Beverly Hills 90210

Castles in the Sand

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Aug 19, 1992 on FOX

• Growing pains, with the emphasis on the "pains" part

Remember when our favorite teens weren't all moping around, arguing non-stop, complaining, and betraying each other's trust? Yeah, those were the good old days. What I love most about 90210 is how the characters stick together through their imperfect struggles to find their own identities. The gang is no fun in this episode. In fact, most of the episode is boring; the rest is upsetting.

Brandon's girlfriend was annoying. Brenda coming back from Paris with more emotional baggage was annoying. Dylan and Kelly's sneakiness is infuriating. On the subject of Dylan and Kelly, I can't believe that he would string Brenda along like that! Dylan passes up opportunities to discuss problems with Brenda out in the open. He doesn't want to hurt her, but he too often keeps her in the dark about his true feelings until he explodes. Or cheats. With her best friend. Both Dylan and Brenda need to mature to handle a long term relationship, but at least she was honest about Rick...

Okay, I can deal with storylines that I don't like, but usually Donna or Steve will have a subplot that breaks the tension and makes it bearable. This episode has very few redeeming moments, and I'm not just talking about my hate for the infamous Kelly/Dylan/Brenda triangle of death. This one doesn't hold up to repeat viewings.