Beverly Hills 90210

Aired Thursday 8:00 PM Nov 04, 1998 on FOX

7.6
  • Goodbye 90210

4.5
    For the last few seasons 90210 stopped being the once great show it used to be. The main problem was that the cast was aging and lost a key demographic teens. Beverly Hills 90210 became a second Melrose Place. But the key reason the loyal audience still watched was Jason Priestley's Brandon Walsh. He was the central character and moral compass. With him gone the show had no choice but bringing back Luke Perry but it was too late.
  • 8 Years later & the unofficial end to 90210.

This episode marks the end of 90210 in some ways. This drama focused on a group of young people & mainly the Walsh family as they coped with the high life in Beverly Hills. Once all the Walshes left it then had no real focus. Several plot threads had now been done before in later episodes and its interesting to note that in some of those later episodes, I don't know if the writers did this intentionally but the original characters become their original selves once again; as seen in the High School seasons and probably before Brandon arrived. Steve is the spoilt scheming money maker that doesn't care about others. Dylan is still the tragic loner on a path to self destruction, David becomes the nerdy DJ, Donna becomes the fashionable yet naive airhead and is pushed back in episodes abit, Kelly having lost her meaningful job at the hospice becomes just obsessed with dating guys again. Although this is not a bad thing it does allow us to see them more developed to fill the void the Walshes have left. I think it was just as well Brandon had left his character had been taken as far as it could, though it was down played a bit for obvious reasons. I think a montage or flash backs of previous adventures would have gone down a treat. The story Brandon tells could have happened untelevised but then he probably just elaborated it abit for Steve. After all it was him who he met first.
  • Brandon's departure = the final nail in the coffin.

This is how you know a show like this that had once been in its prime shouldn't go on for years and years. Because sooner or later, cast members you grow to love are gonna want out.

Brandon leaving was the final nail in the coffin of the show. You can't get past that. All the Walshes gone, the end. The show doesn't mean anything anymore. Luke Perry returning to fill that void doesn't make Seasons 9 and 10 any more watchable. Knowing Dylan will get back with Kelly and she will end up with him instead of Brandon makes it ten times harder. Jason Priestley is the reason so many people could stand to keep watching after Shannen Doherty's departure. When Dylan left in Season 6, I've got to be honest, it didn't really bother me. Brandon was still there. He held the show together. Priestley even directed several episodes. He also became an executive producer, showing he actually cared about the show and it wasn't just any job to him.

This episode is painful to watch because it shouldn't have come to the point where Brandon is shown to leave. If Jason wanted out so badly, then Season 8 should have had Brandon marry Kelly and all be well. End the show there. Not just do 2 more seasons for the sake of it without such an integral character. So bye Brandon, bye Beverly Hills, because the show ends here as far as I'm concerned. It's too hard to have to watch Brandon leave. Especially without Kelly.
  • Brandon's final appearance

7.2
    Loved how he stood outside the store and reflected on how he first met Donna, it would had been nice if it had actually happened on the show then they could have done flashbacks, I think they should have done flashbacks for the episode it would have been that more powerful - good song "Night Swimming" I wonder if one of the writers was a R.E.M. fan they seemed to play a lot of their songs on the show