lips with hair. And then there was Martha Reader, and Johnny Consonante, and Dr. Ruth Wordheimer, and Smarmy Marmy, Cliff Hanger, Chicken Jane, Monkey PopUp Theatre, Vowel Boot Camp, Click, and there were so many others.

It is one of the greatest shows, and I hope it lasts for a very long time.
  • Simply adorable!

This is a returning series? I wasn't aware that it was being made anymore! That's great to hear.
    I was flipping through channels one day when I accidentally came upon BtL. I fell in love with Cleo, Theo, Leona, and Lionel. They've got to be just about the cutest puppets ever! And while the series is wonderful for kids, it isn't "too dumbed down" for parents to enjoy.
  • Thsi show reminds me a lot of Sesame Street but I still think it is uniqe. It really teaches kids how to read.

Between the Lions is a great show. It really teaches you how to read, pronounce and unonciate words. I like how the break down and get other words that rhyme too. Too bad I was about 9 yrs old when it came out. I already knew how to read. Some times they even have celebrites on the show too. Like Indi Arie. Great show!
  • I soooo disagree with this mediocre rating! I believe this is the best show since reading rainbow. Hey, it may even be better than the alphabet people. So many shows focus on encouraging children to read, but this is the only show i've seen that gives chi

I soooo disagree with this mediocre rating! I believe this is the best show since reading rainbow. Hey, it may even be better than the alphabet people. So many shows focus on encouraging children to read, but this is the only show i've seen so far that actually gives children the tools needed to learn how to read. Yes, Sesame Street introduces kids to letters and their sounds, but they never introduce constanant blending! They never talk about silent letters! Let's not even get into dipthongs! Yes, the show could use some new segments and what's with the old guy from the Mickey Mouse club, all in all, Between the Lions is an excellent show for little ones! I enjoy it because it usually comes on around the time Jerry or Maury come on. Why watch dribble, when you can move in and out of a story!
  • Between the Lions- Great Show!!

Very educational. I'd recommend it!! I have a two year old Cousin that just loves it. He can sit there and watch the whole show without moving. Just seeing how much he loves it make me so happy. You know your child really understands it. And learning from it too.Just today he came running to me saying "Between the Lions", he was looking to watch it. We had missed the show.